Waldo's Weekly - Heart of the Sea

Kyle

Hey Wyrdos,

This week, Waldo wanted to go scuba diving. Once he realized that he’d need to take lessons, the pressure was too much. Deep down, he realized it wasn’t for him.

So while we hold our breath, let’s take a look at this year’s Nightmare Edition models!

If you’re new to us or Malifaux, every year (right around this time) we release alt models for an existing crew box. These Nightmare Edition models are a celebration of the weird, wild, and wicked, and are only made available at certain times of the year. So far in Third Edition, we have skipped ahead in time to take a look at Malifaux 1988, and explored uncharted seas with Brine and Bones. This year, we’re venturing beneath the ocean waves and down into the Deepest Depths.

That’s right; Nekima and her Nephilim crew are receiving the Nightmare treatment this time around. But unlike our previous Nightmare boxes, this one won’t just be exclusive to Malifaux. More on that in a bit. First, let’s take a look at Adi Adara, the alt version of Nekima, and the incredible new design for their Malifaux stat cards.

WaldosWeekly_9.1.2021_Art-AdiAdara.jpg

At her side (and replacing the Blood Hunter) is The Lagan, a group of terrifying and bloodthirsty eels guarding their latest catch. Under the sea, the Terror Tots have been replaced with adolescent and fully aquatic Trenchlings. Once they’ve grown up a bit, those little horrors become Reefdwellers, and are now responsible for protecting Adi Adara’s underwater kingdom.

WaldosWeekly_9.1.2021_Nightmare2021.jpg

These unassembled miniatures won’t just be climbing atop the Malifaux shores, though. On Earth, Adi Adara and her oceanic infantry will also be joining the battle in The Other Side. Inside this Nightmare Edition box, you’ll also receive unit cards to replace characters in the Gibbering Hordes.

In The Other Side, Adi Adara counts as a Stormsiren, the Lagan and Trenchlings each count as Egg Clutches, and the Reefdwellers count as Morphlings. The characters are on the same base sizes for both The Other Side and Malifaux, so you’ll be able to include them in both games faster than the tide rolls in.

WaldosWeekly_9.1.2021_Card-Reefdweller.jpg

You can get your hands on this year’s Nightmare Edition box either at Gen Con or on our webstore during the big event. Gen Con starts September 16th and ends the 19th – just a few weeks away! And if you can’t make it this year, make sure to head to our webstore on Wednesday, September 15th.

We’ll see you there!

WaldosWeekly_9.1.2021_Nightmare2021Box.jpg

Our friends at Customeeple are joining our pool party with some brand new terrain. This sunken pirate ship is perfect for players who want to duke it out as Mary “Blacktongue” Bonnet and her undead pirates against Adi Adara and her black blooded mermen. You can pick up this fantastic terrain and all sorts of Malifaux-themed tokens right now on their webstore.

deadtide-presentacionB.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Our friends at Customeeple are joining our pool party with some brand new terrain. This sunken pirate ship is perfect for players who want to duke it out as Mary “Blacktongue” Bonnet and her undead pirates against Adi Adara and her black blooded mermen. You can pick up this fantastic terrain and all sorts of Malifaux-themed tokens right now on their webstore.

Kinda frustrating that they produced a new nightmare marker set... But haven't updated their markers to match m3e? 7 soulstones + paralyzed markers + no distracted?  Seems sloppy work as m3e has been out for a while now.

17 minutes ago, muraki said:

Kinda frustrating that they produced a new nightmare marker set... But haven't updated their markers to match m3e? 7 soulstones + paralyzed markers + no distracted?  Seems sloppy work as m3e has been out for a while now.

I believe the seahorse tokens under the campus one are representing Distracted. What they have missed is Adversary.

1 hour ago, Rufess said:

I believe the seahorse tokens under the campus one are representing Distracted. What they have missed is Adversary.

From their site:

The pack includes:

• 7  Soulstone markers
  • 5 “sunken ship” Scheme markers
  • 5 “sunken treasure” Strategy Marker
  • Poison flag markers
  • 3 Drowned Corpse markers (Red fluor)
  • 8 “Wave” Activated markers (Smoke trans)
  • 16 Wound markers (8 small, 4 mediums, 4 big) (Red fluor)
  • 3 Fast & Focus”compass” markers (Yellow fluor) 
  • 2 Slow markers (Blue fluor)
  • 3 Shielded “shell” stance (Blue fluor)
  • 3 Paralyzed markers
  • 3 injured “broken paddle” markers
  • 1 Stunned “fish” Marker violet
  • 2 staggered
  • 3 confused “Seahorse” markers

Obviously you could repurpose some of them, is just still annoying that they haven't seemingly updated to m3e.

27 minutes ago, muraki said:

From their site:

The pack includes:

• 7  Soulstone markers
  • 5 “sunken ship” Scheme markers
  • 5 “sunken treasure” Strategy Marker
  • Poison flag markers
  • 3 Drowned Corpse markers (Red fluor)
  • 8 “Wave” Activated markers (Smoke trans)
  • 16 Wound markers (8 small, 4 mediums, 4 big) (Red fluor)
  • 3 Fast & Focus”compass” markers (Yellow fluor) 
  • 2 Slow markers (Blue fluor)
  • 3 Shielded “shell” stance (Blue fluor)
  • 3 Paralyzed markers
  • 3 injured “broken paddle” markers
  • 1 Stunned “fish” Marker violet
  • 2 staggered

Obviously you could repurpose some of them, is just still annoying that they haven't seemingly updated to m3e.

That IS updated.  2e didn't have the standardized list of conditions that 3e does (or at least not as long of one).

Not saying that explains why distracted isn't there, but the reason isn't because they haven't updated yet

3 hours ago, Clement said:

That IS updated.  2e didn't have the standardized list of conditions that 3e does (or at least not as long of one).

Not saying that explains why distracted isn't there, but the reason isn't because they haven't updated yet

Well, seeing as there is no 'confused' as far as I can recall, I'm pretty sure those are the Distracted tokens. 

19 hours ago, Butch said:

Awesome. Maybe I'll build a diorama out of these. Too good!

TOS bases are a good base to build diaramas out of, whilst still having playable models. 

This does look like a very nice set and I really love that it is a nightmare edition for both games. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 6:48 AM, ThreeBatts said:

I've been getting into dioramas myself as of late so I may be doing the same thing.

If you're just getting into dioramas I'd like to give you the IMO the most important advice: you cannot underestimate the importance of composition!

I've seen a lot of pretty good painted diorams at conventions which didn't look as good as they could if there had been more thought on composition. Some "rules" are so easy to follow (never put stuff parallel to the base) but make a huge difference.

Just need to make sure (English is not my primary language) - will this box only be available during gencon, like the zoraida box, or will it be available at other certain events like black Friday or even next year?

EDIT: also, why 2 terror tot alternates, not 3? Can they be bought separately so as to get full availability?

10 hours ago, Strangedane said:

EDIT: also, why 2 terror tot alternates, not 3? Can they be bought separately so as to get full availability?

The tricky thing is that this underwater theme is really edging into the Swampfiend (Gupp, Silurid, Spawn Mother) territory.  Because a Gupp (you get nine to put three to a base in the Spawn Mother box), or a Puppet Wars Silurid (it looks like a baby Silurid sitting in a kettle) seem like they'd fit the look Wyrd has going for this release.  But those are "buy a boxed set for a single model" suggestions...

Disclaimer:  My Deepest Depths box is scheduled to arrive Monday or Tuesday, and I'm not sure how big the Trenchlings are.  It's possible you could just use an Egg Clutch model, but I thought there was a pretty big size difference between a Terror Tot and an Egg Clutch.

• Thanks 1