You Have Got To Be Kidding Me

The Wyrd model has been Release a book in August. release the models from that book over the next year.

There have been a few times that it has taken longer than a year to release everything, but as a rough guide its pretty close. With them makign everything from  scratch I never expected it to be done in under 2 1/2 years, and that still seems to be about the right timescale.

Its annoying if what you really want is at the back of the schedule, but the model largely seems to work.

They are now at the point that every master will be availible at Gencon, which sounds about right. Sure, not eevrything will eb in a store, but I would expect that every master will be in shops by Christmas.

They chose a route where they spent a lot of the early time producing their Iconic characters, so new characters where at the back end of the release schedule. I believe they have said this was because it is easier to mak a new Justice art and then crew box, than makign oen for figure sstill in playtest (for example Penelope started playtest as a pig, but is n ow a dog, presumable because there were too many possible pig abusing options).

This means factions like Gremlins, which only started with 4 masters existing in the old edition, naturally sittign at the back of the queue for releases. (half the brand new masters are gremlin. Toni, Tara and Shenlong are the other 3, and on a similar timescale to the gremlin boxes, if we remember the rumour about the being problems with the brewmaster set first time round)

I would expect the models from book 3 to not all be release until about june/july 2016, giving us about 1 month in a "completed" form before there are new things.

• Like 1

AGAIN, I am not ragging on wyrd, I am -suggesting- that they should give the model makers time to catch up so the players can actually play the game in it's currently complete format.

I abandoned my somewhat lengthy rant making roughly this same point.  No need for a rant when it is quite succinctly stated here.

And then I ranted in reply to Adran.  Sigh.

The Wyrd model has been Release a book in August. release the models from that book over the next year.

There have been a few times that it has taken longer than a year to release everything, but as a rough guide its pretty close. With them makign everything from  scratch I never expected it to be done in under 2 1/2 years, and that still seems to be about the right timescale.

There are several wave 1 masters just coming out and a few wave 1 models are still not on the schedule--2. 5 years, yes.  One year--not even close.  

I would expect the models from book 3 to not all be release until about june/july 2016, giving us about 1 month in a "completed" form before there are new things.

I expect the same, and it makes me sad.  If Malifaux becomes another Magic where I am forced to buy new models to essentially replace old models that do they same thing but are no longer "Type II" expect all my Malifaux stuff to hit ebay.  Malifaux is strategically rich enough that it can be played in a completed form for years while still providing interesting challenges.  But to maintain a revenue stream either new players or new models are a must.  As delightful as Malifaux is, I suspect the pool of potential players is limited and I am uncertain how much revenue can be realized from the release of special edition models. 

There are several wave 1 masters just coming out and a few wave 1 models are still not on the schedule--2. 5 years, yes.  One year--not even close.

all the wave 1 masters are out. have been for a while. Brewmaster, shenlong, molly, ironsides, collodi, these were all masters in book 2 of 2.0. As stated earlier, austringer is still from book 1, i'll relent to that point. but the book 1 masters have all been out for some time now.

. I would -like- them to finish off 85% of their line before moving on to the next new toy we all drool over.

eh, I'm no math expert and wont pretend otherwise... but considering how much is out now, and how much will be out at Gencon, (and it's a safe bet this stuff will be on store shelves by the end of the year) I'd think we are pretty close to that 85%. After these releases, don't they only have 5 or 6 minion/enforcer models to release per faction? I counted up the 10T stuff that will be missing and I think it's 4 or 5 minions and the generic totem.

EDIT:

I was kind of in an out of the wave 3 beta, but I seem to remember it didn't have any new masters, and didn't really have that many models for each faction. Am I wrong on this? I feel like this one will likely catch them up before next Gencon if they keep the speed up they have had this year.

The fact is that any business needs to keep selling it's product to stay in business.  Wyrd are going to need to keep selling toy soldiers to stay in business.  

I've more faith in Wyrd than any other company that they'll keep selling toys in a way that respects their customers.

• Like 4

People also need to remember that Wyrd doesn't have their own plastic injection molding machines (at least as far as I know), so they have to follow the schedule of their production company at least to some extent.  Additionally, there's a long time between sculpting a model and having it ready for sale since you have to get the mold tooled, chop the model up, create the sprue, get all the package done, and distribute it.  Wyrd is at least partially dependent on other companies for those steps.

Now we can certainly debate whether the order that models are released is appropriate, but it needs to be tempered by the fact that Wyrd is still dependent on other companies on the road between sculpting a model and selling it.

all the wave 1 masters are out. have been for a while. Brewmaster, shenlong, molly, ironsides, collodi, these were all masters in book 2 of 2.0. As stated earlier, austringer is still from book 1, i'll relent to that point. but the book 1 masters have all been out for some time now.

Brewmaster is Book 1 and I'm happy for Wyrd that they've finally gotten him out.

I've been pretty frustrated with the release schedule, but that's in no small part because I picked up the game after the M2E launch wanting little more than the Peacekeeper (also Wave 1) and Austringers.  Johan is also high on my frustration list, particularly paired with Johana sitting out there for so long with no desire to pick up Som'er.  I've never gotten the impression that Wyrd wasn't fully aware of the problem and doing their absolute best to do something about it, but its still frustrating, particularly when there's been releaseless months and most recently, Austringer delays.

It does feel that the weight of Wave 1 is finally being lifted and with GenCon, a huge amount of Wave 2 will be free as well.  Having all the masters out alone is a huge step in being caught up and the lingering options waiting are mostly non-essentially, barring 1 or 2 major items per faction.  I'll start pining for my Guild Hounds shortly, but hopefully we'll see them and the rest of Wave 2 before GenCon next year.

I expect the same, and it makes me sad.  If Malifaux becomes another Magic where I am forced to buy new models to essentially replace old models that do they same thing but are no longer "Type II" expect all my Malifaux stuff to hit ebay.  Malifaux is strategically rich enough that it can be played in a completed form for years while still providing interesting challenges.  But to maintain a revenue stream either new players or new models are a must.  As delightful as Malifaux is, I suspect the pool of potential players is limited and I am uncertain how much revenue can be realized from the release of special edition models. 

That is not likely to happen? You can play perfectly fine with your first edition models still.

The Miniature "game" is one of catch-up and making new product to keep your fans exited about the new toys, and it's one I have been involved in as a consumer for roughly 25 years, and to be frank, I really don't mind it to a degree. It used to be FASA making new paper cut-outs for mechs, (or even some mini's!), then GW, then Clix and then there was a huge break because I personally was not in a position to buy new little men, but I kept my eye out for new games and none really got my attention until Malifaux.

I don't mind the continually expanding range, it is a necessary function of keeping the games we love still being made. I faced it when Jyhad died, and it's rebirth into V:Tes, and it's eventual end years later. I am sure plenty of people here felt the same when games like the trek CCG and the SW CCG died as well.

ALL I want, is for the supply of mini's to not have such a lag time -before- the new toys come into play. This years GenCon looks like it will address that issue in a broad way, and I am really glad for that, and judging by what Nathan said, the wheels are in motion to catch up even more over the course of this year, which is fantastic!!

I just hope that when the new books get released, they don't have to wait 2 years or so before they actually get their little men to play with.  

The fact is that any business needs to keep selling it's product to stay in business.  Wyrd are going to need to keep selling toy soldiers to stay in business.  

I've more faith in Wyrd than any other company that they'll keep selling toys in a way that respects their customers.

I like Wyrd as a company, the only other mini-game company I have a modicum of respect for is CB but they have intermittent communication and wonky rules FAQs at times. They also CB seem to be pandering to the Yanks with USAriadna I'm wondering if they've jumped the shark...

I just wish Malifaux was more of a thing and more organised where I am. Thankfully due to no players and *life* the forced break I took from M2E means that all the stuff that was metal that I wanted a few months ago is now plastic! :D 

They also CB seem to be pandering to the Yanks with USAriadna I'm wondering if they've jumped the shark...

LOL. Define irony: Taking a shot about 'pandering to the Yanks' while using a line from one of the most American TV shows....like ever.

Bravo sir. Bravo.

• Like 4

I think people underestimate how scary a "Miniature Wargaming Tycoon" game would be.  "You've got X models for this release that need to get through concept art, sculpting, revisions, production and distribution; but only enough money to do Y% of them at a time.  Naturally, your customers want all of them at once."    :o

• Like 1