Waldo's Weekly - We're Gonna Need a Bigger Bookshelf

Kyle

13 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

So am I looking at $400-500 to catch up on M3E lore?

The books will be released over a few months by the sounds of it. It'll be expensive to collect them all, particularly at release, but I can't really see any other way for them to release books at launch with all the profiles in.

5 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

This concerns me... But it is the way to go in most wargames when the amount of models/profiles/stories are this big.

I can see it being these books at launch, another faction book when Faction X is released, and then books with background and a couple of profiles per faction, like we have had for 1st and 2nd edition.  Its just the number of profiles coming out of beta that makes a single book impractical.

Well, that's a cool thing to know. Also, having a book per faction can give each master their spotlight and I'm also hoping for some of the henchmen to get a chance to shine (feels like ages since the last time Samael did anything, though I admit I haven't been on top of the fluff for a while) with more than just their profile snippet.

• Agree 3

As long as the books aren't mandatory and the rules can be got elsewhere, I'm fine with this. I left Warhammer 40K due to the ridiculous price tag associated with trying to just get the rules to the game (it'd be like $100 a year for my factions, plus any extra books for additional rules). It honestly felt like a membership fee to be able to play the game I had already dropped thousands into in models.

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Across all of the books, we’ll be covering new characters, art, bios, and stories (so many stories!).

Above all else, though, the most important book to own is the rulebook, which will be available immediately upon Third Edition’s launch, either on our website for free or on store shelves in print.

@Deathinabox: The article says the rulebook will be free to download, previous announcements have said the cards will be free to download too, and the app will have all the profiles needed to play. Playing the game won't cost a thing if you're a current player.

The fluff will be more spread out, but that's an unfortunate side-effect of there being so many models. 

I don't really see how Wyrd could handle the change any better, to be honest. I remember picking up my first crew (Hoffman) just before the announcement of M2E, getting excited for the launch, and then finding out I couldn't actually play because he didn't have rules. This is definitely a better way to do things!

• Agree 4

I like this move! With all the models we have it's really the only way. I can't imagine a single book for every wave one model. It would also not be very practical to go through. 

With all the rules being available for free (and an app later on I presume), it doesn't really feel like a cash grab or anything like that. The art is just gorgeous, can't wait to have these babies on my shelf.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, EagerPayload said:

Can't wait to pay that $400 Aud for shipping those beautiful looking books. Also do we know if the dual faction masters/models are going to be in both books?

You might be better off asking your local gaming store to order them in for you.  Even with the retail mark-up, they might be able to do you a good deal on all of the books at once that would work out cheaper than paying initially less for them online, but then having to pay for international shipping.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, solkan said:

No cover preview for the mysterious 8th faction that Bass is in?

My guess is that faction won't be available at launch but will get a Wave 2 book instead.

Either that or they don't want to spoil the details of that faction just yet...

But with 8 books already in Wave 1, it makes sense to hold one back. Wave 1 manages the transition between M2E and M3E. Wave 2 adds the new stuff.

1 hour ago, theamazingmrg said:

My guess is that faction won't be available at launch but will get a Wave 2 book instead.

Either that or they don't want to spoil the details of that faction just yet...

But with 8 books already in Wave 1, it makes sense to hold one back. Wave 1 manages the transition between M2E and M3E. Wave 2 adds the new stuff.

There's also the question of how much beef the fancy 8th is going to have. If the idea is to have similar numbers than the other factions, well that's pretty nuts and I would expect it to have a long time in the hoven. This also means 5 new masters (McCabe and Basse are the duals) which is a brutal undertaking.

I personally expect something lighter like 2 new masters and something like 20-30 new profiles to feed all the themes and a couple of versatile models, but I'm still not expecting any of that till like half a year at least after release of 3rd

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

We've not announced prices as of yet, that'll come here shortly as we finish up a few things. That being said, rules, cards, etc - all released for free online. No one has to spend a dime on any of it if they don't care to. Now if you want nicer books, professionally printed stat cards that are coated, additional background, etc - you have other options available. 

Can we expect the pdf version to be sold on drivethrough rpg as the other books?

I really like this! The rulebook with some lore and everything you need to play, and then books with art, stories and other stuff (I like this much more than mixing everything in one book, and this gives the chance to expand each lore without getting a huge book).

I can already see myself buying all of them, plus the one for the new faction when the time comes!

1 hour ago, Curropepe said:

I love this idea!

I'm assuming dual faction masters and models will appear in both of their faction books, am I right?

this is something that sprang straight to mind, Are we gonna get Unique presentations of/stories in each book that the master(character) is in which would 'encourage' us into buying more/all books associated with our crews or are they going to be to the effect  of copy/paste jobs across books in which case paying  for the same stuff because its in different places. Either way its a bit of a pocket burner.

That said though they do look pretty and exciting (I'd hope the first of my points is the truth tbh). I just feel sad for my pocket because even though it is not mandatory to get these lets face it, they're made to be bought!

13 hours ago, Kyle said:

These stories will push the lore and world in new and exciting (sometimes scary) directions, further expanding what we’ve grown familiar. Dig deep enough into them and you’re sure to find a secret or seven along the way. Some are more obvious than others.

This is awesome. I really like the idea of faction books. My guess is that in M4E you will make keyword books :D !

Now please tell us that next week, you will publish novels set up in the Malifaux universe !

1 hour ago, yool1981 said:

This is awesome. I really like the idea of faction books. My guess is that in M4E you will make keyword books :D !

Now please tell us that next week, you will publish novels set up in the Malifaux universe !

Novels? You're not thinking big enough! Let's do a Wyrd cinematic universe :P

• Haha 4
  • Agree 2

This is very good news. I will love reading an entire book on what's going on with gremlins, and outcasts too.

With the news about a rulebook translated in french, i'm planning to get it in my natural language, to try and corrupt my friends to play with me.

Will the stat cards be printed in french too, when the french rulebook come? And what about these fluffy babies announced here, will it be translated?

9 minutes ago, LoyalSkritNa said:

This is very good news. I will love reading an entire book on what's going on with gremlins, and outcasts too.

With the news about a rulebook translated in french, i'm planning to get it in my natural language, to try and corrupt my friends to play with me.

Will the stat cards be printed in french too, when the french rulebook come? And what about these fluffy babies announced here, will it be translated?

From the M3e reveal page:

• An Accessible Rules Manual: M3E's rules and stat cards will be released online for free at release. The rules and stat cards will also be translated in seven languages at release as well: English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, and Spanish. 
  • Like 1