2022 Monthly Painting Challenge February

Gheist

It is my honour to introduce month number two of this years painting challenge, copy everything from recent threads and boldly state that i made a contribution.

From when i write this, january has been a crazy good month in the painting challenge with so many awesome works shared, i am pretty hyped for the rest of 2022!

If you are new to this, the rules for this competition are HERE

This month Masterclass theme will be my favourite money sink:       P A I N T

Tell us what paints you use, what type, brand, how and if you dilute them and with what, do you mix them yourself, paint from the pot, what would like to try out, maybe someone in here has got you covered

fire away

Is-spray-paint-flammable.thumb.jpg.78e089cfe58cc2acac3b1dd7c300a1c0.jpg

P.S.: posted this earlier because my weekend timeframe looks horribly full

• Like 3

My pledge for Feb is currently looking to be more Gibbering Hordes. Going to look to get the Frenzy painted up for my third commander option and also all of the chitin covered models (armoured whelks, Karkinoi and 2 egg clusters). On top of that I've ordered some 120mm round bases that I'm going to turn into tidepool markers for the faction and I have Yarazi and Spiked Crawlers sitting around too, so any of those might get some work put into them once I'm done with the main pledge. There's an alpha crawler and 2 sets of speckled crawlers sitting around too but they are waiting for March (I want to paint them at the same time to have better consistency between them)

• Like 1

As far as paint goes, I use a little of everything, even some craft store paint bottles (totally doable, you'll just be thinning them a lot more) but mostly I've found I like vallejo. Not only do they have good paint, it comes in dropper bottles. Shake, pop a few drop onto my palette (wet palette from Redgrass Games, love it) thin with water (a drop or two of water for vallejo, more for the craft store paint) mix until roughly milk consistency, paint onto mini with brush. Hasn't steered me wrong yet, but I'm always looking for new techniques.

As for this month, finishing up the three I started last month but not quite finished: Bokor, Jinn, and Ivan: Double Agent.large.20220131_185915.jpg.1fe1c45cc48b9eb907f4a17d68da4b7f.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hobby Wyrd said:

@Gheist how many SS would you say she is?

20220131_210312.thumb.jpg.66c1fe38764630a170b54ef919acef12.jpg

if my eyes do not betray me if thats the 32mm variant i would say it's a master and thus she'll be 15 SS.

I am unsure what the 75mm version would net someone to paint, but unless someone opposes me there i would go with my gut feeling and say same as TOS Titan, 25SS

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gheist said:

if my eyes do not betray me if thats the 32mm variant i would say it's a master and thus she'll be 15 SS.

I am unsure what the 75mm version would net someone to paint, but unless someone opposes me there i would go with my gut feeling and say same as TOS Titan, 25SS

No @Gheist that is the 75mm one. Check it out - 

@Hobby Wyrd - I think Gheist's call of putting it at 25ss sounds fair though. 

However, just for clarification sake, can someone tell me what the standard base size is for a TOS Titan (said the man who only knows 'faux :) ) 

Another option would be to call it 30ss, since it is over double the size of the 32mm version (and she's a master - thus, 15x2). But I'll leave @Gheist to make the final call on that.

WYR19006_Iconic_ScorchtheSoul_Back.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone :D

I have noticed that not everybody who has pledged has filled out the soulstone Reporting form that @Shock & Awe has been kind enough to supply.

So, to remember you of this: at the end of the month, when finished painting stuff for the month ---> take 1 minute to fill in the Soulstone reporting form, makes all our lives easier. Well mostly shock's and mine, but nevermind :D So please go ahead and do that until let's say 15th of February at which day i will start PMing you like the horribly annoying person i am.

The Monthly Soulstone Reporting Form

CLICK HERE!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shock & Awe said:

No @Gheist that is the 75mm one. Check it out - 

@Hobby Wyrd - I think Gheist's call of putting it at 25ss sounds fair though. 

However, just for clarification sake, can someone tell me what the standard base size is for a TOS Titan (said the man who only knows 'faux :) ) 

Another option would be to call it 30ss, since it is over double the size of the 32mm version (and she's a master - thus, 15x2). But I'll leave @Gheist to make the final call on that.

WYR19006_Iconic_ScorchtheSoul_Back.png

@Hobby Wyrd@Shock & Awe i am good with either, so call her 30SS :Di am really curious how she looks painted

Can give you measurements of Titan Base this evening when i am at home, have to unpack one

• Like 1

I'll keep chipping away at my woes this month as well, got quite a few models left for a full kw...  (Think I'll be doing some Lyssa this month)

As to paints I don't really have a strict routine. I got paint from GW, Vallejo, Army Painter and Scale75. I have a small collection of Scale75 artists paints that I am gradually growing very fond of as they have a very vibrant saturation.

I switch between airbrush and wetpalette and never paint straight out of the bottle. (except sometimes with contrast paints)

When using airbrush I thin/mix paints in an old blisterpack then pour the mix through a strainer that fits into the airbrush cup (very handy).

@Shock & Awe Titans are on 120mm base if i recall correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joining in on the fun.
Plans for this Month: Finish the Bandits. 1 Bandido, 1 Bayou Smuggler, 1 Dead Outlaw, Parker, 2 Wokou Raiders.
For a total of 48 Soulstones. Photos will follow once i'm home.

As for colors i'm mostly using Scale75 with some Vallejo thrown in because i still had those. Thinned both usually simply with water. Some times i'll go with airbrush thinner thought if i am going for very thin glazes.

20220201_224711.jpg

Edited by Spitfire
Added files
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Shock & Awe said:

Sweet Pete, 120mm... that is bonkers. 

Now I kinda want to buy one just to see all that plastic :) ... and it also makes the $75 price tag a bit more understandable. 

The Horomatangi does look cool. Darn you Wyrd.... you're gonna end up with all my pennies :( 

Sadly the base looks a little too big for Horo, but the Goryshche fills it pretty well. A certain other pirate company has some nice big models on 120mm bases as well. (Got an Archangel and a Storm raptor that are pretty huge and flashy).

44 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

Sadly the base looks a little too big for Horo, but the Goryshche fills it pretty well. A certain other pirate company has some nice big models on 120mm bases as well. (Got an Archangel and a Storm raptor that are pretty huge and flashy).

Yeah, Horo has a lot of dead space on his base so you need to do something with it to stop him looking like he is standing alone in the middle of nowhere. A little bit of height from flock and rubble (or I imagine any fancier basing techniques) sorts that out though). Alpha Crawler and Gorysche by contrast really take up the room and from what screenshots I have seen Kingshand and Dreadnought also fill it out.

Having looked recently at options to base some tidepool markers off of (also 120mm) you can actually get some pretty nice premade resin bases if that tickles your fancy at 120mm due again to the fact that the aforementioned pirate company also has things that use that base size. If shopping for them though be careful to get round 120mm bases as a well known Nottingham based company does models on oval 120mm by 80mm bases so a lot of "120mm bases" people advertise are actually those.

Caedrus, pledging in!

For the shortest month, I shall be making a pretty basic pledge, albeit with some stretch goals.

It's time for some Wildfire!

This month I'll be painting Alt Kaeris and Alt Firestarter. That should reach my 21+ SS pledge.

After that, it'll be the Eternal Flame (which I can't type without singing the song), and the guys pictured here!

w9R3MaG.jpg

Have a fantastic February, and stay safe, friends!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

I'll start February with work during painting stream later tonight (9 pm CET / 3 PM EST) and I'll be finishing the BEdeviled Kettle, potentially starting on Prince Toaden and Alt Mama Z. 

painters-challenge-february2022-WIP0.jpg

I have some ambitious plans for other minis this month but a lot depends on the international shipping. As always, looking forward to what everyone comes up with and reading your paint recommendations.

• Like 4

It's been an interesting end to January with some rando things in the mix, but now it's back to painting :) 

My plans for the month: Need to finish my W&W set, and all that's left is Pandora. 

Once she's done I'm going to move on to the Autumn Knights. I'll try and crank out all three, but I'm going to aim for two. 

That should net me 29ss if I get Pandora and two knights. Here's hoping ;) 

IMG_4424.thumb.jpg.94db6ff90a966f84fbdadc16a6bf95ad.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

• Like 3

allright minimum Pledge for this month looks like:

rIxg4jL.jpg

I'll just start right now i guess. I think the rest depends on which Parcel comes when, if nothing arrives i'll try an have another go at painting nexus

Does Old McCabe net 30SS because he is two Models? Feels like cheating

Okay rambling about paints:

I started on Vallejo and build like have desk full and then for some Reason bought a lot of Citadel stuff as well. When Playing Warhammer i was heavily into metallics (go Grey Knights etc.) which I am avoiding at the moment to further my skills (i hope)

Since Playing Malifaux i am  using Vallejo and Liquitex Inks as well as GW Contrast Paints on a Greyscale Sketch (See Picture above) because it's the least time consuming while effortless method of painting for me at the moment. I go back on the highlights with stock paints. Thus i am using a lot of water / matte varnish / glaze medium as thinners.

For Airbrush i thin everything using Vallejo Airbrush Thinner / Flow Aid / Airbrush Cleaner (yeah intentionally after i unintentionally grabbed the wrong bottle and it worked kind of good).

My biggest issue is: i bought Kymera Artist Acrylics and a S******* of oil paints, but i can't for the life of me make a start on new techniques. Also i get a headache or simply get pretty drugged from most Oil Colour solvents 😕

so to sum up: never refrain from mixing stuff from different brands, you can always learn a lot and EVERYTHING does go through an airbrush eventually if you are pigheaded enough

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

I too am really looking forward so seeing her painted. Also, if you don't mind, throw up a picture of the model next to one of the other Sonnia 32mm so I can get an idea of the size. 

That's a bit princessy of me to ask, so feel free to ignore it :) 

Here, snapped this on lunch for ya.

20220201_132902.thumb.jpg.b892f043be313d6c91aea071b931acd3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Planning on finishing these guys this month (the egg hauler is already nearly finished), and after that, whatever takes my fancy that’s lying around!

I almost exclusively use citadel paints (despite their flaws) because they’re easy to get hold of and I hate dropper bottles (unpopular opinion, I know). I have a few game/model colour Vallejo paints, but I find they lack pigment or something; the colour never seems to give as good coverage as my GW paints.

D806AD96-DA20-4E56-AD54-F106933EE7E0.jpeg

• Like 3