The Viks, twin blades. And kenshiro.

Korrok

Comboing with Prospectors allows for quite the little knot of Hazardous Terrain there. Though if you don't go that route Yannic or their other bonus can provide all sorts of card draw. Nice to have another Diving Charge model. Given all their defensive rules they're quite a turn in terms of resilience.

Kenshiro seems AMAZING. Holy cow I'm so excited for that model. 2 Bayou 2 cards per turn with no range or LOS? Don't mind if I do. Fleet of foot letting you do curved charges? Hell yeah.

I'm not sure what to think about the new Viks, I'll need to see them in action. I'm glad they essential brought back their avatar form though. That's neat. I hope they let you use it as an official proxy.

1 hour ago, Azahul said:

Comboing with Prospectors allows for quite the little knot of Hazardous Terrain there. Though if you don't go that route Yannic or their other bonus can provide all sorts of card draw. Nice to have another Diving Charge model. Given all their defensive rules they're quite a turn in terms of resilience.

Combine that with Alice OOK for all the Hazardous shenanigans! Mini game is to see how many models you can place within A Thousand Cuts, A Pit Trap and the Prospector's Mining Law'ed scheme markers for 3dg... bonus points if you also Blades Flourish them for that sweet 6dg!

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, touchdown said:

Kenshiro seems AMAZING. Holy cow I'm so excited for that model. 2 Bayou 2 cards per turn with no range or LOS? Don't mind if I do. Fleet of foot letting you do curved charges? Hell yeah.

I'm not sure what to think about the new Viks, I'll need to see them in action. I'm glad they essential brought back their avatar form though. That's neat. I hope they let you use it as an official proxy.

On the Kenshiro front, Seeking the Blade is fascinating. It's basically telling you if you should spend a Tactics Token or Focus on your next flip. Doesn't work quite so well on the new Viktoria, but old Viktorias would get some great use out of it.

Actually weird how much of his kit doesn't apply to new Viktoria too. Diving Charge means she doesn't care about Fleet of Foot either.

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

Combine that with Alice OOK for all the Hazardous shenanigans! Mini game is to see how many models you can place within A Thousand Cuts, A Pit Trap and the Prospector's Mining Law'ed scheme markers for 3dg... bonus points if you also Blades Flourish them for that sweet 6dg!

Gotta get some landmines out too lol.

31 minutes ago, Azahul said:

On the Kenshiro front, Seeking the Blade is fascinating. It's basically telling you if you should spend a Tactics Token or Focus on your next flip. Doesn't work quite so well on the new Viktoria, but old Viktorias would get some great use out of it.

Actually weird how much of his kit doesn't apply to new Viktoria too. Diving Charge means she doesn't care about Fleet of Foot either.

I wonder if that's intentional? Thinking about the cards more, the new ones seem like a more forgiving style. Harder to kill, resource generation, multiple ways to get out of engagement or drop scheme markers, bonus actions that are more universally applicable, potential min 5 damage. The old Viks seem a lot more mentally challenging to play. So maybe the new model is to help boost their playstyle to compensate.

Looking forward to seeing the new Viks in action. I'm wondering if there 3E box models could fit onto a base together. I've always liked them, and I think I like them better than what I see in the new art, but haven't bought them since I have two sets of Viks already! It looks like you might be able to have one of the 3E models essentially leaping over and maybe even stepping on the other. 

Does anyone know if the sizes would work out for that?

Thinking about it, I actually reckon Twin-Blades would make an amazing second master, which Outcasts don't really have that many of aside maybe Parker. Pretty much all of her stuff is independent of keyword, she can throw anyone, deny schemes/draws cards, make hazardous, and is a generally amazing beater/tank.

1 hour ago, touchdown said:

Gotta get some landmines out too lol.

Nice! So we're looking at:

Von Schill as leader

Trunky

Twin-Blades - 17

Rusty Alice - 10

Prospector - 6

Drachen (for Burn it Down) - 8 (not competitive, but eh, this is about MOAR Hazardous!)

Probably a Freikorpsmann to throw down land mines without needing to discard

All the Hazardous!

I like both the new Vikis and Kensihiro. 

A bit sad that new vikis does the same than olds ones (move and kill), but with a couple of new tricks and better in defense. Really not sold on Treasure Seekers action, but both bonus are sweet. 

And Kensihiro is a new tool with new tricks in a crew in wich almost every good member does the same (to move and to beat), so really happy with him. 

Also a bit sad that the Vikis box is the first box in wich the master has different size and base than the original, so "you are forced" To buy the box to play the new profile. 

3 minutes ago, Zebo said:

I like both the new Vikis and Kensihiro. 

A bit sad that new vikis does the same than olds ones (move and kill), but with a couple of new tricks and better in defense. Really not sold on Treasure Seekers action, but both bonus are sweet. 

And Kensihiro is a new tool with new tricks in a crew in wich almost every good member does the same (to move and to beat), so really happy with him. 

Also a bit sad that the Vikis box is the first box in wich the master has different size and base than the original, so "you are forced" To buy the box to play the new profile. 

I think it'd be easy enough to toss some magnets on your viks and just attach them to a 50mm base.

So I think this one is really easy to do without the model.

I will surely give them a chance, but am honestly a bit dissapointed. Sure, they gain more survivability (although it might not be really that big as they the new ones has less HP, far less healing and no boosting demise), but their damage output is far lower (+they lost their guns) and I dare say, their mobility is lower too.

Only thing that appeals to me is that option to reposition enemies (like intrepid emmisary 🙂), but for me the older dynamic playstyle has been far more interesting.

in addition, it guite bugs me, that we were promised to be able to use older models for any titled version and the need to remove painted models from bases to magnetize them does not really fit to that description for me.

4 hours ago, LexLock said:

Malifaux Child can copy Treasure Seekers... that's a lot of focus.

It still requires cards discarded for the focus, so I guess that would be the limiting factor.

21 minutes ago, malyzubor said:

I will surely give them a chance, but am honestly a bit dissapointed. Sure, they gain more survivability (although it might not be really that big as they the new ones has less HP, far less healing and no boosting demise), but their damage output is far lower (+they lost their guns) and I dare say, their mobility is lower too.

Only thing that appeals to me is that option to reposition enemies (like intrepid emmisary 🙂), but for me the older dynamic playstyle has been far more interesting.

Combat Manouever works only on Sz2 or less unless you mean some other ability

29 minutes ago, malyzubor said:

in addition, it guite bugs me, that we were promised to be able to use older models for any titled version and the need to remove painted models from bases to magnetize them does not really fit to that description for me.

It still requires cards discarded for the focus, so I guess that would be the limiting factor.

i think we arent giving combat maneuver enough credit imo, even just to 30mm models, it can be a 10" *place* (1" range, your base is about 2" the model grabbed is 1, plus you can place it at the very edge of the bubble) , granted places are rarely as short as they appear, i imagine you can really utilize certain models like hans with that
6" is not short, especially for a 50mm model like this, but you've also got swift action on it

Edited by fire5tone
credit for friendly models*
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, malyzubor said:

I guess it depends on what you want. There is no requirement for the viks models you play with to be a certain Viks model sculpt (which is handy as I think there are 12 different Viks sculpts out there even before we get this model). From that view point you can use any of your viks models as any of the Viks titles. Yes, if you have already based them, its a little harder (Although you could just stick the 30mm base straight onto a 50mm base and that would be legal).  I know if you played Guildball you had to have the right sculpt of each for the profile once they started introducing Veteran versions, which is not what Malifaux is doing here, so I was glad they said that wasn't the route they were taking. 

I think you might well find that their mobility is greater, every sword swing comes with a 2" push, and diving charge does really add to a models mobility (Even if its just used to allow you to disengage without suffering a disengaging strike and still be allowed to interact that turn). 

1 hour ago, fire5tone said:

also, i dont believe they ever said you could always just use the same model, but so far you still can, stack bases with one vik if your guys let ya

I bet they did, as the original idea was, that a new player with just a single gang would have options to reasonably play them into more variable pools. So that they can just take their gang to a tournament and choose appropriate title for each game. But of course, I might have misunderstood it and what had been said somewhere, does not really matter now. All those people asking for single base viks profile, so they can play their avatars, are surely happy. 🙂

52 minutes ago, Adran said:

I think you might well find that their mobility is greater, every sword swing comes with a 2" push, and diving charge does really add to a models mobility (Even if its just used to allow you to disengage without suffering a disengaging strike and still be allowed to interact that turn).

I think the real mobility of the vanilla Viks was in their two models being able to spread and easly join again wherever they wanted to if needed. And that 2" push is quite dependable on enemies position.

8 hours ago, Da Git said:

Thinking about it, I actually reckon Twin-Blades would make an amazing second master, which Outcasts don't really have that many of aside maybe Parker. Pretty much all of her stuff is independent of keyword, she can throw anyone, deny schemes/draws cards, make hazardous, and is a generally amazing beater/tank.

That was my thought.  Yes, the two Mercenary Masters might have more damage output, but the combination of that damage track and the survivability options of Twin Blades is perfect for a second, independent Master to boost whatever you're trying to do.

1 hour ago, malyzubor said:

I bet they did, as the original idea was, that a new player with just a single gang would have options to reasonably play them into more variable pools. So that they can just take their gang to a tournament and choose appropriate title for each game. But of course, I might have misunderstood it and what had been said somewhere, does not really matter now. All those people asking for single base viks profile, so they can play their avatars, are surely happy. 🙂

Well, they do allow for a different type of pool something more rewarding of tankiness, or being able to leverage other parts of the keyword and faction partially through granting *other* models some frankly insane manouver ability (like taelor) but comes with the negatives obviously associated with not having a second vik

Again, I'd you have a 50mm base you can just throw your based vik into it, or if you have a 40 and 50 each size fits perfectly into the next, so you can just use that if it's so bad

Im fairly sure they never promised you could just use current master models as the title version. You can of course by changing the base size, but buying one (small) additional box with the new sculpt isn’t exactly a big deal, especially compared to other war games out there.

what this does though is allows players to far more effectively take just a single master and their keyword and exclusively run that, but being more flexible and adaptable than previously. It’s a massive reduction to the (already low) barrier to entry for the game as currently if you want to play well in tournaments and have depth you almost need 3-4 crews in your stable. With titles you could plausibly go with just one crew, which is incredible for newer players or those without time/money to buy and paint up large numbers of models.

anyway, very excited to try new Viks. I think they’ll fit a very different niche and much more defensive, able to lock down an area effectively and power up a lot of our other keyword models

• Agree 1