Monthly painting challenge - February

Franchute

1 hour ago, RustAndTheCity said:

I was noting the base because they are similar to the ones on my Gremlins!

Yes, and you did a fantastic job with your Gremlins.

An interesting point to discuss about, as regard Scibor face bases, concerns the best way to paint them. Guess that the spots where the stone is broken, as the nose base, should be clearer than the stone surface.  Indeed, I went after a lazy option, using a darker wash and a bit of highlight with my base.

• Like 1

Well, once I sat down to take the photo of the first model, I figured I may as well stay there and finish up my War Pig.  Egad, gremlins are tiny!  Don't know how people painting them all the time stay sane.  Here is the second of my two pledged beasts for February.  

Corrupted hound (3 SS) + War pig (9 SS) = 12 SS 

Just the minimum, but I did also paint up a gang of 10 Necromunda models so couldn't over-do it.

large.2018Feb_beasts_2done.jpg.80c305488f1eeabe5ce8d33f0bda84b1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

@prof_bycid I've played many games of Necromunda over the past couple of decades. I'd love to see your new gang!

Sure thing, H4ml3t !  When I get a chance I will post a photo on my album and let you know.  Don't want to fill the forums with non-Wyrd stuff.  It is a gang of ten House Goliath gentlemen (and I use that term loosely).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

and was able to resize

Just in case folks are interested in options for resizing.  I usually get my photos for posts down to about 150 kb fairly quickly.  I use GIMP, which is free and open source.  Works like a non-proprietary Photoshop.  If interested:

Fire up GIMP and open the photo.

Image | Scale Image: to reduce the size and dpi: you won't see a difference with most monitors anyway.  I scale to 200 by 200 dpi, and 1600 x 1200 size (dpi is really meaningless, it's the number of pixels in the image that matters).

Tools | Transformation | Crop: to crop to the mini.  

File | Export As: to save as a jpg or other format.  Just using 'save as' will save it as a GIMP file with all the associated settings.  I export a jpg and then close down without saving the gimp.

Hope this helps a few people.  Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2018 at 8:27 AM, Franchute said:

It is even 3/4 of the month :)

@Kogan Style is your rat queen finished? If so, can you please tell us how many soulstones you have accomplished so far?

By the way any news from @Icarius, @prof_bycid, @misterfinn, @MunkyMuddFace@Monkeyfist@Scatterbrain, @tjgreenway, @iamfanboy, @Stonewall78, @Phinn, @Hound Grey, @Chou, @wizuriel, @PetitDalek, @Boomstick, @Rikk?

Yep! I have the three students complete - so I will at least make my numbers for the month. Pictures to come this evening.

Draugr is built and primed. I plan to paint him up tonight to finish all pledged models.

• Like 1

@bedjy very nice work. I really like the bottles especially. Very realistic looking glass!

Thanks for the kind words on the skeeter. It took me ages to paint!

On 25/02/2018 at 3:32 PM, Purple Mist said:

Great model again! Congrats.

This last one looks so fragile. Do you dare deploy it (and the other ones) on the play table or it's going to be loked up in a showcase?

Being hard plastic, the legs seem surprisingly durable. I was worried I'd break one while painting it. I've got the bases magnetized for transport. The skeeter was in my crew in a small henchman hardcore event last night (McTavish, Francois, skeeter and a bayou gremlin).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RustAndTheCity said:

Being hard plastic, the legs seem surprisingly durable. I was worried I'd break one while painting it. I've got the bases magnetized for transport.

Wyrd plastic is exellent but accidents can happen. Last month I broke a leg of the Scorpious while I was drybrushing it. On the other hand I already received some components badly broken from the sellers. Wydr has a very good support service but I have to wait a couple of months each time to get replacement components.

Pledge complete with a day to spare! 

The Iron Zombies - Student of Viscera (7SS), Student of Steel (6SS), and Student of Sinew (6SS).
small.5a95646a2c546_IronZombies.JPG.8312

Draugr - the beardy LE model! (8 SS)
small.Draugr.PNG.8a8d054d56067d6e44d1d26

That's a total of 27 SS of models painted for the month. 

What's on the docket for March? Probably more dead things - Doxies and Autopsies. Horror Molly has so many hiring and summoning options!

• Like 7

@Franchute

Hi guys! This month haven't been nice to me and I haven't had anytime for the hobby, Barytone Lola is still half finished and Mercury is primed, but that is as far as I got. I'm moving to a new apartment during next month but I hope I will be able to spend at least enogh time to finish what I've started. Guess this counts as a mulligan and hope to be more active soon! 

What I've seen you guys have been excellent this month and this thread is full of amazing work! Keep up the good work! 

• Like 3