2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

Another month begins!

This is the thread for the April 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. April: a time for fools! Last month, we saw some magnificent painting. Really, truly, jaw-dropping. We saw some 'Best-Painted' award-winning painting from @Stranglelove, and some previews of Wyrd's Adepticon Scenery from @Kimberly

The link to the spreadsheet is here.

We saw lots and lots of cats. Which I love. And I mean, come on, this is the internet.

Who knows what April will bring?

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2019. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value;
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • Custom tokens are worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

3rd Edition?

If Malifaux 3rd Edition hits in 2019, then the month that the PDF version is available, we will begin using the new values if they differ from M2E.

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for April!

Caedrus.

• Like 2

My April Pledge:

idqA4vt.jpg

My April pledge is a damn-near finished Canine Remains (4SS). I have another that is even-more-damn-near-finished, so expect at least 8SS this month.

Stretch Goals?

A Death Marshall (6SS), a Death Marshall Recruiter (7SS), an Executioner (9SS), a Guild Rifleman (5SS), and the Wendigo (3SS).

The Executioner (awful, potato-quality photo) is actually near finished, and being used as another painting-challenge contestant. Expect him to be completed as well.

The recruiter will be a gender-conversion Green Stuff effort. My Green Stuff skills are ... not great.

Wish me luck!

Have a fantastic April, and keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 5

Last month I finished my pledge early, so I had time to start prepping my second-hand gremlins. These models are tiny!!! So this month I hope to maybe finally finish my Pandy pledged in February (that mini is a real struggle, she hates me) and paint as many Lacroix as I can. I've been having difficulties with my back, so I'll see how it goes.

WP-20190315-17-36-29-Pro.jpg

• Like 7

At the end of April I'll be attending the Welsh GT. I've never used an unpainted mini at a tournament (its a personal rule I have given myself) so with that in mind this month I need to finish my Tormented and Experimental crews

My April pledge will be Jaakuna Ubume, at least one crooked man, and a Kentauroi

Stretch Goals - Will be finishing off my Puppets - so Bunraku/Hodgepodge Effigy/Carrion Effigy

Stretch stretch Goals (unlikely but you've gotta dream big) - More cult of the burning man

• Like 3

Here's my pledge for April. Two Samurai for something different (will be using colorshift paints on their armors), two Myrandas (fitting them onto bases was a lot of fun, I needed to use some GS there) and two Sabretooth Cerberuses (once again, making sure they both fit into the bases I had for them was a bit tricky but I think now they look like they fit there perfectly)/

painterschallenge-2019-april-wip.jpg

• Like 6

Lots going on this month: getting a few Arcanists ready for an end of beta M3E tourney next weekend, namely new "basing" for Colette's Doves in the form of her Avatar models, Mouse, and a Medi-Bot, for a total of 11ss (or 21ss if I manage to fit The Captain in as a stretch goal).

Then, the real fun begins: after that tourney I'll be putting my Arcanists aside for a minute and focusing on Thunders as a way to better shift gears back from beta testing to playing for fun, and trying something new. As many of you have seen with my Justice League Arcanists, I like to theme things, so I've developed a bit of an art project.

I'll be making my Misaki crew into team RWBY from Rooster Teeth's show of the same name. Misaki herself is painted, I'll just be modifying her weapon a bit, and Shang is getting re-done to be Zwei fully. The rest of the core will be Minako as Yang, Crime Boss as Weiss, a Torakage as Blake, and Katashiro as Blake's semblance shadows. I'll be adding more in later months (like Ren as a Thunders Brother) but want to get the 4 of them done to start off. Wish me luck!

large.20190325_200744.jpg.0227ab8bdaffc700b601c27e54933fdf.jpglarge.20190331_171011.jpg.f2d1fb3a3c95c2ffe84aeee7b39f25de.jpglarge.20190331_170848.jpg.b4fd2d27d1c5f5de0dc95acb9139df65.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Franchute said:

Do you guys know a tutorial on how to do the popular yellow-black orkish 40k style I could apply on this robot? You see what I mean?

Sorry I'm not familiar with WH 40,000...... That mini was one of the first I painted: bare metal washed with a matt black and few details evidenced with some spots of a different shade.

15 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

Sorry I'm not familiar with WH 40,000...... That mini was one of the first I painted: bare metal washed with a matt black and few details evidenced with some spots of a different shade.

I'm not a 40k player either, but on the following minis I see some of the yellow and black pattern I was referring too. The thing is that I'm afraid of doing something wrong with the stripes:

1 hour ago, Purple Mist said:

Thanks, now I know it's old Colette Crew, metal version I guess!

Those three are actually the metal Colette Avatar from 1E. Instead of going to a 50mm like most of the others, she became three 30mm, two of which were essentially illusions. A friend got these for me a while back and I'm making them the basing for Colette's dove so they'll be in every game with her and will really give a sense of a whole magician's act/theater troupe even if I end up using a few versatile models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My pledge for April is my scratch built Som'er Teeth Jones proxy. 

I never really liked the noseless, Roswell green aesthetic for Gremlins so I gave him more pronounced features, pretty happy with how it turned out.

Since the whole crew will be scratch built I'm going for a bit if an alt look. The idea is that they're more of an undiscovered tribe than hillbillies. Figured the more basic technology is easier to sculpt and if I want to use a bunch of random bits I can say it's some sort of cargo cult thing to explain any mismatched parts.

rSNai0pl.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Hey there!

For April I'll try to finish the Ortega family adding the Abuela plus Nino Ortega, and then start with the Lucius crew I'd test for M3E, so I'll go for Lucius, the Scribe and Ryle.

* Abuela Ortega: 5 SS

* Nino Ortega: 7 SS

* Lucius: 15 SS

* The scribe: 2 SS

* Ryle: 10 SS

For a total of 39 SS

• Like 4