Monthly painting challenge - February

Franchute

Hello,

Here is the thread for February of the onthly painting challenge. Please post your pictures, plans and discussions for the month here.

I'm also copy-pasting a reminder of the rules and the principles of the challenge:

The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. You pledge an amount of soulstones that you will be painting each month of the year 2018. To enroll simply let me know in the enrollment thread which category you want to belong to and I'll consider you:

• Minion (from 1 to 5 soulstones)
  • Enforcer (from 6 to 10 soulstones)
  • Henchman (from 11 to 15 soulstones)
  • Master  (from 16 to 30 soulstones)
  • Emissary (More than 30 soulstones)

The thread to enroll is the following:

I'll use the following spreadsheet to keep track of each one's situation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing

Some specific rules:

• At the START of the month: post a photo of your unpainted minis and any plans for them you have.  In the MIDDLE of the month: post work in progress photos if you want, or just banter about ideas.  At the END of the month: post your finished models and the Soul Stone Cost painted, and I will get this on the tracking sheet.  Post this by the end of the month.  And include the total soul stones painted. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. 
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will already been used; if you start in March, two mulligans will already been used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • NEW: we start considering terrain this year. Terrain must be painted and is treated like zero cost models (i.e. count for 5 soulstones). The piece of terrain must be significantly largert than a 50mm marker.

I'm not sure if previously started models will count towards the challenge, but I'll put them up here as well.  Also, many models that aren't started yet.  I don't know what I'll get done out of this group, but we'll see!

IMG-1550.JPG

Edited by Treemonkey
removed partially painted picture..didn't paint any of them more this month.
  • Like 3

Thinking to my February Pledge I have a small question: is it possible to include into a pledge a NON-Wyrd miniature painted and presented as a Malifaux model?

I have to point out that I mind not to a modded miny but to a figure from a different producer that suggested me an alternative Malifaux Master.

Thanks in advance for clarifications.

8 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

Thinking to my February Pledge I have a small question: is it possible to include into a pledge a NON-Wyrd miniature painted and presented as a Malifaux model?

We accepted @Viruk's bolt-thingy hounds (though they are tournament legal I'd say). I'm not sure @Kogan Style's Candy was an official mini (Do you confirm @Kogan Style?). Based on these observations, I'd say it would be OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings All,

My pledge for this month will be a 50% increase! Behold the 36 parts that make up the 3SS Steam Trunk!

I bought some eBay salvage-miniatures of a Von-Schill crew, so I need a test-bed for a colour scheme. That's if I get any painting done. Just gluing this thing together is going to take some time. Have fun painting, all!

Caedrus.

Steam Trunk.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my pledge for the month: Dismounted Rollins Black, Mounted Rollins Black, Iggy Pup, and Cherri Bomb

Question: I know that masters count as 15SS, but do I have to complete both the mounted and dismounted versions of Rollins to get that 15SS? I'm planning to paint them both, but I'm wondering if there might be some stipulation as that's two separate models to paint. (PS - I'm not winging about this, I'm fine taking 15SS for painting them both, I'm just curious :) )

So for now I will assume this is 15SS for Mounted/Dismounted Rollins, 4SS for Iggy Pup, and 9SS for Cherri Bomb for a total of 28SS.  

PS - @Hound Grey, I totally feel your assembly exhaustion now....

• Like 2

I have had this guy half painted for several months, so I decided to quickly finished it so that I would not be ashamed anymore by how long it took me to paint a peon. The electrical creation for an additional 4 soulstones, putting me at 26:

IMG_5048_zpszvibhl6a.jpg

I'm already seeing imperfections from the picture. I might touch it again later.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Franchute said:

I have had this guy half painted for several months, so I decided to quickly finished it so that I would not be ashamed anymore by how long it took me to paint a peon. The electrical creation for an additional 4 soulstones, putting me at 26

Oups, it seems I posted that one in the wrong thread. Anyway, for February, I'm planing to paint a steamfitter:

20180201_000154_zps0hzy3d1p.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Franchute said:

We accepted @Viruk's bolt-thingy hounds (though they are tournament legal I'd say). I'm not sure @Kogan Style's Candy was an official mini (Do you confirm @Kogan Style?). Based on these observations, I'd say it would be OK.

Candy is indeed an official Wyrd model; I'm showing my age with 'Faux now! She is Candy the Petulant youth that came with Pandora's Avatar of Insanity  from first edition. You'll see her listed as an official proxy on pg.3 of Gaining Grounds. 

This month I'm still putting off the rats :lol: I'll be working on the 2 Rat Kings here (16ss) and see what else takes my fancy. Yes one of the Rat King's has Catelin Abrnathy's face attached. I wanted more creepiness in my crew!

WcrCn6y.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi there! These are my models for February:

* Big Jake: 5 SS

* Three Hollow Waives, their cost is 0 each. As @Amdor reminded me and according to @Franchute they are 5SS each, so 15SS. 

* The Midnight Stalker: 8 SS 

* Hodgepodge effigy: 4 SS

* Ronin: 6 SS

* Scion of the void: 8 SS

At this moment the cost is 46 SS, once I know the cost for the Hollow waives I'll update it. 

IMG_20180116_190733.jpg
IMG_20180116_190808.jpg

• Like 3

This month I'm going to get these roofs finished assembly by adding rows and rows of cardboard tiles and then painted. They won't count for soul stones as they aren't the complete terrain pieces but should motivate me to finish the main buildings as well soonish. Model wise I can't decide whether to paint my Union miners or to get some of my Rasputina crew underway. Will post pics of whatever I choose to do once they are chosen but will try and get 16 or more soul stones worth painted.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a tournament the 11th where I will be playing neverborn. I still have to finish lilitu, who shouldn't take a lot of time. And I'm building and converting the hooded rider, which will take a lot more time and I'm really hoping I get him finished before the tourney. I have some more neverborn stuff which I'm not planning on playing, but I might make it a neverborn month and get everything finished that I have still sitting on my paint table.

large.IMG_20180128_124827.jpg.ae3f60d96ce38407f3a76ffdc27e8103.jpglarge.IMG_20180127_224728.jpg.22756918d40640bae8514c3f1d6f3803.jpg

• Like 3