Waldo's Weekly - Spiders All In Tune

MattM

Hey Wyrdos!

This week we found Waldo cleaning out cobwebs from the warehouse. We thought he was just trying to be helpful, but then we noticed he’d been looking up recipes for spiders. None of us asked any questions, and we’ve been avoiding all of Waldo’s containers in the fridge. There was some commotion back there, though, and of course we went to investigate. We didn’t get a good glimpse of what gave Waldo and his Spider-Smacking Stick a run for their money. And we’re not sure we want to …

Waldo’s rather rapid retreat knocked over heaps of paperwork covered in cobwebs. We did come across one rather interesting tidbit while cleaning up though:

WaldosWeekly_4.22.2020_Document.jpg

Maybe you could find a place for him in your Through the Breach games? Of course, I’d read the report first so you know what Sonnia and the Witch Hunters have been uncovering in Malifaux…

For our Fatemasters, you can add the Spelleater to your campaign with this Augment!

Spelleaters are a great way to throw some challenges at your Fated group, especially if [REDACTED] or they like using magic. Through the Breach Augments are all about adding new challenges and curiosities to your games, and the Spelleater fits all of those categories!

Lastly, we thought we should give you all your first taste of an Explorer’s Society stat card. Looks like someone got to this card’s information, too. Hmmm… I wonder what the missing Keyword is. Either way, enjoy!

WaldosWeekly_4.22.2020_Card.jpg

That’s all for now, Wyrdos. We’ll be back here same time next week with more previews. Assuming Waldo doesn’t burn the place down… or Sonnia.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Nikshe said:

We have doubts already. Can this model give its target non-valued Conditions like Slow or Adversary?

That action specifies two things:

1.  You're ending a Condition with a value.

2.  The target gains a Condition with the same value.

"Slow" doesn't have the same value as "Burning +1".

Note that there's relevant rules text:

Some Conditions have an associated value, such as Burning +1. If a model with such a Condition gains another instance of that same Condition, the value of the gained Condition is added to the model’s existing value for that Condition to create a single Condition. For example, if a model with Burning +2 gains Burning +1, the two Conditions are combined into Burning +3.

Fast, Slow, Staggered, Stunned, and Adversary (X) don't have values.

57 minutes ago, solkan said:

That action specifies two things:

1.  You're ending a Condition with a value.

2.  The target gains a Condition with the same value.

"Slow" doesn't have the same value as "Burning +1".

Note that there's relevant rules text:

Fast, Slow, Staggered, Stunned, and Adversary (X) don't have values.

I was thinking about the benefit of hitting your own other models that have Burning/Poison/Distracted and give them Focused+2 for a min 1 damage attack.

• Like 1

The new faction can't arrive soon enough. It's this pandemic thing it's over and we have a Gen Con like it should, or at least a Gen Con sale, and the Explorer Society it's in along with the nightmare models for the pony crew... yeah, that's my wallet crying in the background. 

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

Almost. Some models, like the riders, can add suits while declaring triggers.

That... that seems really strong just built in. I hope that it is specific to this model and not the Keyword. Otherwise this new keyword is going to suck to play against.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

That... that seems really strong just built in. I hope that it is specific to this model and not the Keyword. Otherwise this new keyword is going to suck to play against.

To be fair, the units name is "Spelleater."  It's a pretty thematic ability for that name.  I can't see the rest of the Keyword sharing it.

My money is on the other Keyword's ability being the blacked out text (Arcane Shield being what it takes from Witch Hunter).

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 4/23/2020 at 8:24 AM, Paddywhack said:

I assume that the keyword-common ability is the one that's blacked out, and this ability is specific to this model. 

..... but what IF that's the keyword Ability?  What if the keyword is Abjuration?

The rest of the model doesn't do much, 1/2/3 & 2/3/4; if the whole crew is low damage but you get no triggers, it's not a bad idea.  If you can't win without your triggers, well then someone has a weakness that they are gonna have to learn to work around.

10 minutes ago, touchdown said:

The transmutation trigger seems very powerful. You can use it on friendly models and take 1 damage to end burning or poison and gain focused or shielded +2. If you don't have the tome, you can fish for it by not relenting and flipping both cards.

That's the basic plan... Give Sonnia (and another model depending on hand) burning 2 with the Purifying Flame (Fiery Presence and Hovering Flame), then turn it into Focus 2 with the Spelleaters. 

This is exactly what Sonnia needs (the other thing is pushes to get in range or out of engagement) and will be a staple in my crews in place of the Steward. 

The only bad thing is that continues to hammer the nail into the Quellers and Stalkers (enchanted!) coffin. Hopefully these will get a buff in the next errata. 

• Thanks 1

It may well be that they are all Keyword based things, or they may also be hiding new actions/abilities that get showcased better on a different card.

The Redirect Magic is a boosted couterspell. I've not heard too many complaints about counterspell, so I'm not sure how oppressive it really is, but I'm interested in the opponent having to decide if they cheat when losing to try and deny triggers.  I wonder if that suggests the new keyword also does something with suits, that they merged with Counterspell.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Adran said:

It may well be that they are all Keyword based things, or they may also be hiding new actions/abilities that get showcased better on a different card.

The Redirect Magic is a boosted couterspell. I've not heard too many complaints about counterspell, so I'm not sure how oppressive it really is, but I'm interested in the opponent having to decide if they cheat when losing to try and deny triggers.  I wonder if that suggests the new keyword also does something with suits, that they merged with Counterspell.

Yeah