Hired Swords- a Viktorias tactica

Rygnan

34 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

If you're the attacker, and your opponent doesn't force you to deploy him first, maybe you can find a good spot for him. If you're the defender, you can see a part of the enemy crew and try to have LoS to those, which you won't be able to shoot (efficiently) until turn 2, when if they wanted to be safe from Hans, they could already have been.

Well, you can decide to hire him after you know whether you're the attacker, but I think you can do modest repositioning regardless of zone in most of those games.

34 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

That means that he can have an impact in the game. Is that impact worht 8ss? IMHO, never with the Outcasts crews that I play, I have better picks for a similar cost.

Another thing is that, if the would have been a good pick, why nobody played him so far? I can think of tons of reasons 😜 

Well, I'm not claiming he is competitive in a world series. I'm claiming he is a fine pick for casual play xD

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

You can typically find a corridor where he can shoot, that's not really an issue. The tricky thing is finding a corridor your opponent is going to walk into even knowing Hans is where he is.

That's why I mentioned the centre. For an extreme example, if claim jump + leave your mark are in the pool, you can be reasonably confident that your opponent will go to the centre at some point.

Which is part of the point - you need to find a clear shooting line and then take advantage of future positioning there. If you try to position where your opponent currently is, that's a fruitless chase across the board.

EDIT: I do play with lots of forests, hills, and narrow rocks. Dense is pretty easy to bypass, and concealing and cover are pure upside for him. The only thing that stops his shots is full LOS blocking. If he gets to stand on a hill, even better.

EDIT2: Case in point - in November world series on vassal, every board has multiple deployment zones that can draw LOS to the centre of the board.

u cannt ignore dence terrain and what hans can do to enemy that scores claim jump?

23 minutes ago, Plaag said:

u cannt ignore dence terrain and what hans can do to enemy that scores claim jump?

Not competitively, so you shouldn't use him, but...

You can ignore dense terrain by positioning around it, or just stepping into base contact with it.

For claim jump, he indirectly helps by offering support fire to control the centre.

Additionally, his daze trigger means he can reposition enemy models if you suspect claim jump shenanigans. In an extreme case, you can shoot your own model to reposition it, but I wouldn't recommend that in most cases xD

• 4 months later...

The Catalan Brawler unlocks a lot for the Viks. I think he can even make them viable for Public Enemies. Making your squishy masters un-attackable and you have 3 models that can generate extra attacks (and with stats of 7 and 6 so you can get them off).

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Deathknight Tactica said:

I know this has probably been asked before but I can't find the thread. What is the proper way to handle the assassination scheme if your opponent is the Viktorias?

One Viktoria is declared the leader (which is open information), so you always know which Viktoria counts.

It's a dicey scheme anyway mind you. The Viktorias can pack a lot of healing and they only need to get to 5 health to deny the scheme. If they've taken Servant of Dark Powers then that Viktoria only needs one kill to get from 1 health to 5... and then you've let a pretty dangerous model get yet another turn on the table if you keep going for the Reveal. Most of my opponents who've taken Assassinate have given up on scoring the Reveal after a couple of rounds of being denied by some combination of the Emissary/Vanessa/the Viktorias getting kills and have made sure to put the Assassinate target in the dirt without ever scoring the Reveal, and by that point quite a lot of damage has been done.

19 hours ago, Azahul said:

It's a dicey scheme anyway mind you. The Viktorias can pack a lot of healing and they only need to get to 5 health to deny the scheme. If they've taken Servant of Dark Powers then that Viktoria only needs one kill to get from 1 health to 5... and then you've let a pretty dangerous model get yet another turn on the table if you keep going for the Reveal. Most of my opponents who've taken Assassinate have given up on scoring the Reveal after a couple of rounds of being denied by some combination of the Emissary/Vanessa/the Viktorias getting kills and have made sure to put the Assassinate target in the dirt without ever scoring the Reveal, and by that point quite a lot of damage has been done.

^this, I’d agree just don’t take it if you want more than the end point. But I’ve had more than a few opponents surprised by how hard they are to take down given their low health pool and defences. If your own crew has lots of armour, terrifying, inhuman reflexes etc and are hard to put down then they’re easier to kill because they have to heal by killing other (usually weaker) models.