The Viks, twin blades. And kenshiro.

Korrok

Reads to be like they can engage one round and next round go where it really hurts with diving charge.

But i am going to miss the 10 Attacks stat 7 vs DF double activation

I am not so hyped about the artwork on the card right now, they look a bit on the granny side🤐. I am already measuring stuff to make a Magnetized 50mm Base for the old models.

1 hour ago, Gheist said:

I am not so hyped about the artwork on the card right now, they look a bit on the granny side🤐. I am already measuring stuff to make a Magnetized 50mm Base for the old models.

Agreed. Please let us know your findings on the measurements. 

I'm loving this. In many ways the Vik's are among the most iconic and also limited theme crews and masters in the game.

The Vik's are the twin bladed blade whirlwind, the sisters of death. The entire concept is well loved and iconic, as demonstrated by the 10+ variations on the sisters which Wyrd has released at various times.

What did Wyrd do, the Vik's are on a single base (like the old avatar) so closer than ever, they are straight melee as the blades flash, but they have lost some mobility (not much but some) and lethality (including at range) but gained significant durability. They scheme more, they benefit their Merc crew a little. It "feels" like the Vik's (the blade wielding sisters) but will, I suspect, play very differently, if you select a crew to play into OG Vik's and instead hit the new Vik's it's going to be rough.

With an iconic master which has a well established theme they have managed to carve out an alternative playstyle which still feels like it suits the underlying theme but will play differently. Excellent.

As to the controversy(??) over how they will be available.

It is a trap, as others have identified, with no great answer. All separate boxes places huge retail pressure and box bloat. Purely faction based (where a master releases with a partner keyword model(s)) means multi-faction or multi-crew master players may end up having to purchase double master with extra boxes. The multi-faction option means single faction players get a unwanted extra master. One way or another someone complains, legitimately.

So Wyrd goes the best option for them (fair), a good option for stores (fair) and likely a good option for players (yeah OK). Probably (unconfirmed) selling dual masters with extra mini's. This allows a secondary market for just the unwanted master, or room for using the unwanted master as a modelling source, or gets the player/purchaser to explore another master in a different faction because they have the new figure, or (I think best for Wyrd) gets a player/purchaser to entice another player into a new game.

Alongside the new faction starter boxes you could now really expand the Schemes & Stones building on a budget, likely for under US$200- get a base master + crew, add the starter versatile's, add the alt-title master, add one maybe two boxes to taste and fill and boom you have two highly flexible thematic crews which play very differently complementing each other well. Good bait for a veteran player looking to entice new blood into the hobby, specially as much of the world crawls out under the Covid rock.   

It's what I'm planning to do.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Gheist said:

Huh. Just goes to show that art is subjective! I love this, yet really don't like the M3E Viks (I use the M2E ones, which IMO are awesome! Love the Sucker Punch vibes of that box!). Not really sure where you're getting the granny idea, they still look plenty young to me.

While the loss of the guns is odd (room had to be made on the card I guess), I do love that Blood gave one of her swords to Ashes (Spoilers) after the loss of the Masamune (very sisterly!). Its loss I guess made Ashes a bit less crazed, which is also reflected in the art.

I also quite like the balance between practical wear (not like M3E Ashes' boobs about to fall out!) while still maintaining their trademark minimalistic clothing (kind of like Lilith & Wyches from 40k. All that unscarred bare skin shows their skill as swordswomen), something the M3E Viks missed.

For basing, What I had done was use pins through one foot on each Vik. With this, I can transfer them from their individual 30mm bases to a 50mm. Because the bases are resin, the pins actually hold really well for a game, which I don't think would work are well if I were swapping in and out throughout the game. The plan was to magnetise the other foot, but having seen the new art, I don't think that will be necessary for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Da Git said:

Huh. Just goes to show that art is subjective! I love this, yet really don't like the M3E Viks (I use the M2E ones, which IMO are awesome! Love the Sucker Punch vibes of that box!). Not really sure where you're getting the granny idea, they still look plenty young to me.

Sure it's super objective :) i feel the one on the bottom right looks like you shoved someone twice the assumed age into the Goth-Fighter Outfit and then shot her with the Makeup Cannon.

And while, and i emphasize this, this is perfectly allright, it just does not match the mental picture i had when reading all those fluff Stories in the various books. I Must add that the M3E Viks weren't super spot on for me either.

Concerning the new Model, maybe i'll just wait for the sculpt and see if the faces can be tailored over with a brush.

9 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

For ideas of double basing, check out magnetised coryphee. People do it all the time.

Is even easier for viks as you don't have to swap back and forth during the game so opens up design options.

I am not really sure i want to cut them from their base given the method of attachment. I hate to ruin my own Paintjobs, mediocre as they may be ;)

8 hours ago, Da Git said:

I'm completely with you on the Sucker Punch-themed M2E Viks. They're my favorite as well. I do break out the Easter Viks quite a bit too, just because they're fun. I don't mind the M3E Viks and they are more action oriented than the M2E models, but they aren't as cool. It'll be really interesting to see the Twin Blades in model form. I can see Wyrd putting out a really nice looking model that I'll wind up with anyway. 

Just realized how obnoxious the Viks are going to be against Hoffman.

Sure, you probably need to win the initiative check to get full effect, but given that Hoffman balls up, and while maneuverable, generally, doesn't have a great Mv stat, the inbuilt crow on Combat Maneuver has got the potential for some significant damage and/or disruption.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:50 PM, Morgan Vening said:

Just realized how obnoxious the Viks are going to be against Hoffman.

Sure, you probably need to win the initiative check to get full effect, but given that Hoffman balls up, and while maneuverable, generally, doesn't have a great Mv stat, the inbuilt crow on Combat Maneuver has got the potential for some significant damage and/or disruption.

As i have played this matchup a couple of times: they really needed antiarmor, it was super embarassing that vs hoffmann you could merely rund around and win through movement heavy Schemes (and he could still beat you to it)

Now that i have taken a look at the Card, Kenshiro is kind of broken for only 7 Stones.

Fleet of foot is such a match-deciding skill in both crews. I mean you can trade 1 Yan Lo AP for a 10!! inch Movement for anything else in Round 5. You can sneak in some many schemes that way

I like the most that new Victoria's that you can place friend and not only models up to 10 inch, combined with triger that repeat action it's easy 20 movement for some frinedly models. Also focus for every mercanary for 1 discarded card. Then you can use Student and give someone fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Treasure Seekers gives a good reason to bring the Malifaux Child. Child interacts to drop a scheme marker, does treasure seekers for a 5, you discard 3 cards to give 3 models focused, and then when Twin Blades activates, you do Claim the Bounty to draw 2 cards. You can bring Yannick to even end up drawing more cards than you discard.

• Like 2