Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

Lenny is El Presidente, Forever and Always. It was a democratic victory, fair and square. Saddened at the fact the Grem-... I mean Bayous... didn't gain anybody new. Oh well, not like I didn't have too many models in the first place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mason said:

Without going into too much detail just yet, hiring within a Master's keyword will be affordable and will provide options that reinforce that Master's central theme. If you want to go outside a Master's keyword, you'll be able to do so within your faction, albeit at a minor penalty.

All in all, we're reinforcing thematic crews while still allowing people to explore other options within their faction.

Thanks! Do you see enough flexibility there to ensure significant variation within people who play a certain master, or will most masters be more or less restricted to a single playstyle with a fixed complement of units?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blastaar said:

Uh-oh.... I have to be honest, I picked up several red flags in the announcement. Please don't streamline or simplify the game too much, the depth is what makes it fun.

They used the same language on the hop from 1st to 2nd edition.  For example, 1st edition Rotten belles had 5 abilities, 2 actual attacks, 3 spells and a generic trigger I've thankfully managed to forget.   2nd ed belles came down to 3 abilities and 3 attacks/spells.  They were still tactically interesting pieces.  I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Kai said:

A full release. That's right, every model from Second Edition will be updated to Third Edition at launch. All your models will have stat cards available at release.

This seems like a nightmare to properly balance? Like a completely impossible nightmare. I mean, how many profiles do we have currently? 500 or so? And then all the new profiles?

Also, will the obsolete crews be ever revisited? So if, say, Collodi is messed up balance-wise, will she be in such a state forever?

I do very much like the sound of simplifying things a bit. Making themes more central is probably good for balance but kinda dangerous in that some Masters might end up with very tight crews with minimal variation. OTOH that's probably already the case so maybe that's not any worse than it is now.

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic but the balancing seems utterly impossible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Figgyfigs said:

Thanks! Do you see enough flexibility there to ensure significant variation within people who play a certain master, or will most masters be more or less restricted to a single playstyle with a fixed complement of units?

I think that we'll have a good complement of units and playstyles available for people who want to experiment, while also making it easier for new players to figure out what sort of models will work best with the Master they just picked up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mason said:

I think that we'll have a good complement of units and playstyles available for people who want to experiment, while also making it easier for new players to figure out what sort of models will work best with the Master they just picked up.

Sounds like a good balance. As a new player, I can definitely sympathize with the latter problem, while I also love how 2E's upgrade system allows for multiple approaches with any given master. It also keeps you on your toes during games, as you can't bet that any two people will play the same master the same way.

• Like 1

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I understand that the story must go on, and it's better than staying completely stagnant like some other war games do.

However, Wyrd, you have to understand how completely frustrating it is for players to remove masters from the game, or from their faction. Lilith for example was always my go to NB master; yeah, there's the "dead man's hand", but still.

it's also frustrating removing characters from faction. I, as a NB player, may as well just, what, throw my lynch crew in the trash? I don't play 10T, so what good is he to me now?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Uh-oh.... I have to be honest, I picked up several red flags in the announcement. Please don't streamline or simplify the game too much, the depth is what makes it fun.

This reminds me of the argument over premeasuring. People argued that guessing distances was a skill and allowing premeasuring reduced the skill needed to win. This was technically true, it's just that the skill of guessing arbitrary distance was not a fun one to use and, when it was removed, people could focus more on the tactical side of the game. Currently there are a zillion different conditions and memorizing them is a skill that will help you win. But what's more fun, memorizing a ton of abilities or tactically positioning your models? Streamlining isn't just about reaching more players; it reaches more players because it legitimately makes the game better.

Also eleven conditions plus all the different actions and abilities sounds like a ton to work with in terms of flavor. I'm super excited to see this!

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

Love to hear that the storyline is progressing.  Hopefully that 3rd ed will bring me back in.  With streamlining and reducing rules bloat, are upgrade cards going away?  They were by far my most hated part of 2nd ed.  Also wish the avatar models from 1st ed would get rules as alternate versions of the masters, same way the "dead" masters will still be getting rules.

A lot I'm excited about from this, not the least of which is being able to play Zipp without having to play Gremlins.  

Keyword hiring has been sorely needed for most of 2nd edition.  I'd say probably since Crossroads.  There's just not enough design space for the number of models without breaking them up into their thematic subgroups, and generally speaking hiring was a hodgepodge of faction all stars that made it really gamey feeling.

I am curious to see how they'll work with limited conditions.  I agree they got completely out of hand, but they still served an important state tracking purpose.  I have total faith that the void will be filled; just curious how it will be organized.

Overall, I think they've got the vision for the best version of the game yet and have learned all the right lessons from the past.  Really looking forward to what's ahead.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Malovane said:

Love to hear that the storyline is progressing.  Hopefully that 3rd ed will bring me back in.  With streamlining and reducing rules bloat, are upgrade cards going away?  They were by far my most hated part of 2nd ed.  Also wish the avatar models from 1st ed would get rules as alternate versions of the masters, same way the "dead" masters will still be getting rules.

M3E still has Upgrades, though we're dialing them back somewhat from where M2E is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

I'm also curious if you'll update the Nightmare boxes and alt characters! I love Dr. Dufresne and Catelin Abernathy, and I'd hate for them not to get the new pretty card treatment! Otherwise this edition looks mostly great from what we've seen! (Can't say i'm too excited about Dead Man's Chest, but I'm sure my LGS will just make Dead Man's Chest legal anyways so I guess from a lore perspective it's nice!)

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mbowsher76 said:

Do we have a rough ETA for the release? It seems like there is a lot already done and the game will be demoed at Gencon so is this pretty close release?

We're not announcing a public date at this time, as we want to ensure that we have the option of extending playtest if  needed. Our first priority is to ensure that M3E is fun and balanced, and some wiggle room will help us in that regard. So apologies that I can't give you a fixed date at this time!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

*finally scrolls down some*

*earsplitting squee not muffled by the usual leaving the room and shutting the door first (sorry, I only expected Raspy)*

...One tiny major thing. If it isn’t too late to rename the arsenal decks, please do. Having the same name of item for two different edition changes will cause nothing but trouble. It was hard enough to teach every new and returning player and/or FLGS order-taker the difference between arsenal deck one and arsenal deck two. If it must stay the same name, start the numbering at deck three. Please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I came over to Malifaux after Privateer Press shifted to MK 3. I have never been disappointed by Wyrd so far, and I have faith that they can make this work. I am, despite "losing" Lilith and Collodi, very excited! I choose to look at the opportunities (Nekima as master!? Shenlong might actually be a good fighter?!) instead. Kudos to wyrd. 

• Like 3