If you could only play one Master...

Rathnard

(I'm pretty sure there was a topic about this some time ago, but I sure as hell can't find it so I thought I'd just start a new one anyway!) 

As usual I'm thinking of switching Factions (don't worry, it happens every week) and lately the idea of sticking to a single Master for every game has been appealing to me. So rather than have it rattle around in my own head, I thought invite everyone else inside. ;) So here's my question;

If you were to only use one Master for the next year, regardless of strategy or schemes, who would you pick and why? 

Right now, I'm thinking I'd pick Zoraida. Her playstyle allows her to adapt to whatever crew you throw her into, which gives her alot of flexibility in achieving all of the Strategies and schemes I might encounter. Also she's dual Faction, so if I wanted to change things up and switch Factions, I could do so without "breaking" the rules. 

Guild McMourning, he's probably the best master in the game at adapting to table conditions. He runs well with just about anything, and his original metal might be my favorite mini ever.

Ironsides would be my second choice simply because she's a wonderful character and her rules have great flair. The only thing keeping her out of first place is her number of terrible matchups and static crew composition.

Well considering the fact that, from the release of Misaki up until the release of Shifting Loyalties, she was almost literally the only Master I ever played...
 I can say I'd gladly pick her.  Granted I only played games around 2-5 times a year, due to distance restrictions with the only other person I play with, but if I had a steady group?  I'd still be fine picking Misaki.

Granted half the reason I was so thrilled by her when I bought my first box was the switch to plastics, but also the oriental theme (And ninjas!) is very appealing to me.  And what do I care if I Strat and Schemes don't align with my Master?  It's way more about your crew than your Master for objectives, although the right Master can make a crew.  But picking a solid crew along side any Master is far more important.

If I could only play a single list for the whole time?  I'd be down with that, not sure what I'd go with, but I can tell you from only playing the Thunder box set that it is pretty close to good enough, might mix a few things up, or expand if you're going for 50ss but that box is amazingly good.

I find it kind of funny that so many people are just naming off their favorite masters. I mean, don't get me wrong, if you are going to be limited to one master for a year, you should play what you like, but I think that after you play 15-20 games in a row with Ironsides, things are going to get a little bit... same-ey.

I think that the "correct" answer to the question is one of the masters with extremely wide hiring choices, like Leveticus, Zoraida, or Marcus. That being said, I think that I would end up picking Jack Daw, believe it or not. With the release of the Crossroads Seven, he has a pile of unique, characterful, and powerful models to hire from, in addition to all the stuff the Outcasts have access to by default. The bigger reason I'd pick him, though, is because he has so much going on between all the pushes, obeys, and curses, that whenever I play him, I never feel like I'm getting the most out of him. Maybe after the better part of 100 games, I'd be a little more confident.

If it were me, I'd want to pick someone other than the obvious "strong" Masters - take someone that is generally viewed as weak or mediocre, and with practice, turn them into a force to be reckoned with. Every Master has plenty of variety available, even the ones that can't hire out of Faction - given a year, you can really explore all the weird options that nobody really thinks about, and invent crazy new synergies.

I think I'd pick someone with the opportunity to create interesting interactions with a variety of other models. At the moment, that would probably be McCabe.

• Like 3