May 2 - Malifaux Vintage

For me, personally, the new announcement doesn't do anything to promote the hobby because it crosses a personal moral boundary.

As presented, these figures appear to cross the line for me from playing a friendly game of chance with associated hobby elements to gambling, both in how they're acquired and how they're likely to be traded.  As gambling, I cannot participate, either directly or indirectly by purchasing the figures from others, because that converts the matter into a game of chance for profit.

I don't begrudge Wyrd for doing this, because companies make plenty of money selling collectable card games and various random assortment items.

• Like 2

Ok so as this thread has become a complete gong show i have to weigh in here. Personally  I love all the cool promo stuff wyrd has done so far : The  mystery  boxes, guilders, Nythera,  iron painter,  alternate sculpts, vintage  pieces - especially  awesome  for those of us who jumped onto the bandwagon  post me 1.5., the chronicles,  the monthly  contests...etc. In my opinion  wyrd can't  go wrong no matter if they make the figures  exclusively  gaming  extras or not. They do a fantastic job of supporting the hobby and gaming community and promoting  the products. That said, despite  being a hard core fan- I run a ttb campaign, play puppet wars and Malifaux, read all the chronicles, and went out of my way to hunt down the old stories from the older books, I am also  a more casual gamer and don't  get out to play much  as my city  currently  has a very small malifaux  community and lacks a henchman. Thus I hope that wyrd will one day open up a line of their exclusives for general  purchase. E.g. nightmare justice crew redone in plastic? Or a certain female death marshall that I missed the boat on that never  seems to be in Stock even on the black Friday  sales? Here's  to pipe  dreams! May the  fates be kind as "some dreams do come true". :+fate *breaks out into song*

• Like 3

I do have to inquire...

Alt Rasputina made it. So did Alt Somer.

Why did original Sonnia get chosen over Alt Sonnia or Alt LJ? Why original McMourning instead of Alt Nico or Alt Seamus? Those were the superior sculpts.

Those would be models worth going to an event for, in my opinion. 

Opinion.

• Like 1

Hey, I am curious -- and if this is secret sauce you can't share I understand, but I am curious.

What's the process for turning a metal model into a plastic model? Do you somehow scan it? Recast it? Does a sculptor start from scratch and just use the model for inspiration?

These all look amazing and the detail looks fantastic! I'm very curious about how it works!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Simple, i chose what I liked.

The Boss hath spoken. :)

I have to say I'd love to get some of these Vintage models, Misaki and Hamelin in particular. I'd say Pandora too but I already have the old metal version of that Sculpt and I'm quite happy with it.

Of course realistically my chances of getting either of the ones I want arebn't high (not enough tournaments around here, plus travelling interstate is VERY expensive from Perth!) and if I had the choice, I'd love it if they made these available for sale at some point. If not though, I won't be especially fussed.  As pretty as they are, they don't offer any in-game advantage and it's not like I don't already have sculpts for them that I like!

• Like 1

I like the exclusive nature of these models, I personally find it exciting when my opponent puts down a rare model on the table. It adds variety, if everyone had them it would be boring. I think it's a great idea to reward people who help to sustain the gaming part of the community, it takes effort and sacrifices to go to events/tournaments so I think unique models are fantastic prize.

If I can offer a suggestion - I think it would be exciting to see another group of unique models offered as prizes for some of Wyrd's competitions, as a way to give exclusive rewards in other aspects of the hobby. 

Keep up the good work Wyrd, the community support you guys offer never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 3

Don't really feel one way or another having them be prizes myself, likely because I have the metal ones of the ones that are important to me.  That said, I had to really laugh at Hamelin.  Back when the whole big changing of guards from metal to plastic a lot of places had sales on their metal stocks as time passes to clear them out.  I ended up breaking down and picking up the Hamelin Avatar during one of them as I liked the model itself to much *not a fan of the base*.  I figured if I ever decided to play Hamelin in the future that would be the model I want to use.

So I got a real chuckle at him being on the line up, apparently Nathan really shared my taste for that model.

• Like 1

Completely agree with the people saying they should be only in Event "Mystery Boxes", there are no events in Japan guys, how am I supposed to get one...

Very, very sad panda right now... (especially as I'd buy 4-5 of them...)

• Like 1

I suggest a compromise:

Event boxes for now. A year after they are replaced, put them in Black Friday/Easter sales.

I say give it a year after they are replaced to give the winners an opportunity to sell them if they wish.

That said, I'll probably keep an eye out on E-Bay.

• Like 1

These look really good, but owning most of them in metal the only one I really want is Mcmourning, because 5 sculpts of your favourite master is nowhere near enough right?

1 hour ago, Trample said:

Love it! 

Pandora is the best here I think. Interesting that Misaki is the only dual faction master, so Outcasts get two!

Guild get 2 as well. ;)

It's sad that some people don't have events in their area. There is, however, a very simple remedy to that: Become a henchman and start organizing events. (You get gilders for doing that as well.) You can make your own events just as competitive or casual as you like. You don't have to run tournaments ever. You can just run leagues and campaigns if that's what you and your community want.

As great as it is for everyone participating in the events to have a chance of getting these cool models, their existence is even greater a blessing for henchmen who try to build their communities and organize fun events for everyone to enjoy. Having a chance to distribute gilders that can be traded for cool stuff to all participants, is yet another way of making events bit more attractive, and hopefully it will help local Malifaux communities grow and prosper.

As a henchman I would like to thank Wyrd for this, and to all of you who feel like offering limited edition models as event rewards feels unfair, try to see that it is a great way of supporting henchmen, and maybe it doesn't seem all that injust.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, solkan said:

For me, personally, the new announcement doesn't do anything to promote the hobby because it crosses a personal moral boundary.

As presented, these figures appear to cross the line for me from playing a friendly game of chance with associated hobby elements to gambling, both in how they're acquired and how they're likely to be traded.  As gambling, I cannot participate, either directly or indirectly by purchasing the figures from others, because that converts the matter into a game of chance for profit.

I don't begrudge Wyrd for doing this, because companies make plenty of money selling collectable card games and various random assortment items.

Wait, you're not ok with gambling, but you're ok with playing Malifaux?  Isn't playing Malifaux like gambling with your time and frustration (Darn BJ)?

That is still interesting to me, does that mean you won't play in tournaments at all?  Or that you play but deny any prizes?

5 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Simple, i chose what I liked.

You... like old McMourning?  :mellow: uhhguughhguu  He's such a chowder head.

You don't need a game store to be a henchman. You just need a public place where you can organize events. I'm running my events at a local youth activity center. Other possible avenues could include public libraries or spaces owned by church or some other religious organization.

• Like 3

I can't speak for others, but I imagine there are people in similar boats as myself & I can see where you're coming from @Myyräbut;

A). Wyrd products are not sold in Japan (at least not in Kyoto anyways)
B). There is no Japanese rules, so it is very difficult to form a player base
C). I don't speak Japanese, so I can't really introduce the game to other players & basically play on Vassel.

You might ask why do I want the miniatures then, well, I'm a collector first & foremost (much to my wife's disgust!) & simply want them in said collection.

I like the idea of making them Mystery boxes for now, and opening them up at either the Gencon or Black Friday Sales. I really wish Wyrd would do this and let us know so the scalpers don't fleece us poor sods whom can't attend events or become Henchman...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Da O&F Git said:

I can't speak for others, but I imagine there are people in similar boats as myself & I can see where you're coming from @Myyräbut;

A). Wyrd products are not sold in Japan (at least not in Kyoto anyways)
B). There is no Japanese rules, so it is very difficult to form a player base
C). I don't speak Japanese, so I can't really introduce the game to other players & basically play on Vassel.

You might ask why do I want the miniatures then, well, I'm a collector first & foremost (much to my wife's disgust!) & simply want them in said collection.

I like the idea of making them Mystery boxes for now, and opening them up at either the Gencon or Black Friday Sales. I really wish Wyrd would do this and let us know so the scalpers don't fleece us poor sods whom can't attend events or become Henchman...

I know for a fact there is at least one Japanese store that sell Malifaux. Also, Finland is a country that has about the same land area as Japan, and I believe we have one store that carries Malifaux on shelves.

I'm also fairly sure we will be getting a Japanese translation of Malifaux rules before we get a Finnish translation.

Not knowing the local language is an acceptable reason to not become a henchman though. I'm genuinely sorry you have it so difficult.

• Like 1

Unless I pay outrages amounts of money on Ebay, I'll likely never get any of these models, but I appreciate the fact that Wyrd is very actively doing things to promote community building and event participation. Talk is cheap, producing limited edition models isnt.

I understand that a lot of people will never be able to get a hold of these models, for completely valid reasons, but I think exclusion is too big a word to be used here. There are people too poor to spend any cash on luxury hobbies like Malifaux and I wouldnt accuse Wyrd of excluding them from the game because of the price tag on Malifauc models.

• Like 3

Wow, it's kinda funny comparing people's reaction to these news on FB, Wyrd Place and this Forum. I really like these, especially Hamelin. I'd buy into his crew if I could get my hands on him. But then again, I' don't really care.

I only started Malifaux half a year ago and from what I've seen, Wyrd is an awesome company when it comes to listening to their customers. I'm not worried in the least that one day we might see "Vintage Master Series Boxes" or something of the likes. And if we don't, well, Life goes on.

• Like 1

Wyrd have always had a lot of limited edition and hard to get miniatures compared to other companies. 

Whether it's the stickered boxes with bonus models in, or the models only available for the Black Friday/Easter/Gencon sales or the mystery boxes.

I don't understand how, if you're happy with how they distributed say, Johanna, you can be particularly depressed at how they are distributing the vintage range. For a lot of people it's going to boil down to the same thing, spending over the odds on Ebay. Some people can't get to tournaments, some people can't justify buying a box they don't need to get a limited edition miniature inside, some people don't have $1/2/300  to drop during a sale, ebay is the great leveler.

I don't like it when goods have false scarcity, because it brings out the worst in some people, who will find ways to get mystery boxes, and flip them on ebay. Ebay is a thing which exists, and any decision to produce limited edition models has to be mindful of that context. - But my point is, this is not new ground for Wyrd. This is obviously something they are comfortable with. 

All that said, I don't get the hubbub. The metal versions of most of these sculpt's can still be picked up on the secondary market for non-outrageous sums of money. I don't think being plastic adds much of value to an otherwise similar sculpt. I mean, some models it inevitably would make a difference to. Give me a plastic version of classic metal Nikima, I think you probably have yourself a licence to print money. 

• Like 5

They look great, but unfortunately I don't know of any events in my part of the world. I generally only play with friends at my place or on Vassal. I really liked the 2E redesigns for the most part. If these sculpts are just 1:1 from the metal, I'm not sure how well they'll look compared to/mixed in with the current ones.

That said, a Misaki which isn't balanced on one foot would be really nice.