Shifting Loyalties are nigh

Phinn

With the new models from Shifting Loyalties coming out soon(ish), I wonder what are the ones your are looking forward to the most.
Have you already tried them or have you been simply captivated by their art/render? Do you feel that they fill a gap in your favorite master's themed (or not) crew? Do you have a favorite trick or a combination of models?

My favorite model from Shifting Loyalties is Mysterious Emissary, even though I haven't played him yet. Mainly for his ability to place Severe, Hazardous Terrain Markers that also force models that end within 3" of them to make a TN 14 Wk Duel or suffer damage as if entering it. Not mentioning his beautiful art and render.

Hnnngggg.  That model makes me want Neverborn so hard.  That is easily one of the coolest models, I severely hope those little things on his base have some meaning beyond "decoration" at some point.  I guess they could be the "terrain" he is putting out, maybe the kit will come with a spare set of them to make a single marker :)

But I mean, heck yea Shifting is cool.  Jorogumo!  I play Misaki way too much (And Last Blossoms in general) to not want teleporting spider-creeps.  Probably not too stoked for their models (Probably going to be fidgety like the Aracnids for Arcanist, prone to breaking maybe), buuutttttt still a cool guy.  Played him a bit in a small Campaign that didn't last long, but he was a fun dude.  The other 10T stuff isn't over the top thrilling, I kind of forget what else there is at the moment.  There's the Emissary, which is quite good though I haven't played him, and what.. Tengu weren't Shifting where they?  I totally forget the other things :P

21 minutes ago, Tawg said:

Hnnngggg.  That model makes me want Neverborn so hard.  That is easily one of the coolest models, I severely hope those little things on his base have some meaning beyond "decoration" at some point.  I guess they could be the "terrain" he is putting out, maybe the kit will come with a spare set of them to make a single marker :)

Now that we've got Neverborn Fae, they do have a kind of Faerie look to them.

Ice Dancers. One of the models in W3 that adds a lot to it's pure thematic crew (Frozen Hearts). Not super psyched about the models though, it's the tired old big boobs and hardly any clothes thing. Sure they have ice powers, but if Rasputina herself needs to wear a winter coat, why doesn't her weaker minions?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bengt said:

Ice Dancers. One of the models in W3 that adds a lot to it's pure thematic crew (Frozen Hearts). Not super psyched about the models though, it's the tired old big boobs and hardly any clothes thing. Sure they have ice powers, but if Rasputina herself needs to wear a winter coat, why doesn't her weaker minions?

They're figure skaters. The number one rule of figure skating costumes is "don't ask about practicality unless it's going to snag on the blades". All the same, I don't see even the most thematic costumes putting the extra weight of coats on someone who's got to do high jumps. Thick stockings, yes; coats, no.

Every so often I see a comment about sanctioned spellcasters being a new and useful tool in the Guild's toolbox, but yikes. The art for the one became the box of three, and something was lost in translation.

3 minutes ago, Bengt said:

They're not. They are women who travel on ice slides like Iceman in X-Men.

I still see the one balanced on one foot as a figure skater, though. Maybe they use both styles. The one with both feet on the ice does work better as a snowboard girl and then she could wear heavy coats with ease.

Rules that are enough that I've actively converted for, have, or plan to get them:

Changelings, , Big Jake, Forgotten Marshal

Interesting enough that I'll maybe get/convert them down the line:

Dancers (and yeah, iceman or whoever, though skaters were obvious theme), crossroads, some starter models

Things I already have something to represent (conversion/avatar), so might as well play it, but have no great love for them

Emissaries (some are better than others), scion

Excited for the Brutal and Hodgepodge.  Big Jake, Mounted Guardsman (though no release date yet), and Ice Dancer are very high on my list.  Looking forward to trying Joromungo, Sanctioned, Arcane, and Wind Gamin.  Technically excited about Changelings, but I suspect Lucius will dull that fire quickly.

The real excitement though is simply recognizing that there's probably not going to be anything from Wave 3 left to release for Black Friday....

I have been using Sparks with some great effectiveness in Mei Feng crews I run.  Watching Lucus McCabe experiencing "Hostile Work Environment" for the first time is a beautiful thing.

McCabe player: So, for first action, Lucus is going to toss...

Me: No he's not.

Then there is winding up the Rail Golem giving him an extra AP.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2016 at 1:39 PM, Bengt said:

They're not. They are women who travel on ice slides like Iceman in X-Men.

If they're Frozen Heart (I assume they have that rule, yea?), or generally cold aligned, what makes you feel they want to be warm?

Wouldn't it make more sense to be the closest to their chosen source of power, rather than futilely fighting against it?

At this point I have proxies for, and have tried all the Wave 3 10-T models. :)

Shadow Emissary has proven to be a great replacement for Sensei Yu when I've wanted more hitting power over Yu's scheme running and healing with Low River Style (I still don't understand why anyone brings him with Wandering River outside of Shenlong). I'm not taking him in every game I play, but I rarely regret using him when I do.

Lust offers some crazy-great mobility and discard, making her a regular inclusion with Misaki. It doesn't hurt that she can punch pretty hard with a focus attack too!

Wandering River Monk is a Silurid, but with push effects. So basically he's awesome. :) Scheme running is his job and he's excelled at it every game I've taken him. 

Obsidian Oni hasn't seen too much table time, but he's come across as decent when I've taken one. I suspect the Illuminated is strictly better for the +1SS, but he's got some good synergies with Mei Feng that make him worth taking.  That, and I really want to pair him with an Earth Samurai for some easy healing with his discard effect.

Jorogumo is just a high cost minion who punches things hard! Unlike alot of 10-T models he doesn't do much else than that, but at least he does it well. I've yet to try him in a Last Blossom crew with Misaki though, which in itself would probably help his reduced mobility a fair bit! 

Bunraku I've played once, and I wasn't all that impressed with him. He's got a very specific combo with himself and it feel like alot of things need to go right for it to work. To be fair though, I didn't use him with Mei Feng or Collodi, both of whom should synergise better with him. 

Speaking of which, my latest blog post has pictures of all my Ten Thunders proxys up to and including Wave 3, if you're interested. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tawg said:

If they're Frozen Heart (I assume they have that rule, yea?), or generally cold aligned, what makes you feel they want to be warm?

Wouldn't it make more sense to be the closest to their chosen source of power, rather than futilely fighting against it?

It mostly comes down to that I find the lets-have-the-women-have-their-boobs-hanging-out thing that is so common in popular culture tiresome. As such I really like the design of Rasputina and the Acolytes. Silent ones wear a bit less clothes, I would have liked some more, but it's not too bad. Snow (i.e. the woman that makes up half of Snow Storm), who fell of a cliff and died but got animated/resurrected (it's never explained how "alive" she is now, but I think it's notable that Snow Storm have none of the living/undead/construct characteristics) by a surge of December-power, is wearing heavier clothes than perhaps anyone in Malifaux.

So they had a good thing going in my opinion, and now we get underwear and enormous boobs. And sure it's easy to spin some magical explanation for their lack clothes, but it will, alas, feel empty to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bengt said:

It mostly comes down to that I find the lets-have-the-women-have-their-boobs-hanging-out thing that is so common in popular culture tiresome. As such I really like the design of Rasputina and the Acolytes. Silent ones wear a bit less clothes, I would have liked some more, but it's not too bad. Snow (i.e. the woman that makes up half of Snow Storm), who fell of a cliff and died but got animated/resurrected (it's never explained how "alive" she is now, but I think it's notable that Snow Storm have none of the living/undead/construct characteristics) by a surge of December-power, is wearing heavier clothes than perhaps anyone in Malifaux.

So they had a good thing going in my opinion, and now we get underwear and enormous boobs. And sure it's easy to spin some magical explanation for their lack clothes, but it will, alas, feel empty to me.

They're showgirls. They're performers, very akin to ice skaters/dancers. They're wearing a showgirl costume.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, valhallan42nd said:

They're showgirls. They're performers, very akin to ice skaters/dancers. They're wearing a showgirl costume.

Paraphrasing the unit entry in SL: They're part of December's cult, some of them do dances in December's honour. A single Ice Dancer ever has performed at the Star theatre.

So giving all of them showgirl costumes makes no sense what so ever to me. I'm quite convinced that real reason is booooooooooobs!

1 minute ago, Bengt said:

Paraphrasing the unit entry in SL: They're part of December's cult, some of them do dances in December's honour. A single Ice Dancer ever has performed at the Star theatre.

So giving all of them showgirl costumes makes no sense what so ever to me. I'm quite convinced that real reason is booooooooooobs!

Then I look forward to your conversions.

16 hours ago, valhallan42nd said:

Then I look forward to your conversions.

While I disagree with some of the ideas, the models seems (from the renders) to be competently sculpted. Also, initial impression is that they would need a lot more work than Kaeris to fix. So we'll see, laziness may win out... :P

• Like 1