Waldo's Weekly - I Shoot, You Run

Kyle

WaldosWeekly_0220_Hans_Art.jpg

Hey Wyrdos,

This week, we found Waldo on the roof sleeping like a baby. A snoring, farting, giggling devil baby, but a baby all the same. He was surrounded in shredded M2E books that were being used as bedding and Teddy plush prototypes that were just a little too creepy to go into production (yep, even for us). He must have been dreaming about robbing someone at gunpoint, because he was pointing finger guns and murmuring “pew pew” in between snorts and chortles.

Rather than wake him up, we decided to enjoy the peace and quiet by revealing another new look for an old favorite.

Sting. Beck. Cher. Bono. Banksy. There are only a handful of people in the world who are recognized enough without needing a last name. Hans, the best sniper to the highest bidder, is one such person. If you want the job done, and the job done right, you just need to say his name. And provide a hefty amount of scrip beforehand, of course.

WaldosWeekly_0220_Hans_Card-Front.jpg

Regardless of the Outcast Crew that you’re building, it’s almost always worth considering putting aside the right amount of coin (or Soulstones) for our favorite hired gun. With his Advanced Sights and Sniper Abilities, his accuracy and range are considered the best in the business (as long as he’s willing to Focus enough before the shot).

Because of his knack of blending in with his surroundings with the Disguised Ability, he’s going to be tough for melee beaters to Charge in and wreak havoc. It doesn’t matter if he’s hired to take out a human, Neverborn, or spectral apparition, either, as his Ruthless Ability helps to ensure that he’s always on target.

WaldosWeekly_0220_Hans_Card-Back.jpg

If you’re on the opposing end of Hans’ rifle, you’ll likely be lights out before you even know where the shot came from. While his Clockwork Rifle is used by some other gunmen in Malifaux, only Hans is able to utilize it to the fullest extent. With four Triggers that allow him to handle just about any situation, Hans is able to end a life quickly or Slow them down before a quick escape.

If Hans is in a tight spot and the situation calls for a more tactful approach, he can let out a Warning Shot to give his target Distracted and possibly Stunned, which can essentially shut down an enemy’s effectiveness as he gets resituated for the next assault.

Even the most experienced assassins sometimes have to reference their own ethics and rules manuals, though, which is why his Bonus Action, Reference the Field Guide, gives him the opportunity to add any suit to his final duel totals for the rest of his Activation, allowing him to gain the upper hand each time he lines up a shot.

Check out the new model for Hans in M3E!

WaldosWeekly_0220_Hans_Render.jpg

Next week, we’ll be signing a contract for some protection in the Little Kingdom.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Goodtest said:

Hans becomes really shining in M3E.

But I don't like Warning Shot and Reference The Field Guide.

Hans's Clockwork Rifle is almost a better choice in every shot.

I prefer to see Reference The Field Guide in Abilities than in Acttions.

Reference is a :ToS-Fast:, it's not competing with either shots

2 hours ago, ShinChan said:

Is it only me, or the renders (and probably scultps) of the all new models are super-static? In M2E there were plenty of dynamism in many models. Are Malifaux miniatures going to be like this now? 😢

I know what you mean, but Hans always was super static....

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

I know what you mean, but Hans always was super static....

More reasons to make a different sculpt this time 😜

I've been concern since the coming out of ToS. I was hoping that Malifaux kept its own sculpt quality, but looks like it's getting worse.

The problem isn't this Hans, the problem is that all the miniatures they've shown (as far as I remember) are a bit simpler and much more static. 

• Agree 2

The M2E artwork had the merit of being inspired of Trigun :D

There was a cool feeling about the guy playing with a bullet between his fingers.

This artwork is really ugly imho and the render looks like a botched Wild west exodus mini...

Hans looks seriously constipated and his gun is completely out of proportion.

What the f*** is happening?

• Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

I can definitely see a place for the warning shot, Stunned is still really good against certain masters and keywords that rely on triggers. Warning shot is definitely a setup tool for the rest of your crew to capitalize on. Good also if the target has heavy armor or something that you want the whole crew to work on.

I always liked the old Hans, but the new one is just as good (Although like the art much, much more than the render. Especially the facial expression)

There's just one thing. Between this guy and Agent 46, is there a reason the legs are so long compared to the chest and arms? Aren't those the proportions artists use when trying to emphasize the "sexy" aspect of female figures?

• Agree 1

The art direction for M3E is just plain bad. This might seem like a strong reaction and I totally understand that it's someones hard work but it isn't right. If the thing it's replacing is better I have to question the necessity for new models at this stage (other than to make a quick buck)

I said it at the time of announcement for M3E 'don't fix what isn't broken' the rules need a revamp, certain models need replacing but don't deviate from the tone of the original artwork for something worse. You're just harming the range.

I made a decision to hunt down M2E kits that I feel are 'under threat' of replacement with something mediocre. The Dreamer crew (especially that absolutely atrocious Lord Chompy Bits) was one of my first purchases. I've picked up the DMH's kits because well why chuck out something that again people love and enjoy for the sake of fluff?

Away from the artwork taking away the flexibility from crew hiring (whilst I understand this prevents all star crews to a point) it also stifles players. Sure your average power gamer nerd at a tourney might whip out these obnoxious crews time and time again but there could be other avenues to explore to stop that. The majority of Malifaux games being played I would imagine are between friends or at the very least between two people just looking for a fun game to play.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

But keyword hiring is the best that could happen to friendly games and non-tournament players. You can actually buy a box an usw every model.

no more "yeah the totem the Master comes with is garbage. better get the orher one. oh and you don't need the minions from the box. instead buy two additional boxes of other stuff to fully enjoy this Master. also that Henchman from the other masters crewbox is clutch for this Master! buy the other  box as well!"

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RedHood said:

I made a decision to hunt down M2E kits that I feel are 'under threat' of replacement with something mediocre.

I made the same decision a few weeks ago. I think Wyrd is no longer capable of drawing and designing innovative minis. I don't know who they lost that was at the origin of their previous designs but this is likely going to be a very damaging loss.

Previously when people not in the game came near a Malifaux table, there was always a sense of awe when they looked at the mini. With M3E stuff, we will be lucky if we get a dismissive shrug. I don't see how you can attrack as many hobbyists as before with this kind of render.

Perhaps this is just a trick from Wyrd. They have old stocks from M2E they want to sell and they release ugly artworks and renders to push us to buy old sets out of fear. Then, once the stocks are sold, they will release the true products :D.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

There are hundreds of Malifaux models. So many of which have static poses, seriously. Check out your own collection fellas. 

IMO, I feel like the bitterly negative reaction is a bit ridiculous. The sky is not falling, there are no tricks, and its a bit unfair to insinuate a lack of ability here. Opinions are simply that though, we all have one, I'll just voice in opposition. 

The model is a different version of the previous. Holding his rifle over his shoulder in a relaxed, hit man waiting to be hired, kind of way. I dont mind one bit.

*also it looks like he's been working and able to afford some steak dinners lately... good for him. 

Love the card layout. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

23 hours ago, yool1981 said:

I made the same decision a few weeks ago. I think Wyrd is no longer capable of drawing and designing innovative minis. I don't know who they lost that was at the origin of their previous designs but this is likely going to be a very damaging loss.

Previously when people not in the game came near a Malifaux table, there was always a sense of awe when they looked at the mini. With M3E stuff, we will be lucky if we get a dismissive shrug. I don't see how you can attrack as many hobbyists as before with this kind of render.

Perhaps this is just a trick from Wyrd. They have old stocks from M2E they want to sell and they release ugly artworks and renders to push us to buy old sets out of fear. Then, once the stocks are sold, they will release the true products :D.

I actually don't mind this particular render. But overall I'm looking at the changes to Malifaux and I'm getting less excited week by week. 

Art is subjective but when I look at the artwork for M3E I can pretty much tell I won't like the artist/artists vision and execution going forward based on the bulk of what I've seen. It's lost that element of nightmarish charm that made me take notice of Malifaux. Now these miniatures could be from a number of different game systems. It's all very generic looking. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Fixxer said:

There are hundreds of Malifaux models. So many of which have static poses, seriously. Check out your own collection fellas. 

IMO, I feel like the bitterly negative reaction is a bit ridiculous. The sky is not falling, there are no tricks, and its a bit unfair to insinuate a lack of ability here. Opinions are simply that though, we all have one, I'll just voice in opposition. 

The model is a different version of the previous. Holding his rifle over his shoulder in a relaxed, hit man waiting to be hired, kind of way. I dont mind one bit.

*also it looks like he's been working and able to afford some steak dinners lately... good for him. 

Love the card layout. 

The issue for us (the concerned people) is not about Hans, is about ALL the renders they showed so far are super static. And yes, many M2E had really static posses, but you can see an evolution, specially in many models of the last years, you just need to check the last master's release in Ripples of Fate and compare them to the masters coming from the M1.5E.

• Agree 1

The artistic direction as a whole for the last couple of years lacks ambition. I remember the first batch of plastics on M2 with very dynamic postures. Misaki and Mei Feng are as old as it gets, but they are a lot more impressive conceptwise then the newer stuff.

From first edition to early second a lot of things lost charm but there was a lot of play with postures, so it perfectly made up for it in my eyes. But part of wave 4 onward has been incredibly meh (Asami looks like crap and Titania was a huge dissapointment as well as Reva) and some of the resculpts like both Nekima's compared to the first one just seem like constant steps down, though others are huge winners like alt Reva.

What I don't know if it's a sort of editorial mandate to keep designs less dynamic (imagine it makes ordering plastic kits easier) or just the artistic expresion of the current artist (which I mostly have no investment on).

As for The Other Side stuff, that I'm more keen on design wise and don't mind static models on an army scale game.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, retnab said:

From what I heard the old Malifaux artist is now the TOS artist so if you're keen on TOS that might be why

I was hoping this was the case. I keep bragging about the ToS models to my friends by telling them that they give out the same vibes I got when I started ressers at the beginning of M2e.

So, for ToS

We get the Malifaux artist

A slick and fast system

Amazing design by Aaron and, from now on, @matt and @Kyle?

Future's looking bright!

Back to Hans. Of all the reveals, this one has the most character face wise (just beautiful). But am I really the only one seeing super-model legs on him and 46?

The face also does not translate too well from art to render, but that's probably a limitation imposed by size and technology.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

Back to Hans. Of all the reveals, this one has the most character face wise (just beautiful). But am I really the only one seeing super-model legs on him and 46?

Nope you are not alone I have been complaining about that for months. If you look at all the human sized arts from this artist  they all have the same style/flaw (I vote flaw personally...).

The difference between the render and the art is not a technological limitation, otherwise there would have been the issue in M2E pre wave 5.

Wave 5 started to show render / art discrepancies (Maddox....). My guess is either a change of sculptor or a lesser cooperation between the artist and the sculptor.