Lucas McCabe (Wastrel Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

Now that we're starting to see Explorer's Society models for the keyword, here's the first of our dual-faction Masters: the disreputable 'treasure hunter' Lucas McCabe and his band of lovable sleazeballs. Already quite cozy among the Ten Thunders' fantastic Versatile models and Upgrades, will the Explorer's Society be able to tempt McCabe players across the faction line?

MASTER

Lucas McCabe, Relic HunterLucas McCabe, Dismounted Hunter

Lucas McCabe, Tomb Delver

[Upgrades: Timeworn Blade, Phantasmal Mask, Faded Mirror]

HENCHMAN

Desper LaRaux

Jessie Halliday

Sidir Archibal

ENFORCERS

Corpse Curator

Luna

MINIONS

Cryptologist x2

Hucksters x3

Rough Riders x2

Ruffians x3

VIDEOS:

(Mini) Keyword Review by Whut

COLLECTING

Core Box: McCabe (Relic Hunter & Dismounted Hunter), Luna, Sidir Archibal, and 3 Ruffians

"One Born Every Minute" Box: Desper LaRaux and 3 Hucksters

"Wanderlust" Box: Jessie Halliday

"Fool's Gold" Box: 2 Cryptologists and 2 Rough Riders

???: McCabe (Tomb Delver) and Corpse Curator

Limited Edition

"The Wild Ones" Nightmare Edition Box: Alternate sculpts of McCabe (Relic Hunter & Dismounted Hunter), Luna, Sidir Archibal, and 2 Rough Riders

"Miss Anne Thrope": Alternate sculpt of Ruffian

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Sarah Cole said:

This keyword is getting me more and more with every new card released. Jessie's Soulstone draw and 12" ranged attack with a repositioning trigger is going to be great for completing and denying schemes.

And don't forget her :ToS-Fast: shockwave that prevents interact.

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Might be worth adding the Wild Ones box to the list (both mccabes/Rollins, Sidir/Cherry, Luna/Iggy, and the rough riders/ramones). Basically it drops the Ruffians in favour of Rough Riders, so is a pretty sweet box for starting the keyword.

It is (although you may struggle to get ruffians later) but it is generally only available at the 3 wyrd sales a year, so I personally wouldn't put it on a general list of things to get

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adran said:

It is (although you may struggle to get ruffians later) but it is generally only available at the 3 wyrd sales a year, so I personally wouldn't put it on a general list of things to get

You can always get Miss Anne as the same time, and I think a single ruffian should be enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Might be worth adding the Wild Ones box to the list (both mccabes/Rollins, Sidir/Cherry, Luna/Iggy, and the rough riders/ramones). Basically it drops the Ruffians in favour of Rough Riders, so is a pretty sweet box for starting the keyword.

If you're doing alts, don't forget Miss Anne Thrope!

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 6:11 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I had the 2e McCabe box as he looked awesome, and this time round got the Wild Ones (mostly for the rough riders, as I play guild and recently got Basse) but the sculpts look awesome. Shame it costs a bunch to get it to the UK.... but worth it. A nice treat to myself after this hard year!

• Like 2

Any ideas on what to use Cryptologists for?

You can use them to obey your own stuff (use the effect to give them fast for having the upgrade, then eat the fast to pay the obey cost).  Interestingly you can do it to masters, so can get extra actions out of masters (except your leader).

I can't think of any start of activation stuff you want to stop on your own models.

And with move four, it seems like it'll have trouble keeping up with what seems to be an insanely mobile crew? Not sure it is doing enough for 6 stones, but I don't know the keyword well yet.

Especially looking at Alpinist for 5 stones... Looks like a better option?

10 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Any ideas on what to use Cryptologists for?

You can use them to obey your own stuff (use the effect to give them fast for having the upgrade, then eat the fast to pay the obey cost).  Interestingly you can do it to masters, so can get extra actions out of masters (except your leader).

I can't think of any start of activation stuff you want to stop on your own models.

And with move four, it seems like it'll have trouble keeping up with what seems to be an insanely mobile crew? Not sure it is doing enough for 6 stones, but I don't know the keyword well yet.

Especially looking at Alpinist for 5 stones... Looks like a better option?

1) Give an upgrade to Sidir in melee (or anybody you wanna become fast) activate him and make 3 attacks (or wherever you wanna do).

2)Activate a cryptologist and Shoot twice an enemie in melee with Sidir or a friendly model and trigger :tome to give shielded.

3)Then activate cryptologist and use his :ToS-Fast: to give Sidir fast again for next turn without any new upgrade. If you gave him shielded or has another condition you can trigger with :mask to make him take a new attack. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Jordon said:

Anyone have any ideas on how to expand on the wild one box? Now that we have our wheeled rough riders again, and a expanded roster of available models.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any models that could fit the theme of this crew of "old timey mad max"?

I got the One Born Every Minute and a bunch of Micro Art Studio bases (10x 30mm, 6x 40mm, 1x 50mm, will customise rough rider bases). I sort of imagine the Wild Ones running around causing mayhem while the Hucksters are the ones who sort out the cash flow to continue the shenanigans. They all live in salvaged scrap yard, of course.

So has a nice story in my head, not sure how it'll look on the table.

8 hours ago, belorey said:

1) Give an upgrade to Sidir in melee (or anybody you wanna become fast) activate him and make 3 attacks (or wherever you wanna do).

2)Activate a cryptologist and Shoot twice an enemie in melee with Sidir or a friendly model and trigger :tome to give shielded.

3)Then activate cryptologist and use his :ToS-Fast: to give Sidir fast again for next turn without any new upgrade. If you gave him shielded or has another condition you can trigger with :mask to make him take a new attack. 

Step one can be done without the cryptologist.

Step two is nice if you have the suits. Step 3 is a decently sweet payoff (two extra actions), but that's a lot of setup and time for something to go wrong (when you could just hit Sidir/Cherry with another upgrade?)

That said I've not tested them out, so no idea. I have a bad history of underestimating models with armor 😜

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Step one can be done without the cryptologist.

Step two is nice if you have the suits. Step 3 is a decently sweet payoff (two extra actions), but that's a lot of setup and time for something to go wrong (when you could just hit Sidir/Cherry with another upgrade?)

That said I've not tested them out, so no idea. I have a bad history of underestimating models with armor 😜

You don't really need to prepare a setup, Sidir/Desper are going to be in melee many times, and they will get an upgrade too, so with criptologist you can give them fast twice with a single upgrade.

Or if they are slow, you use criptologist to take of slow and give them fast.

9 hours ago, touchdown said:

You get looted supplies and fast with some setup. That's not bad for bonus action, and helps with needing a 9.

True!

I usually prefer my cheap models do the setup, rather than supporting the cheap models.

And cheating a 9 to draw a card feels rough (unless you're getting the mask trigger).

I could be wrong, I probably just need to try it xD As I said, I tend to underestimate armored models.