2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Caedrus

It's June, already?

This is the thread for the June 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. It's June! June's birthstone … well, there’s three of them! Alexandrite, Moonstone, and Pearl. Like Alexandrite, why not try a colour change paint this month? Or use a pearlescent paint effect?

It’s also National Flag Month, so why not try painting a miniature using (or mixing) only the colours of your flag (Sorry, Japan and Canada)? It’s also LGBT Pride month, so now might be a good time to do some rainbow work!

In May, we saw some wonderful scenery, some gorgeous paint jobs, and a fellow painter get access to some mysterious pre-release sculpts. This month, a change approaches. June is the absolute, last, final month of using the M2E SS values. Next month, we shift to M3E!

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here.

Who knows what June will bring?

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!

2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.

3. Being part of a great, friendly community.

4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:

5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

• Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

• Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

• Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

• Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2019. 

• Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.

• Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.

• You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.

• A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but

• Masters count for 15 soulstones.

• Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.

• Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.

• Commanders count for 15 soulstones.

• Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.

• A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.

• A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.

• Custom tokens are worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.

• A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

3rd Edition Changeover!

Since Malifaux 3rd Edition hits on June 28th, from July 1st, we'll be using the M3E values from that point on.

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.

2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.

3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.

4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.

5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.

6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.

7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for June!

Caedrus.

Caedrus, reporting in!

So, my pledge for June is to paint, at minimum, one single Death Marshall. Or to finish the ones I've started (and promptly lost the Pine Boxes for). Maybe I'll paint that Miss Terious that's haunting me.

Stretch Goals? I've got two half-finished Sonnia, a Judge, a Rifleman, and two Resser Hounds sitting on my Shelf of Shame. Which means I'll probably prime something else and get all caught up in that. Then I'll promise myself that I won't go nuts with M3E pre-releases, then I'll pretty much immediately go nuts.

In May, I also bought more eBay rescues. Because wisdom is my dump-stat.

Have a fantastic June, fellow painters!

Caedrus

P.S.: I'll update the spreadsheet very soon. I promise.

• Like 3

Goals, still in sprue:

alt Ototo (9ss)

Sun Quiang (8ss)

aaand...

Samurai (8ss), primed.

Ought to get more done but those are things I know for sure. Might do some speedpaints for Gibbering Hordes collective at the LGS, still undecided on that. Got Komainu and Toshiro I ordered three months ago that may or may not show up in time this month. Other miscellaneous stuff.

Have a good month everyone!

• Like 4

pic4771274.jpgpic4771275.jpg

Almost built the little brother. Helmet isn't glued yet. So... I could cut off that nub that connects to his helmet. Paint the flat top of his head just like hair texture and most wouldn't be able to tell the difference at a gaming table. I reckon he looks pretty good without the helmet. But that might be my preference for hair talking. Gonna sleep on it and have a chat with the wife over the weekend.

Also built the King of Medicine. His arms were tiny!

• Like 6

So my dreams of playing with a fully painted company at the first London TOS tourney on the 15th are slowly dissolving under a torrent of work and responsibilities (jeez that was dramatic) but I'm gonna get as much done as possible. So this month I'll be starting with the remaining 4 ECB, Adeodatos and the Rhino. Anything else is a bonus. Here's the same pic as last month as I can't be arsed to take a new one minus the few i painted

Ll2wodE.jpg

• Like 7

Hi there!

My pledge for June will be only three models as a I need to paint some Blood bowl models, so...

* Dashel Barkers, 15 SS (because I need to maximize the amount of SS per model for this month 😂)

* Pale rider, 11 SS (he will be best friends with Sonnia and the Riot breakers)

* Doppleganger, 8 SS (I need her for the Lucius list)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am going to paint ALLL THREE Young Lacroix. Might not seem like much but it's three times what I usually paint. Wish me luck :D 

Looking forward to seeing everyone's minis! I don't comment much, but I look and like everything. This is easily the best thread on the forum.

• Like 7

Hello,

Going to pledge a Riotbreaker for 6ss:

IMG-20190605-151250.jpg

Surely I'm going to paint some new spaceship too: sorry for @Franchute but they'll be dark blue and not purple! :P

I plan to work some new scenic component for my modular table...... guess this month will have some bridge. I'll post the relative picture as soon as I'll have assembled them.

Happy month and nice pledge to all of you!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last month was 213 SS for me @Caedrus

This month I've got a bit of non-Wyrd commission painting to deal with. So I'm going to keep it light for the challenge and stick with the house i didn't manage to finish last month, and a few proxies for my TOS Kings Empire Company;

mQk2VOb.jpg

It's not as much work as it looks. The TOS company is going to be painted in a simple (yet hopefully striking) monochrome scheme. ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think it has been clear I have committment issues 😊

The other day I quickly painted Colette's totems instead of working on the fire golem I pledged, or even the Kaeris model I mentioned. I guess I needed to feel the satisfaction of finishing a model.

@Caedrus I have three mechanical doves for 6ss so far:

D942-B385-F742-4036-A1-DC-55-C9-AFC744-A
5-CE8-A793-CECC-4760-89-C5-4-B4-A5-F10-D

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Caedrus, checking in!

So, my apologies for the lack of images to accompany this post. I've been working on my Death Marshall today, and I have a WIP all ready to go, but imgur isn't liking the uploading at the moment.

So, how's the Wyrd Weekend treating you, fellow painters?

Caedrus.

P.S.: I do love a @Franchute base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, after finishing this behemoth of a piece:

R2jllxI.jpg

And after spilling an entire bottle of hexwraith flame on my clothes and carpet...

I'm honestly pretty burnt out on painting 😅. For now, I'll just pledge two Hanged:

sDymIzN.jpg

Hope everyone is having a good summer (or winter for those in the Southern Hemisphere)! 

• Like 7

I pledge Hamelin for 15 SS :)

I am not sure if I will be able to finish him this month since I am leaving for holidays in 10 days, which also means that I have to serve both weekends (I believe that is the right word :D Serve, as in hospital.). The colour scheme I chose is quite time-consuming as well.

But I will give it everything :)

• Like 4

"Hey! People of Wyrd Forums!" I cried.
"Excuse me, coming through. Step aside!"

"I said, make room. Make room!
Since here comes a poem just for @Wintergloom."

"I would have never guessed that me, a humble clown,
could make you sad, break your heart and let you down.

Believe me, for that I am truly sorry,
but do not fret, my friend, and do not worry.

Its like my mama said, there is always next time,
plenty of opportunities in life to rhyme.

Not that these announcements matter,
but from a scratch, once again and better.

People of Wyrd Forums, listen and hear that,
I pledge Hamelin, master of all things rat."

• Like 1
  • Haha 8