2022 Monthly Painting Challenge February

Gheist

7 hours ago, Maciej said:

Update on my river project. I started with a pond as a test piece, and it turns out I dont need much resin depth, because dark paint below it can simulate depth in satisfactory way. Just need to go black in the centre. Also I bought HDF board which seems more resistant to distortions than plywood, at least so far. Will add some leafs on the surface and maybe some ripples, but overall I think it's safe to proceed to river. 

IMG_20220217_151341.thumb.jpg.a332d57585ecab944f3a0b423328b0fe.jpg

IMG_20220217_195731.thumb.jpg.bde808e899a0e9750a9945258c3fcdd8.jpg

IMG_20220219_093933.thumb.jpg.9ccfa27c8f0fe99cbddc481cfb1fee95.jpg

Very nice👏

I did something similar with MDF when working with a gw forest that has trees that look like they belong in a swamp. The tufts partially in the water is a nice touch. (Wish I'd thought of that...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Maciej said:

Update on my river project. I started with a pond as a test piece, and it turns out I dont need much resin depth, because dark paint below it can simulate depth in satisfactory way. Just need to go black in the centre. Also I bought HDF board which seems more resistant to distortions than plywood, at least so far. Will add some leafs on the surface and maybe some ripples, but overall I think it's safe to proceed to river.

IMG_20220219_093933.thumb.jpg.9ccfa27c8f0fe99cbddc481cfb1fee95.jpg

This is looking great! I have something similar to post as part of my pledge this month but they aren't all finished yet (tide pool markers for my Hordes/terrain pieces for faux). I've not actually done proper hobby water effect before and looking at the difference between the depth you've accomplished and how flat mine are looking i may need to pick some up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:15 PM, JordiFort said:

Hello everyone!

Wow I didn't go back in and I see that there is a lot of movement here;) that's very good!

Well, it's been a very busy February but luckily I've been taking time and I already have the models that I proposed for this month. Here he left the images:

With The Damned I wanted to do something different with colors that I wasn't familiar with and I'm still not sure if I found a good result. Let's say that I am in an experimentation phase in which I am looking to mix several colors, in this case on the skin, to generate a more psychedelic effect according to what the model asks for, I don't know if it has been achieved but in any case I think that It is good to face these challenges and I think that in the future I can improve it.

For Grave Goo... what to say about this model, I am amazed how such a simple painted miniature can be so striking. I have tried to do something more than a simple dry brush and work mainly on the head. It is also a model that was difficult for me to look at to do something different than what the illustration of the cart proposes. The truth is that I tend to follow the schemes that Wyrd proposes in his models, since I already find them fascinating XDXD.

And finally a Moorwraith, my favorite. These miniatures are incredible, how could they be so original in their concept and illustration? each one so different from the other and with its particular history... I'm still surprised by it.

THE DAMNED7.jpg

GRAVE GOO2.jpg

MOORWRAITH_2.jpg

Love the colours in these (the moorwraith is also my favorite)! So vibrant and saturated I really do get the psychedelic vibe from them.

The Damned might be a bit over the top for my taste, but still very well executed!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diddick said:

Hi there! The Bloody valentine competition is over, so i can share this month minis!

I painted the gakis, and used one of them for the competition as a single miniature i wanted to keep the vibe of the whole band, and added some extra gore for the contest theme

here's the entry:
z32CnN8.jpeg

And the family pic:
DV0BaV6.jpeg

I also presented a diorama, which looking back i kinda botched when adding the blood and with the lighting of the pic 🥲

The final diorama
DFLhXdG.jpg

And a WiP:

nAIWH1s.jpg

Gonna update the sheet with my 12ss for the gakis!   And I'll just have the seishins left to finish my urami minis!! 👏

You had my Singles Vote, i liked the simplicity. One day one of you guys must teach me how to make the stringy gore stuff

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Finishing up the pledge for Feb.

I've got 4 tidepool marker terrain pieces (I'm calling these finished but later in the year I may attempt to use actual water effects at which point they may get a slight touch up).

DSC01901.thumb.JPG.98c8544654a9847bc44ca8a3276ef5b8.JPG

And the frenzy

DSC01898.thumb.JPG.3186cae100f17bb901300f80a0200fc2.JPGDSC01897.thumb.JPG.9a8fa5cbec420a0ac1a83aba0a0014b7.JPG

Had less time than I expected in the second half of the month so no Yarazi this month. Just 4 terrain pieces, Frenzy, Karkinoi, egg markers and whelks. Have used a different camera for these most recent shots, think the quality has come out much better.

DSC01902.thumb.JPG.7fd542a188c24f2a576b58346e6542dc.JPG

Also a group shot of the boys so far. The flash on this one didnt come out oo good but I took a few shots and this was the best one. (Camera 2 is good for close ups, not so good for wide shots it seems).

• Like 4

I will Post my pictures 1 Day before Deadline. Haven't painted as much as i wanted but things got rough with the diversity of my hobby life.

Jm4A3OE.jpgsVKcn58.jpgv6y99Lw.jpgrBRdJeC.jpgtxq98e1.jpgUbzeKAu.jpg

So those are my Additional Soulstones this month, with Desper and Jessie i am at 63 and because i think it gives more of an impression of what my painting is about i'll give you the whole Crew, which i am fairly happy about

kVmfF1f.jpg

so onwards! into March :)

• Like 9

Caedrus, reporting in!

Whew! I made it! I finished my February pledge, meeting the pledge with 23SS, and I even uploaded it with *checks watch* almost an hour to spare!

So, this month, I made a start on my Wildfires. My idea here was underpainting with contrast paints, then basic highlights, then airbrush, then final highlights. Did it work? Not perfectly, but I learned a lot. Here's 8SS of Alt Firestarter!

84DN1lt.jpg

Obviously, this lady has had a head swap with a Miss Anne Thrope. I was pleased with the OSL, and I am OK with the NMM copper on her back. The skin tones could do with a bit of smoothing out. Overall, happy.

Next up, 15SS of Kaeris!

Lyr5TGI.jpg

I put a little fluorescent orange glazing into this one. I think it worked well. The copper wings were ... pretty good. The contrast should have been increased a little, bit it's hard to put in contrast when it's a clearly flat surface. I was please with the OSL on the NMM on her right wing, though. The OSL on the face and torso is strong, but I wanted it like that, to express some really intense flames.

So, what else did I get up to? Honestly, I ran out of time, and so I didn't get to finish these folks. They are tantalisingly close, though, so these will obviously be part of my March pledge.

vymfvRP.jpg

So, two simple miniatures, five more to go next month. Any thoughts, critiques or feedback? It's very welcome!

I'll be putting my thoughts in about paint, as well, shortly.

Stay well, everyone!

Caedrus.

• Like 8