Can you play Resurrectionists without Nurses/Belles?

gibbindefs

I absolutely despise those models. I like the look of Yan Lo, Nicodem, McMourning and Tara is okay too. I like undead things and the idea of summoning more undead stuff but, I do not want to field an army of undead prostitutes. Is it viable to skip these models? If not, are there any alternative minis out there? Either male or just not ridiculously proportioned prostitutes.

Having only started Ressers proper about a month ago (after a year of 10T), I've yet to use either a Rotten Belle or a Nurse, and I get by. I do use a Dead Doxy, which might fall under your purview of "undead prostitutes" (they're actually dancers, but are visually similar to the Belles, being Belles of a sorts themselves), but she's by no means an army by herself.

Yan Lo does a good non-belle crew if you fill up on Ancestors, Spirits, Retainers and the Emissary, though, so if you fancy the look of him I can wholeheartedly recommend giving it a try.

As with most things in Malifaux, though, you should play what you enjoy playing. Don't let random folk on the internet (me included!) decide how you should play the game.

Well, unless you're spamming Belles via Leveticus, or playing Seamus, you typically only take 1-2 belles or nurses, so you're not exactly fielding an army of undead prositutes ;) 

Their proportions were toned down in the plastic editions of the models as well. Not sure why it's such a huge drag to you, as while I may not find a sculpt crazy amazing to paint/put together/field, but I enjoy the game and the rules of the game, and I'll use them anyway. In either case, you have many options. Alternatively, find cheap proxy models that could pass as Belles/Nurses. 

Alternatively, if you don't like playing villains (i.e. Seamus) there is always Molly, who I think is one of the best characters in Malifaux and also one of it's straight up heroes. She was killed and resurrected by Seamus but broke free from his control and now she breaks other belles (and doxies) free to help make the streets of Malifaux safe for all kinds of people, including sex workers.

It's probably my favorite Malifaux sub-plot. 

Edit: I should say, there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing a villain. I roll Guild after all.

*The peacekeeper backslap upside admiralvorkraft's head should come as a surprise to no one--that it happens seven times in a turn points at a contrary Hoffman player doing the slapping.*

I played against Kirai not that long ago. She summoned a heap of strangely shaped spirit undead but nothing with too much gore on the sculpt except for Lost Love.

And sometimes the look of something just presses your yuck button and that's Ok. I know I make disgusted faces at the Neverborn stuff and a lot of Outcast stuff too.

Can you play Ressers without Belles or Nurses?  Sure.  I have done so many times in my lists as they're not an auto-take.  Can you play them competitively?  Probably not.  They are both very strong models and though I have run lists without either of them those are few and far between and Nurses in particular almost always make the list.  If it's just the aesthetics that you don't like then as people have said above you can just make your own from the TTB kits which can be much less sexual.  However, be aware that you may not be allowed to use them in tournaments (if you plan on attending such).

16 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

*The peacekeeper backslap upside admiralvorkraft's head should come as a surprise to no one--that it happens seven times in a turn points at a contrary Hoffman player doing the slapping.*

You're right, Hoffman's just a nice guy who wants his brother back.

And Lucius is just a nice guy that wants his home back...

But my Guild mains are Sonnia and McMourning, neither of whom are nice people. Though McMourning might be the most entertaining character in the fluff.

8 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

You're right, Hoffman's just a nice guy who wants his brother back.

And Lucius is just a nice guy that wants his home back...

But my Guild mains are Sonnia and McMourning, neither of whom are nice people. Though McMourning might be the most entertaining character in the fluff.

Yeah. I had to describe Sonnia as 'the Room 101 girl' when trying to give a synopsis of a Malifaux game not too long ago.

And oh, how McMourning calls to me, but considering I already chew the scenery given half a chance, a free license to do more of it doesn't seem like a great idea...for my opponents.

They are not auto-takes at all. especailly the Belles in my opinion. They are both very strong models in their own way. I just don't always get great use out of belles as I don't always want to pull stuff towards me (the Doxy's are better in this regard).

The Nurses though are very powerful pieces able shut down models quite effectively. Almost to the point of being an NPE (I am not a fan of any Paralyze effects which is similar to what the Nurses can do). However, it can difficult not to take them as cheap as they are.

You do not need either to be competitive though. 

I don't think I've had a match without including a Nurse for years, but I mainly play McMourning (and occassionally Nicodem), and she is essential for priming the Poison-bomb on top of her general abilities.

Belles are great models as well, but I don't find them as crucial for all Strategies and Schemes, so they don't make their way to my lists all the time, and even if they do, I usually take just one of them, it's quite easy to go overboard on support models with our great options. Actually after the Nurse, Necropunks are the second most common 5-pointers I tend to take.

Don't the terms and conditions of being a Ressurectionist specify a minimum percentage of games per year using nurses and belles? 

I mean, sure, there's the Belle Credit Trading agreement to accommodate the people that insist on playing Kirai the whole year, but it's the principle of the matter.  :crow

• Like 2

IMO Belles are amazing for Tara - she really likes the ability to drag a weak enemy into her lines to give out Fast.

Kirai is IMO the Resser Master least likely to take either.

But I think that the most important question here is whether you intend to attend official tournaments. If not, there's plenty of ways to proxy both models.

If you intend to attend, then you could convert Nurses from the Starter Guild models (there's a nurse and two male orderlies which all could be made to fit the bill pretty easily). The Belles are a bit more difficult, but, well, you could go completely wild. IIRC Rathnard made a Belle from the Gremlin with the fishing pole (quite a literal Lure, there). Or have an undead chef with delicious cake. Cake is a powerful lure.

First Answer, 

Yes. You can Absolutely play resurrectionists without Belles and Nurses. You can play any of the masters and not have to use those models. 

The 2 models that summon belles (seamus and Molly) only on their card, can easily play a play style where you aren't doing that. (Molly can hire eitehr limited upgrade and summon something else. Seamus can use his other (0) to back ally better, or corpse bloat, or even Muhuhuhua. 

There are some things you might find harder by choosing not to use those models, but there isn't anything that the faction can't handle without using them. 

The nurse is a decent support model, and can offer paralyse, and similar effects to the enemy crew, but isn't essentital. You might find that using no nurses makes it harder for you to set up a huge amount of poison on a model to expunge with McMorning is harder, but thats only  1 play style for McMorning. 

Seamus is the only one master in the Resser that might be hard to get along without belles. Without WP duels failing around him, he will die as fast as any of the easier to kill masters in the game, if not faster.

(As a side note it is a reason why if you are planning on playing Seamus, and your opponent declares Ressers, you should most likely find room for Chiaki or Johann if your plans require Seamus to stay alive. If the Hanged makes an appearance and you get hit with Whispers that will be the end of Seamus if you can't get that condition removed.)

It might be possible to play him, but I think you would be more limited in crew construction, and would probably be forced into taking Sinister reputation to make sure you actually have reliable successes to keep him healed.

• Like 1