Kyle

The Hobby Side - TOS Models

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Primer & Paint

You may notice that The Other Side plastic pieces are a little more glossy and smooth than other plastics (like Malifaux). No need to worry! As long as you give it a quick clean and hit it with some primer first, it will hold paint with no issues. You can use any sort of model-appropriate primer and paint to spruce up your models. 

When you say give the models a clean, does this mean in soapy water? Do this for all the models?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Da Git said:

When you say give the models a clean, does this mean in soapy water? Do this for all the models?

Soapy water and sometimes a light brushing with a tooth brush or some other brissled object. With that said, you really should do this for all of your models before paint. A lot of times, the releasing agents they coat the molds with make it difficult for primer to take hold. This is kind of a universal principle of miniature painting, not just for the PVC plastic TOS models are made from.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, envyizm said:

Soapy water and sometimes a light brushing with a tooth brush or some other brissled object. With that said, you really should do this for all of your models before paint. A lot of times, the releasing agents they coat the molds with make it difficult for primer to take hold. This is kind of a universal principle of miniature painting, not just for the PVC plastic TOS models are made from.

This is the most accurate statement. If you don't clean there is a small chance things mess up. I didn't clean any of mine (got too excited) and just hit it with a nice white primer and didn't run into any issues. But I have with other kits before so it's a better safe then sorry sort of thing.

That was a brave post for Wyrd to do, but great advice. 

I've already decided by Abyssinian Calvary needs to be riding something bigger than mere horses. I'll have to look into the heat bending trick for thier legs. 

On a side note we probably need to start a converted models thread.

21 hours ago, HowardLovecraft said:

Would it be possible to get a picture of the parts that make up the cutter dreadnought? I want to repose the arms but I can't work out how they attach.

Do you want close up back and front pictures of the arms as they connect to the torso?

Edit:  Hopefully this works:  

• Like 1

Thanks, what was really after is pics of a fully unassembled one.  I have taken off the front armour and pilot. But it's hard to tell what comes next. It looks like each arm is molded with half a torso.  Although after I took the photo it looks like the arms are glued at the cogs on the bottom

image.jpeg

17 hours ago, HowardLovecraft said:

Thanks, what was really after is pics of a fully unassembled one.  I have taken off the front armour and pilot. But it's hard to tell what comes next. It looks like each arm is molded with half a torso.  Although after I took the photo it looks like the arms are glued at the cogs on the bottom

image.jpeg

Howd you get the glue to give?

By lucky accident I had the left arm of my cutter pop out of its socket.  So can confirm the (model left) arm is glued, not molded.