2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Caedrus

Suddenly, it was May!

This is the thread for the May 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. It's May! May's birthstone is the emerald, so why not put some sparkling green down on your miniature? In the UK, it's National Smile Month, so a month to paint some pearly white teeth, as well!

Last month, we saw a few mulligans, but still some wonderful painting. Just yesterday, we saw the release schedule for M3E, so lots of exciting new sculpts coming, as well. Time to clear your shelf of shame!

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here.

Who knows what May will bring?

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2019. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value;
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • Custom tokens are worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

3rd Edition Changeover!

Since Malifaux 3rd Edition hits on June 28th, from July 1st, we'll be using the M3E values from that point on.

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for May!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

Caedrus' Month-of-May Pledge!

nePHu2F.jpg

Behold my shelf of shame. April's semi-sculpted Recruiter and a Marshall are my highest priority, but getting my Hungering-Darkness-Proxy done is also high on my list!

On my so-close-to-finishing-I-can-taste-the-varnish, I have the Handler, and my Wendigo!

Have a fantastic May, fellow painters!

Caedrus.

• Like 7

Was gonna pledge a bit over 50 stones for the painting achievement and generally being excited about Yan Lo. Got informed today that I'd be doing a small non-Wyrd commission so that might not be feasible pledge anymore. Will do a proper pledge once I figure out the specifics.

But here's a little sneak peek:

pic4719280.jpg

Crime Boss I started today.  Just sketching out the colour scheme. Lots of white & blue I reckon. Might attempt to scribble a kanji on her banners. There's a game day coming up this saturday and I really, really want to play her. Can't do that unpainted. Busy busy!

• Like 4

Perfect timing. Just got my pledge primed and went looking for this thread. Gonna finish up Kirai's crew, and I'm glad I found cheap boxes on eBay because it looks like they're not making her M3E stuff for a while.

uvltci8.jpg

And here I must rant again:

duAMyZB.jpg

These Goryo were the most infuriating minis I have ever assembled, and I've put together TWO Kingdom Death Phoenixes. Just an absolute nightmare of confusing contact points and no space to work with. In general, Wyrd's build instructions are shameful compared to GW or KD.

Probably won't paint them this month, I need to put magnets in their butts and nails in the bases. 😃

Have a great month, all!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

New month, new Malifaux Rat :)
Which means... no pearly white teeth, @Caedrus :D And no sparkling green as well, because this time I would like to learn how to do proper OSL.
The rat will be in the dark, lit by a torch somewhere in the distance.
Wish me luck :)

• Like 3

Hi! 

For me May brings the following models to the table:

* Sonia Criid: 15 SS

* Samael Hopkins: 9 SS

* Purifying flame: 2 SS

* 3 x The Changeling: 12 SS (4 X 3 SS)

(Optional) * Monster hunter: 6 SS

For a total of 38 SS (44 SS if I get to paint the monster hunter)

• Like 3

So this month I'm finishing off my Breachling, Asami's crew and some trees. 

I hit a bit of a brick wall with the Yokai about a year back. So i figure this is a good time to have a fresh look at them and hopefully get the crew finished. Along with Reva, Parker and Zipp, they're one of the last crews i have left to paint before I've completed every master in the game. Thus I'm keen to get them off my "unpainted" shelf!

The trees are just one of a whole pile i started on years ago, but never got around to finishing. So this is my attempt to get it going again and finally have a fully painted tables worth of terrain!

9mctvmb.jpg

• Like 5

Eye(s) first:

pic4720707.jpg

Might've been some plastic debris on my end, but her other eye seemed really weird/incomplete, so I opted to have fun with painting a scar. Still very wip in that regard (and every regard:P). In a rush and no idea on exact colour scheme, so I just slapped some paint on until I was roughly happy:

pic4720708.jpg

Blue & white, yellow accents. She's gonna be pretty blonde. Fighting the urge to paint it pink.

• Like 7

My pledge for May:

pic4720912.jpg

Yan Lo (15), Chiaki(6), Soul Porter(3), single Ashigaru (5) and a Crime Boss(8) for a total of 37ss. Will do rest of the Yan Lo box (Ashigaru x2) if time allows, but I'd rather not hold myself to that.

And here's today's progress on Crime Boss. Did the skin (but not the scar) and blue:

pic4720911.jpg

I'm having what I've called in the past a "Batman problem". Skin and faces are fun to paint. Half covered faces, not so much.

Two evenings to go if I'm going to field this saturday (I'll forgive myself if I get everything except freehand-y bits done by then).

• Like 3

Okay, so I have a couple of questions...

First off, should Fireteam bases be worth anything for the painting challenge? I've not done any for the challenge yet, but I feel like it should at least be worth a few SS to get them properly based and painted. 

Secondly, I measured out the trees I'm doing this month and they came to an area equivalent to 13x 50mm bases. So 65SS according to the challenge. That seems like...quite alot for a single piece of forest terrain. What do others think? Should the terrain values be dropped, or are they fine as they are? To me it feels too high, but I guess the advantage is that it's going to encourage me to actually paint some terrain... ;)

No opinion on terrain values. If there was some material gain to be had here, maybe it'd be a tad high. But as a challenge done for laughs and getting motivated to finish stuff, I don't mind if there's good rewards for terrain. I know in some circles (and I've played with some) terrain tends to get a bit left behind. "Eh it's supposed to be wood, bare mdf is fine!".

• Agree 2

Hello,

for this month I have nothing new to pledge but I'll go after my uncompleted targets from my previous pledge:

1. A lot of basements fron TTcombat Streets of Venice for my gaming table.

2. Alt. Barbaros in the pict

IMG-20190502-175636.jpg

Wish all of you an happy and proficient May.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Rathnard said:

Secondly, I measured out the trees I'm doing this month and they came to an area equivalent to 13x 50mm bases. So 65SS according to the challenge. That seems like...quite alot for a single piece of forest terrain. What do others think? Should the terrain values be dropped, or are they fine as they are? To me it feels too high, but I guess the advantage is that it's going to encourage me to actually paint some terrain... ;)

I had thought the terrain scoring was 5 SS per piece and the minimum size was 50mm, but it does looks like it is based on area equivalent.  Seems a bit off given a whole table is only 100 SS when its area is like 430 bases.

Still, terrain is too variable to really give it a general value, so I'd say go with whatever makes you most productive!

• Agree 1

@Rathnard I think it's fine if terrain is high value as it encourages us to paint it :) 

@muraki Welcome to London! Its worth checking out Darksphere for gaming stuff, the one in Sheppards Bush has tons of stuff, there's also one near Waterloo which is just awesome as its under some railway arches. There's also the Orc's Nest and The Bad Moon Cafe (gaming cafe). If its more model shops you want just hit google maps and you'll find one - we're kinda spoilt :) 

• Agree 1

So for May I pledge muchos TOS. We have our first London tourney on the 15th of June and I'd like to get as much of my company done as possible. Unfortunately May is gonna be pretty busy for me so I don't know how much that will be, but I still have left to do Adeodatos, Fenton, ECB Black Ops, Doomseekers, Stalking Portals, 2x Raving Madmen, Immolated Rhino and 2x (proxy) breachlings... hmm where to start

Ll2wodE.jpg

• Like 9

@Athiko I'd save characters for last. Or at least, I'd like to think I would.

___

Progress on my Crime Boss. If I wasn't planning to practice freehand on her I'd call this done:

pic4722497.jpgpic4722496.jpg

But alas, I will at the very least do something on her flags. May do something on the large areas of white as well, if I get good ideas. They were quite difficult. Painting white and painting in a rush aren't the best of combinations. Tried out a few different ways to paint the front flaps before I was happy. On the model, of course, in case anyone here is trigger happy with paint stripping. Don't be, just paint over it.

As is, she's pretty rough 'n bright. Not bad for a gaming figure I reckon:)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Athiko said:

Unfortunately May is gonna be pretty busy for me so I don't know how much that will be, but I still have left to do Adeodatos, Fenton, ECB Black Ops, Doomseekers, Stalking Portals, 2x Raving Madmen, Immolated Rhino and 2x (proxy) breachlings... hmm where to start

My own approach has been to alternate been painting squads and something else. So for you maybe start with Doomseekers (which are amazing), then Rhino, Stalking Portals, Adeodatos etc?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rathnard said:

My own approach has been to alternate been painting squads and something else. So for you maybe start with Doomseekers (which are amazing), then Rhino, Stalking Portals, Adeodatos etc?

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, I may even mix fire teams of the ECB into that process aswell, seeing as I want to paint them all quite different to each other. 

• Like 1