2019 Monthly Painting Challenge

Franchute

Hello,

I'm opening this thread to organize ourselves for the 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge, but @Caedrus will be the one running it. Thanks a lot to him! The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. At the beginning of the year, you announce how many soulstones you will be painting during each month of the year 2019 by choosing your pledge category. 

The idea of this thread is twofold:

• Please announce here if you want to enroll and for which pledge category
  • We should discuss how to adjust the rules of the challenge.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The challenge will start on January 1st 2019. The rules we have agreed upon so far are the following:

• Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will automatically be used because we missed January; if you start in March, two mulligans will already be used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • Terrain is worth 5 soulstones per 50mm base.
  • This year we'll also consider The Other Side miniatures for the challenge. The Malifaux conversion for these minis will be the following: i)  Fireteams are worth their unit cost in Soulstones; ii) Titans are worth triple their value, just from size and complexity; iii) Commanders, like Masters, are worth 15 Soulstones.
  • Like 3

Greetings, fellow painters and Wyrdos!

@Franchute: First of all, my enormous thanks to Franchute for organising this challenge this year.

I should introduce myself. Caedrus here. I'm a gamer and painter from Australia. I spend more time painting than gaming nowadays (because trying to get my nerd crew together is like herding cats). I've been playing Malifaux for a few years, but I've been playing role-playing games and wargames for over thirty years.

As a painter and a gamer, my philosophy is simple: If everyone is enjoying themselves, you're doing it right. I think that if you're happy with a paintbrush in your hand, then all is as it should be: I often have a Bob Ross video playing while I paint! I think this challenge is, and should remain, about having fun painting, encouragement, being part of a great community, and constructive advice (in that order).

I'll be running the Challenge, but remember, I'm just a player and painter like you. I'm not the boos here. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I have asked the Wyrd staff if they would consider supporting the Wyrd Painting Challenge, and at this time, it looks like the supported idea is a forum badge (like the 'Creature Feature' badge, for example) for those completing the challenge (that is, completing 2019 with 2 or less mulligans). I'd like to note that this is not yet confirmed, and is currently with Wyrd's Kimberley, who is kindly pursuing this.

I shall be completing the Google-Spreadsheet link shortly. In the meantime, Welcome to the challenge, please invite your friends, and keep putting pigment to plastic!

See you in 2019!

Caedrus.

• Like 3

Sign me up as an Enforcer and consider me interestedly watching for further developments from Caedrus! Seconded thanks to @Franchute for running the challenge through 2018, it's been a nice constant amid all the craziness (in the world in general and me personally).

As for TOS, I'm still thinking of good ways to measure progress, since unit costs generally equal 6-9 models spread across 2-3 fireteams, but then there are also Titans (for roughly the same cost as a unit) and commanders/champions, which are generally single model units on a 40-50mm base. Maybe something like each fireteam is worth the SS equal to their unit's cost? Double or triple for the Titans (they're seriously massive and glorious) and 15 for commanders, just like masters? I'm just brainstorming here if anyone else has better ideas.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of your effort, @Franchute! Unfortunately I dropped-out fairly early during the 2018 challenge as things got more personally difficult. I hope to start a new medical treatment soon that will hopefully solve some of the problems of 2018 (and before).

In light of that, I would like to please sign up again as a Minion, and I hope I get all the way through the coming year this time.

Thanks for putting your hand up, @Caedrus😊

• Like 2

@Franchute really appreciate how much you put into running this years and for chasing us up when we haven’t been in touch. It really has kept me getting paint on minis and seeing everyone’s work has kept me motivated.

I would definitely be up for entering next years @Caedrus happy to post in another post if you start one up, but will pledge for Master level at the moment (Have 12 unpainted masters so that is likely my goal next year).

• Like 2

I had a lot of life drama happen this year so I’m hoping to be more active in my painting and this community going forward. @Franchute you’re awesome for giving us this outlet and I’ll happily support @Caedrus taking up the mantle. Sign me up for the master category because I need to push myself to get through my back log of minis XD

• Like 3

@Franchute thank you so much for running the challenge ❤️ This was my first year and I had a great time in our little community. You were all very helpful with your advice and comments, I appreciate it a lot. I even learnt how to use GreenStuff to hide gaps, yay!

@Caedruscontacting Wyrd sounds like a great idea. I hope you'll be our new chief for 2019 ;) 

I will sign up for the next year as an Enforcer. A step up from this year's Minion pledge :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hello, Wyrdos and Painters!

This year, @Franchute ran an absolutely excellent community painting challenge. In 2019, I’ll try my hand at the challenge. Franchute has posted the new version of the rules above. The image below shows the sort of thing I'm talking about for terrain pricing.

Idea 1: Terrain.

Terrain is worth 5 soulstones per 50mm base. Here’s a piece of unfinished terrain (shot from above, it’s a subway entry). This would be worth 15 Soulstones.

bMbXhCe.jpg

@Boomstick

Achievements.

I thought it might be fun to encourage everyone to push outside of their comfort zones in 2019. Much like Achievements in the online gaming world, I thought it might be fun to put up a list of Achievements in painting. These are for fun, to try something new, and to generally encourage getting pigment onto plastic!

If you're looking for some painting inspiration, or just for a way to challenge yourself, here's the list!

I look forward to painting alongside you all next year.

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

Edited by Caedrus
Important stuff added to Franchute's post at the top.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

First of all, thank you so very much @Franchute for your hard work and your patience, you rock! Wonderful job in the 2018 challenge!

Second, @Caedrus thank you very much for taking the role! I really like your ideas, only thing is that if I show you my worst model I don't want anybody complaining about how they lost their sight, :D

And third, sing me up as Emissary!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2018 at 9:55 AM, Franchute said:

Count me in as an enforcer @Caedrus please. Thanks a lot for your help this year.

@Caedrus I changed my mind. Sign me as a henchman please ;) 

By the way, I am fine with all your ideas. I have no clew about the other side though: I havent looked at the game yet.

@FranchuteThanks for your efforts this year, well done! :)

@Caedrus Thanks for picking up the mantle and running 2019. Nice ideas for the changes.

I'm also stealing your format of listing a single model and trying for extra stretch goals with what I paint each month. Don't think I'll keep up with your efforts but I like the idea of the system so sign me up for 2019 as a "minion" please.

• Like 1

@Caedrus Sign me up for Minion level, if you would.  I have to aim a bit low this year so I can keep up with the other games.  However, I would have felt bad giving it a miss entirely with a new person taking the helm.  Thanks again for taking this on, Caedrus.

@Franchute Well done this year!  Thanks for all your work, especially the SS errors I made a few times.  

• Like 1

First of all thanks once again @Franchute for all your diligence 👍 - I look forward already to seeing what you will paint next year...and @Caedrus thankyou for taking this on 👍 it brings a great amount of enjoyment each month notwithstanding juggling free time with work

I will definitely be back in January...not sure at what level....I have got a ton of TOS figures to paint and kind of want to use the Challenge as a lever to getting them on the table

@Caedrus A question re TOS "soulstone" equivalents....if I paint a TOS titan such as Gorysche or King's Hand which are both at least three to four times bigger than any Malifaux model they are worth 7 Scrip in TOS....Margaret Bell a single figure commander is worth 25 Scrip whereas a squad of ECB Black Ops come in at 10 Scrip for nine figures...I want to sign up as henchman but there is no way I will finish nine figures in a month and even if I did on a straight Scrip for Soulstone exchange I'd still be one short ! - they may come pre assembled but they are in every way as intricate as Malifaux models...

...basically two to three models per month in Malifaux is a significant achievement and can make Henchman level in the Challenge because three figures can make a lot of difference within faction and their Soulstone value reflects it....every one of The Broken in TOS could easily pass as a character from Malifaux but the game is built around massed squads so two five figure bases come in at 5 Scrip in total....is there a way we could make it work on a per model basis ? Just asking 😉

Happy Holidays to everyone and look forward to seeing your models next year

• Like 1

Hi All!

@Burnin' Coal: I'm not a TOS player, so I'm not sure what values to place. As a question for you (and for all Other Side players out there!), what sort of system would be equitable and fair? I have no frame of reference, so should it be a points-per-base size? Points per unit type? I'm completely up for suggestions!

Caedrus.

• Like 1