The Hobby Side - TOS Models

Kyle

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Primer & Paint

You may notice that The Other Side plastic pieces are a little more glossy and smooth than other plastics (like Malifaux). No need to worry! As long as you give it a quick clean and hit it with some primer first, it will hold paint with no issues. You can use any sort of model-appropriate primer and paint to spruce up your models. 

When you say give the models a clean, does this mean in soapy water? Do this for all the models?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Da Git said:

When you say give the models a clean, does this mean in soapy water? Do this for all the models?

Soapy water and sometimes a light brushing with a tooth brush or some other brissled object. With that said, you really should do this for all of your models before paint. A lot of times, the releasing agents they coat the molds with make it difficult for primer to take hold. This is kind of a universal principle of miniature painting, not just for the PVC plastic TOS models are made from.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, envyizm said:

Soapy water and sometimes a light brushing with a tooth brush or some other brissled object. With that said, you really should do this for all of your models before paint. A lot of times, the releasing agents they coat the molds with make it difficult for primer to take hold. This is kind of a universal principle of miniature painting, not just for the PVC plastic TOS models are made from.

This is the most accurate statement. If you don't clean there is a small chance things mess up. I didn't clean any of mine (got too excited) and just hit it with a nice white primer and didn't run into any issues. But I have with other kits before so it's a better safe then sorry sort of thing.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, HowardLovecraft said:

Would it be possible to get a picture of the parts that make up the cutter dreadnought? I want to repose the arms but I can't work out how they attach.

Do you want close up back and front pictures of the arms as they connect to the torso?

Edit:  Hopefully this works:  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HowardLovecraft said:

Thanks, what was really after is pics of a fully unassembled one.  I have taken off the front armour and pilot. But it's hard to tell what comes next. It looks like each arm is molded with half a torso.  Although after I took the photo it looks like the arms are glued at the cogs on the bottom

image.jpeg

Howd you get the glue to give?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, trikk said:

In Abyssinia, the military draft just starts at a very young age.

Short people can shoot, too, and they are harder to hit, their uniforms cost less and you need to invest less in cover for them... all I see are benefits!

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Chou said:

Short people can shoot, too, and they are harder to hit, their uniforms cost less and you need to invest less in cover for them... all I see are benefits!

One of my new year resolutions was to paint an army with halflings.
Didn't think it'd be for ToS!

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

What are some suggestions on transporting TOS crews? It's quite a number of models, and I find myself having a lot of toppling issues even as I'm doing the practice games/demo games. My 1.5mm and 3mm magnets don't seem to be an option here. I'm just curious to see or hear what people are doing. 

Currently, they all sit in a tray that I carry, and that is not a good solution. Likely going to have to keep them all seperate in pluck foam and pull them out model by model, keeping the 120's aside until gametime.

@Paneki21 - I'm looking at magnetic paper sheets or magnetic strip....it looks like the recess under the 30mm bases would allow it...that way I should be able to "stick" all but the largest figures in one crate, leaving just the fireteam bases and titans to pack and carry in foam...at least that's my plan so far😉

• 2 years later...
On 10/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, Kyle said:

Hey Wyrdos!

If you are poking your head in this thread, it means that you’re likely about to start priming and/or basing your models from The Other Side. But things are a little different, and you’ve got questions. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.

It should be noted that anything suggested here is up to your discretion and we are in no way responsible for any damage done to models based on these suggestions.

Hey, there. Looking for a clarifaction on all the advice given here in the initial post.

Is this advice still applicable to the contents of the other side starter set? The starter set plastic is clearly not the same sort of stuff used by wyrd in the malifaux range but at the same time it feels a fair bit harder than all of the original other side models (i'd happily bend a limb on one of the spindly limbs on a Karkinoi while painting and it would just spring back into position, I wouldn't want to be that forceful with say the claws on Ikiryo as i'd worry they might snap).

Is all of the advice given by Kyle the same or anything new we should know, thanks in advance!

On 2/19/2022 at 2:10 PM, TimH said:

Hey, there. Looking for a clarifaction on all the advice given here in the initial post.

Is this advice still applicable to the contents of the other side starter set? The starter set plastic is clearly not the same sort of stuff used by wyrd in the malifaux range but at the same time it feels a fair bit harder than all of the original other side models (i'd happily bend a limb on one of the spindly limbs on a Karkinoi while painting and it would just spring back into position, I wouldn't want to be that forceful with say the claws on Ikiryo as i'd worry they might snap).

Is all of the advice given by Kyle the same or anything new we should know, thanks in advance!

Heya! So from my personal experience with the models here in house, the advice is still the same. In fact, I found it easier to readjust and have it stay with this newer plastic. An example for me is the Gatling Gunners. I dropped it into some hot (but not boiling) water and it adjusted back to where it was all on its own. 

• Thanks 1