2022 Monthly Painting Challenge February

Gheist

1 hour ago, Caedrus said:

Any thoughts, critiques or feedback? It's very welcome!

Some thoughts on painting fire. I'm painting the Lampads at the moment and had some new experiences with paitning fire. I struggled a bit with getting vibrant colors - though painting with heavy body single pigment colors (scale artist). What made a massive improvement was when I startet to mix in fluo paints and inks.

This month's pledge (my first) has really got me back into actually striving to finish my models. I shared my Izamu earlier in the thread, but here he is again, I also rescued (sort of) a horribly base-coated Shang that I had acquired at some point. It took a fair bit of brushing and Dettol to get it back to back to paintable condition. Also completed some poor illuminated that will see some time on the table with my growing Lynch crew. A total of 23SS.

Outside of Wyrd I painted up a Blood Angels biker Chaplain as I wanted to try out my new Artis Opus brushes on a power armoured model and I have also been attempting to work through some of my infinity backlog, especially my shasvastii as I want to use them in a tournament next month. If anyone is interested here are some of my Yu Jing and a Shasvastii Sphinx which was painted in a  simple scheme using colour shift paints. All in all, my most successful painting month in years.

20220210_221226.jpg

20220207_231102~2.jpg

20220208_101644.jpg

20220220_163547.jpg

20220220_162942.jpg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, OctaBit said:

Man this month really got away from me. Finished up these guys for Cooper but didn't get much else done unfortunately. I blame Destiny 2 and Elden ring.

PXL_20220301_220650525~2.jpg

PXL_20220301_220738702~2.jpg

Okay but playing two such immensely time-eating games is very hard. How do you even manage to eat in between? The dudes still look great.

Maybe only play Elden Ring? It's not as if Destiny still offers new stuff after 100 Years ;)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Viruk said:

@Shock & Awe - really nice work on the Knight and the OSL looks legit, seems like you identified the areas impacted by extra light quite well

@Strangely Brown - super neat work here and I love the bright shades you've used consistently. They look great as part of a larger unified group, while maintaining individuality.

@JordiFort - wow, don't even know what to begin with. Those are some of my favorite sculpts from Wyrd and you've done them justice with excellent brushwork. Lovely, saturated colors and flawless technique all around.

@Hawkoon - just when I thought a creepy kid holding her own head couldn't get any creepier :D Great work here

Thank you! Creepy is the only way to paint "kids" in Malifaux 😈

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gheist said:

Okay but playing two such immensely time-eating games is very hard. How do you even manage to eat in between? The dudes still look great.

Maybe only play Elden Ring? It's not as if Destiny still offers new stuff after 100 Years ;)

But I got to get ready for the day one raid! :P

And thanks! They maybe 1pt models but they're one of the more interesting mini games in malifaux. Just need to finish the last one. Was going to paint him up like a famous bridge man from one of my favorite book series.

Been a bit slower with painting this month, since I haven't been able to paint daily as I was outside of busy season. 

But I did do a fairly quick job on a pair of Sabertooth Cerebus that have been wait for paint since m1e. I think they came out okay, need to base them, but wait to finish the rest of my December Crew (their original spot in my life, sorry Marcus).

Fwiw, the difference in darkness of skin is due to the difference in darkness of original white primer plus black wash that I put down sometime in the early 2010s late 2000s...

16stones

(Sidenote, I had hoped this would be a celebratory paint job, but... sigh maybe next year)

-hc9dnd.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 3:02 PM, Gheist said:

You had my Singles Vote, i liked the simplicity. One day one of you guys must teach me how to make the stringy gore stuff

Thanks!

If you look for gore tutorials around, everyone uses UHU glue, I couldn't find any around, or whatever i found i wasn't sure it was the right one (UHU brand has lots of different kinds of glue).

So i tried with an universal glue, one of those used for rubber, or metal, is one that when dries is rubbery and elastic, the one i used had a yellow matt finish, but since i was going to paint it anyway I didn't mind (i think UHU is transparent, that's why is more common, you can do spit with it).

The point is you put a drop of this glue wherever you want an end of the gory string, and with a toothpick you pull it to the other end.  Once stuck and dry, the string even if thin, is very resistant.

I did some tests in an empty sprue, to get the grip on consistency, length and amount of glue, when i kind of got it i went to do it in the mini, surprisingly easy, and satisfying results ^^

later for the blood my to go product is citadel "blood for the blood god" i don't have many citadel products, but I couldn't find any other that matches the results i get with this 👌

• Thanks 1