Focus and you

-So shooting isn't at a negative

-To get cheatable damage (almost only do it when I can guarantee a neutral flip, i.e. either know the best my opponent can do is tie on 2 focus or almost match on one focus) with something with a big difference on damage levels)

-Occasionally push odds in my favor when I don't have the cards and either I'm trying to drain my opponent's hand or theirs is gone too

...that's about it. Otherwise, I'll usually spam attacks to try to get something through.

• Like 1

- If you are on a single  :-fate flip, focus so you can cheat the result.

- if moderate damage is more than double weak damage it is often a good idea to focus. For example 1/3/4 damage.

- if you need to hit a suit that you don't have in hand and can't use soul stones.

and all the instances SpiralingCadaver mentioned.

Why ask experienced players when you can just use the power of mathematics?

Seriously though, I probably really should do some calculations to get a decent answer to this question. In reality I do pretty much what SpiralingCadaver does, but I'm fairly sure that is not the optimal strategy in all situations.

• Like 1

...that's about it. Otherwise, I'll usually spam attacks to try to get something through.

- if you need to hit a suit that you don't have in hand and can't use soul stones.

Those are my main motivations for using Focus. Some sniper type models can also shot farther with focus.

There's also the defenses of the defender to take into account. For example if missing or hitting the Defender is somehow detrimental (like against Black Blood, Barbaros, Squeeling Gremlins, or Mei Feng, for example) or, perhaps even more commonly, if they have, e.g., Armor +1 and your damage track is 2/4/5 or something.

If you aren't willing to cheat for whatever reason, OTOH, Focusing often becomes less attractive.

• Like 1

And there was a good article about focus and defensive stance in one of the Chronicles, a few back (maybe 15? I'm just guessing).

Personally, I mostly find myself using it to overcome a negative flip: targeting Yin, for instance, or shooting at a model in cover. Which is to say, I don't think I think of it often enough.

-To get cheatable damage (almost only do it when I can guarantee a neutral flip, i.e. either know the best my opponent can do is tie on 2 focus or almost match on one focus) with something with a big difference on damage levels)

-Occasionally push odds in my favor when I don't have the cards and either I'm trying to drain my opponent's hand or theirs is gone too

Pretty much this.

I like it on the CCK (Copycat Killer) since every shot he takes he is pushed back 4" at the end so its likely that he'll end up 8" away from Seamus at the end of his activation (which can be problematic if he used Teleport to get him to Seamus) He is also Sh4 so more cards the better - any chance to get 4/5/7 from a 3ss model!

I like it on the CCK (Copycat Killer) since every shot he takes he is pushed back 4" at the end so its likely that he'll end up 8" away from Seamus at the end of his activation (which can be problematic if he used Teleport to get him to Seamus) He is also Sh4 so more cards the better - any chance to get 4/5/7 from a 3ss model!

That's why you place him in base contact in front of Seamus. Can't be pushed back then. :D or next to terrain.

Anyway, lets not derail this thread further.

You're talking to the wrong guy there.

I also tend to focus with ranged models to overcome cover, or with models with blasts. Or when I'm Bewitched by Zoraida. Which happens a lot recently.

Just really seconding the above use.

There are 3 reasons to focus first

Firstly to get cheatable attack flips. This is normally to either counter cover, or a models inbuilt negative (Zoraida, Yin and Lucius)

Secondly when a cheatable damage flip is better than 2 weak damage flips. So either a model with  good moderate/severe damage, or a model with Blasts.

This is probably the hardest decison to make. Focusing to make the most of your damage is typically going to be card intensive. You typically need to beat your opponent by at least 1 to still make it a chatable flip, and they will typically need to spnd less resource to keep themselves safe (Their 1 high card in hand can potentially stop 2 ap from your model).

You will also want to have the good card in your hand to cheat the damage.

And if you are looking at blast damage you are probably doing more total damage, but spread over a large number of models. This can be handy in the long term, but malifaux typically models are fully effective until they lose all wounds, so concentrating damage is often a safer bet.

Thirdly, on Snipers who gain a bonus when using Focus.

Thanks for all the replies. Most of them sound like solid advice. my main reason for starting this is that Focus seemed like a subtle but really powerful ability that could be a deciding factor if used correctly, and I thought it could use some discussion. if anyone has in game examples of when focus or even defensive stance was really good and they want to share I would love to hear them.

Thanks

-Proxy

Fishing for suits with a focus isn't that great if it's a (1) action, since taking the same action twice would have the same effect (you're still flipping two cards, after all). And if you get the needed suit on that first flip, well, you just saved yourself an AP. For (2) or (0) actions with a suit requirement though, yeah, it's definitely worth considering. 

Other than that, I wrote an article on Focus & Defensive in Wyrd Chronicles 14, so you could always check that out too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found that I nearly never used focus until I played with a Lucius crew. Once you start using focus for cheap with a lot of things that play nicely with him, it is easier to justify using it when it's not so cheap/easy in other crews.

I still don't focus as often as I should though. I think it's that optimism that I will get good enough cards even on a negative. Then math smacks me in the face, demonstrates statistical chance, and makes me regret not focusing to avoid a negative twist on the initial flip.