Waldo's Weekly - Money, It's a Hit

Kyle

Hey Wyrdos,

This week, Waldo learned a hard lesson in economics when we took him to the local game store. With cardboard and plastic still plastered between his teeth, our favorite little imp was kindly shown the front door before the authorities arrived. After explaining to him the concept of money, that the store shelves weren’t a feeding ground, and goods needed to be purchased before they were eaten, he stopped listening altogether. Apparently he’s too broke to pay attention. *ba-dum-tsh*

This week, we’re taking a look at another Malifaux Third Edition box that will be coming out soon, Loyalty to Coin!

WaldosWeekly_0515_Front.png

If there's one thing that these three Mercenaries have in common, it’s making sure that after a job is done, they’re getting paid. Of varying skill levels, talents, and notoriety, these weapons for hire have all found their way working under the Viktoria sisters.

WaldosWeekly_0515_Back.png

For Big Jake, the Viks seemed like the right choice because they go after big name bounties without even a blink of an eye. For the Student of Conflict, the Mercenary camp is a home and they are her family, learning from her leaders in the way of the sword in the process. And, for Taelor, working with the twins means that she gets to ensure that her Relic Hammer connects with a few skulls – having enough scrip in her pocket to pay for her drinking habit doesn’t hurt, either.

The Loyalty to Coin box will be available in July!

Just like last week, we’ve got new mobile wallpapers for these hired guns. Check them out!

WaldosWeekly_0515_Jake_Mobile.jpg WaldosWeekly_0515_Student_Mobile.jpg WaldosWeekly_0515_Taelor_Mobile.jpg 

We will be out of the office next week, so Waldo will be utilizing that time to consume everything he can before we get back and have to fork over the check to cover the expenses.

• Like 5

very good, and I hope you do not take it badly, I love all the minis that you have taken, and I have a lot as a collector, and one of the minis that I like is Taelor, both normal and its alternative version, but this new, that you have shown, I do not like anything, sorry guys, I think it's good, also tell you where you fail a little and that I already have a good shopping list, for when you start to take things from 3,

encourage

Love the new student, and Big Jake was always great, but wow, Taelor. Not my favourite version, let's say. Face is really ugly. Not that it's badly sculpted, it's just ugly, and not in a fun way.

Taelor in the lore has always been portrayed as something of a fun, rowdy drunk. This one looks like she's ready to take her issues out on someone who can't defend themselves. I hope her lore doesn't change to match this new look.

Well one can't like all of them.

Currently I'm still in the mixed feeling in regards to art and sculpts, some I really like, I think the Colette crew is wonderful and the youkou box also, but I really dislike this taylor :( Anna Lovelace the same :( . I doubt I will get my hands on the old Taylor so it;s really a shame because it's a model I really would like to add to my collection. While I do see why Taylor is like this, maybe the other one was too girly but that's what actually made it kinda fun.

Well, the world keeps turning :) 

To me, this is more Taelor than Miss Deed was. Even if I do miss the sardonic grin. (Miss Deed is like the Hodgepodge Emissary; a lovely sculpt that is not at all representative of its relative importance in game.)

Student of Conflict is purest squee. Different enough from the old one to provide variety, same animating spirit. Also I have wanted to see puffy ponytails in sculpt form for awhile, ever since someone greenstuffed them onto a Malifaux Child awhile back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm a fan of how crews are looking to be packaged now.  Master box, with a side box or two as keyword options.  In M2E that was pretty much what you'd need for most crews to play at full strength or to give them a bit of flexibility but a lot of new players seemed to be told that just a crew box would be enough to get into the game and that always seemed a bit untrue to me.  

With this new split of smaller Master boxes and keyword boxes (from what I've seen), they package well, with a good mix for new players starting out.  

Additionally, I find some of the master boxes more enticing to pick up for masters I don't already have but do have several individuals or minions in the keyword (ex. I don't own somer [yet] but I do have 8 bayou gremlins).

Glad many of you like the new packaging but I, for one, do not. If I end up wanting to buy a single model outside my crew's keyword (or even within the keyword) but have no interest or use for the other models it's packaged with?  Now I'm payin' for plastic I ain't playin'.

And what's the word on buying models included in the starter boxes? If i want one of the Vics starter minions to supplement my Von Schill crew do I end up paying $50 for that model?

23 hours ago, ezramantis said:

Glad many of you like the new packaging but I, for one, do not. If I end up wanting to buy a single model outside my crew's keyword (or even within the keyword) but have no interest or use for the other models it's packaged with?  Now I'm payin' for plastic I ain't playin'.

And what's the word on buying models included in the starter boxes? If i want one of the Vics starter minions to supplement my Von Schill crew do I end up paying $50 for that model?

It's mostly the difference between new and old players.  Old players who have crews already will end up buying boxes with models tehy don't want in order to get new ones.  An old player who already has a particular Masters crew box probably wasn't going to be rebuying that Masters box again anyway (I mean, I did with Hoffman, but I'm definitely the exception rather than the rule!) But new players can buy a Core Box, and then the expansion box for that Keyword and have none of those issues. And for the game to grow it needs new players.  And this way there are fewer boxes for retailers to stock on the shelves.  This way of packaging makes sense to attract new players, and its unfortunate for those who have been playing longer.  I can see why they've done it this way though.

Just remember that if you are only after one of the new models you can get that separately for the first year, after which I assume it will be all new models being released and won't be as much of an issue.  And there will probably be some kind of singles market on eBay and the like.

Unfortunately it’s the SKU problem—single model boxes create a situation where a store can’t stock the product line.  And “Special Order Only” as a solution doesn’t make anyone happy. (If the store has to special order it and you have to wait to get it, why are ordering it from the store again?)

52 minutes ago, solkan said:

Unfortunately it’s the SKU problem—single model boxes create a situation where a store can’t stock the product line.  And “Special Order Only” as a solution doesn’t make anyone happy. (If the store has to special order it and you have to wait to get it, why are ordering it from the store again?)

Avoiding shipping charges, mostly.

While I also sigh at the lessened choice of single boxes, we are blessed with a very responsive reseller whose entire business is splitting boxes and selling singles. Give Gadzooks Gaming a try! They have sold me single minions out of a three-pack, single minis for conversion fodder, and while I haven’t tried their terrain/3D markers yet those have gotten many rave reviews.

• Like 1

I also like cherry picking my models but I think on this point Wyrd has been thoughtful of older players with the special order concept.

So this new bundle packaging is quite OK imho.

SKU management is a hell once you reach a large enough range of products so this change is perfectly understandable imho.

And, as Gnomezilla said, Gadzook is amazing and very efficient so, even after the first year, we should be able to get parts of the boxes.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, ezramantis said:

I understand this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is cheaper for all involved to buy a box of 3 figures rather than 3 separate boxes of one. (perhaps to buy these 3 separately it would cost $30 to buy to pay for extra packaging, product design and storage space) then if you buy several Wyrd boxes you end up making a saving that offsets the plastic you aren't using. This does mean that the company are rewarding those players that buy more of their stuff over those that buy less. but that is a fairly standard business model.

I haven't heard anything about models is starter boxes appearing else where. I've also not heard anything about them not appearing else where. They may have removed things like the Ronin box from their list of products but we just haven't heard yet.

18 hours ago, solkan said:

If the store has to special order it and you have to wait to get it, why are ordering it from the store again?

To support a local business that you play at? I almost exclusively buy things from my LGS, and special order just about everything I get. In return they provide a fantastic place to play and grow the community. When I can go meet up for a game at Ebay or Amazon then maybe that will change

• Like 1
  • Agree 1