The Wyrd Deck of Painting Achievements!

Caedrus

• 3 weeks later...

I just unlocked the 2 of Crows by doing a miniature in Games Workshop style! I accomplished this by selecting identical poses of a lone trooper miniature in a dated aesthetic and listed them for individual sale only on eBay for $55 Australian dollars each. With a minimum-to-be-even-slightly-effective squad size of 6, that's a paltry initial investment of only $330. Of course, a serious player would want to run several larger squads totalling up to 6 times that, including those they would need to butcher to try to convert to the special weapons (at another $25 each). Needless to say, there has been a rush of orders. At time of writing I am temporarily out of stock.

I'm working on unlocking the 1 of Crows by making a miniature look so pallid and sickly that it needs to be euthanized. The resultant full-page ego stroke for the magazine is currently at the typesetters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First figure of 2019 done, and with that a few achievements. Scarecrow from Reaper Miniatures. Bones material notwithstanding, quite a delightful mini.

pic4494265.jpg

:crow12 Homeopathy / Use a glazing technique on a miniature - It's my go-to technique, especially for shading. Used it on pretty much everything.

:tome6 Homage / Make a famous/celebrity/cult reference with your miniature - This guy's colour scheme took heavy inspiration from Moomin character "Snufkin", early childhood idol of mine. (see google image search)
:ram4 Munchausen's by Proxy / Use a non-Wyrd miniature as an unbelievably suitable proxy - Quite similar to the official Scarecrow figure from Knight Models, and my intended use for the mini. "RAW" it fits but I'm willing to concede this one since it's not for a Wyrd game:D
:mask1 Wham! / Use a fluorescent paint - These always seem to photo badly but his eyes are VMC Fluorescent Green. Makes for a nice, bright eye colour when I'm after something cartoonish.
:mask3 Saturation / Use inks on a miniature - Let's see... VGC Sepia Ink, VGC Green Ink, VGC Black Ink, VGC Flesh Wash Ink, VGC Yellow Ink, VGC Red Ink, S75 Inktense Chesnut, S75 Inktense Wood... For shadows, tinting and rust effects. I love inks to put it mildly.
:mask6 Mastery in a bottle / Use Vallejo Smoke on a miniature - Did some shadows with VMC Smoke. It's still not something I use regularly but every now and then I use it for some shadows. For this one used it for bones and coat.

So that's 6 (or 5) bagged. I can see this becoming an amusing checklist after whenever I finish a mini. Though I suspect I bagged most of the easy ones (for me) already.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Franchute said:

@Nikodemus What are the greens you used for the cloth on this mini?

Inner cloth is VGC Heavy Blackgreen. Highlighted by mixing in white in a few stages. Shaded with VGC Black and Green ink mix. His coat, which admittedly after all the washes and glazes is more of a brown, started with VGC Heavy Grey (misleading name, it's a desaturated green, lovely colour). I lost count what all I tossed over that though. Various brown washes, inks and similar.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Nikodemus: A Challenger appears!

It's time to back my words up! My (extra, other) painting project for the year will be to try to match Nikodemus as he powers through the Painting Achievement list!

I'll be defending the glory of Australia 🇦🇺 against Finland🇫🇮! The two painting superpower nations, head to head! 😉

Expect an update soon!

Caedrus

• Haha 2

Here I was just checking things off as they happened. But sure I can play this game:D

Unrelated to this thread, I should have first timer NMM by end of the month (the very same frustration that drove me to do a surprise speed paint). And thinking on next month's projects... Should be able bag at least four more achievements without doing anything wild. Maybe more;)

Welcome aboard! I didn't start with the intention of hunting any particular achievements, and so far haven't, but I must say I've been feeling the urge. At the very least I'm re-prioritising my painting plans for the near future. I can already feel some old school treachery coming up in February:D

:crow9 Buddhist / Use the non-metal-metal painting style

:tome12 Let’s get a little crazy / Paint some freehand, Trompe-l'œil, or patterning effects

pic4542729.jpgpic4548686.jpg

Did my first NMM on Paladin's sword. Did armour in TMM to save time (and my sanity) on the paintjob. Freehand on the Space Marine (lightning and hydra on shoulders, 'A' and omega symbol on knees). You can check my personal thread for other shoulder & kneepads. Here's a little secret: I detest painting space marines (and most anything with large flat areas and sharp edges). Way I make it bearable for myself is through lots and lots of freehand:PThis is my first metallic marine (third total) and I gotta say it's a lot nicer to do freehand over matte paint.

Current total per suit: 3:mask, 3:tome,2:crow,1:ram

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

^^ Think I'll have to try that one at some stage. Patriotism aside green, white and orange look pretty heinous together so it'd be a real challenge to make them work on a figure. 🙂

What about Som'er Teeth Jones in a white linen suit jacket and matching hat a la Fred Astaire? Orange flourishes for the shoulder brocade and the feathers in the hat. 😁

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, lusciousmccabe said:

^^ Think I'll have to try that one at some stage. Patriotism aside green, white and orange look pretty heinous together so it'd be a real challenge to make them work on a figure. 🙂

I think there's room to play around with it, if you're not locking yourself into a very specific hue. Green and white would make a nice ghost, or a skeleton. Throw some rust (=orange) on the inevitably tattered piece of gear it's carrying and voilà!

Probably not the most patriotic representation of one's colours:PBut that's what I thought of first for that particular colour combo.

• Like 2

:crow4 Sir Astro / Wet-blend a miniature

pic4565668.jpg

Wetblending is something I only occasionally try but (/therefore:P)I still lack practice and confidence with the technique. But this Batman's large, flowing cape really lent itself well for the technique. I did go in with glazes afterwards to push some shadows, highlights and smooth a few transitions but it really did a lot of work setting the initial values for surprisingly little effort.

Totals: 3:mask, 3:tome, 3:crow, 1:ram

That's 10 down!

• Like 2

pic4569683.jpg

7:ramTreachery! - Paint a miniature for a faction you don’t play

Filthy Guild:D

pic4573192.jpg

7:crowI have to go twosies - Use a size two brush (or larger!) for an entire miniature.

6:ramOld School - Paint a metal Wyrd miniature.

Metal Vik. Painted with W&N Series 7 #3 (awesome brush for eyes too, not that I did on this model) and Kolibri SQI24 #4 synthetic (comparable to #2 from W&N).

I do most of my painting with large brushes, especially detail work. But my primary metallics brush currently is a #1 and one of my "trash" brushes I use for the occasional basecoat or wash is also a #1 equivalent. Hence why it took so long to get this one.

Totals: 4:crow3:mask, 3:tome, 3:ram

Up to 13.

• Like 1

Hello there, here's my first post in this thread, I'll use the same guys I just posted in the monthly painting challenge.

BQBlngJ.jpg

And with them I'd say:
:crow1 - Black belt in blanchitsu.  Well, at least this was my intention with Goryo on the left... I'm not sure if I achieved it or not, if anyone can point me to what shouldn't be there or what should to make it more "blanchitsu" I'd appreciate it.
:crow8 - Victorian Painting:  is subtle... but there's some OSL rocks on the bases :D
:crow9 - Buddhist:  swords have been painted using NMM
:mask1 - Wham!: use a fluorescent paint: yep I actually used 3 (magenta, orange & blue) 
:mask6 - Mastery in a bottle: the skin is Vallejo Game Color bonewhite and washed with Agrax Earthshade (does it count as a painting recipe??? 😱Do i deserve this? :tome 9 )
:mask8 - Break the Seal: It's hard to tell, but for the right goryo spirits I used a mix with neon blue for the first time.

• Like 5

On 2/18/2019 at 9:49 PM, Diddick said:

BQBlngJ.jpg

:crow1 - Black belt in blanchitsu.  Well, at least this was my intention with Goryo on the left... I'm not sure if I achieved it or not, if anyone can point me to what shouldn't be there or what should to make it more "blanchitsu" I'd appreciate it.

I wouldn't mind getting some discussion/help on the subject as well. I've been looking into it lately and I'm still a bit lost about what makes blanchitsu... blanchitsu. I've got a few figures set aside for when I feel knowledgeable enough to attempt it.

As for your Goryo, I didn't get the Blanche vibe when I saw it without the accompanying text. I recognise the colour palette as something that gets thrown around a lot when people talk about the style. Maybe it's how you applied the paint? Seems Blanche style painting is often "dirty" and weathered. Yours is pretty clean looking. It is a lovely looking mini.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

pic4603851.jpgpic4603853.jpg

8:maskBreak the Seal / Use a paint colour that you’ve never used before.

Bought VMC Dark Sea Blue on a whim. Used it to highlight her black hair, gloves and boots. It's a really nice, turquoise-y near black. Really happy with it based on this first impression.

Figure herself is Catwoman from Knight Models.

Totals: 4:crow4:mask, 3:tome, 3:ram

@Caedrus any update on your end? I'm counting 14 to 0 at the moment;)

• Like 1

I'm going to claim 4 :ToS-Crow: and 12 :ToS-Crow: for my Bandersnatch. Watched a fair bit of Sorastro's painting channel recently and he really shows how to get a good gradient of colour and value across a large area in no time. Only really needed the glazes for parts on the legs and very happy with the result. 

trlmPPs.jpg

Also taking 9 :ToS-Crow: for the occasionally successful NMM on these guys and the 1 :ToS-Ram: for the fact that I bothered with it on all 4 of them. Bought the metal one second hand years ago from someone who quite possibly got it on eBay themselves so it gets me the 6 and 12 of :ToS-Ram: as well.

c1Ak8ve.jpg 0MFj1VB.jpg

Think I'm now getting into the territory of actually having to look some stuff up before claiming any more of these. Looking forward to it!

• Like 2