2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - Rules, Soulstones, and Feedback

Shock & Awe

Welcome to the 2022 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

Greetings, fellow Wyrdos. My name is Shock & Awe, and @Gheist and I will be co-hosting this year’s painting challenge. This might be the first time we have had co-hosting going on, but it honestly doesn’t really change much for you, the ever-stalwart slatherer of gray plastic.

Additionally, as @Caedrus so aptly put it: “While we will be proudly hosting the Challenge this year, this belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can do better to improve the Challenge, please let us know!”

What follows is a direct copy of last year’s rundown – as the saying goes, “Someone else already said it better” so I am just going to leave it as is unless anyone has any suggestions to better things for the coming year.

However! Two things are changing:

1.  You will make your initial pledge for the year on this PLEDGE FORM
  2.  Each month when you complete your models, report your SS totals on this SS REPORTING FORM!
    1. This means that you do not need to @ me or Gheist. I will attach the form on the first post of each month. Go back to the form and just fill it in. This will make updating the spreadsheet MUCH faster.

That said, let’s get to the rundown.

The 2022 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

• Having fun painting!
  • Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  • Being part of a great, friendly community.
  • Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  • Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The Spirit of the Rules:

This Challenge is about motivation and fun. So, the Challenge has been changed, just a little bit, to make it a little more accessible to painters starting later in the year, painters with busy lives, and painters relatively new to the wonderful World of Wyrd!

The Rules:

The challenge starts on January 1st, 2022.

Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month (or one that has been on your Shelf of Shame since 2013, really).

A miniature is considered pledged when you have uploaded a photo (preferably lots of them!) to the Challenge Thread for each month, declared your final SS count for the month, and submitted your SS totals on this FORM.

You no longer need to @ the hosts! Just go back to the first post of each month, find the FORM, and submit your totals. Try to wait to submit totals until you are FINISHED for the month! It is best if you submit the form once a month.

That said, we all sometimes THINK we’re done and get an extra model in here and there. It’s fine if that happens, it will just make reading your stats a bit harder on the sheet 😊

If you’re not sure of the points value (scenery tends to be the most challenging one), then your estimate is all we need. If it’s good enough for you, it’s good enough for us!

The Pledge Levels:

The points system from previous years will still be used, but with the addition of a new rank: the Totem!

A Totem represents those painters who, for whatever reason, may not be inclined to maintain an ongoing painting quota, but who still want to be part of the Challenge! To be a Totem, all you need to do is to average a contribution of once per month. A contribution is quite simply an update on a painting project, a piece of painting advice, or feedback on a fellow painter.

We are hopeful that this will encourage plenty of folks to take part!

The pledge categories are the following:

• Tyrant: you paint at least 21 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Totem: you have maintained an average of a contribution per month for 2021.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but

• Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Other Wyrd miniatures:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy.

Terrain

• Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

Meeting your pledge

Life gets busy. We get that. We’d all like to think the Challenge rewards those who keep their brushes damp. If you don’t meet your pledge, the process goes:

1. Mulligan; then
  2. Buy Back; then
  3. You’re outta there!

The first time that you do not make your pledge for the month, then you have used your mulligan for the year.

The second time that you do not make your pledge for the month, will need to make it up the following month, by meeting the pledge for the current month, and the month you missed. If you do that, then you’re considered to have met the pledge for the missed month.

The third time that you do not make your pledge for the month, then you are out of the Challenge, but you are always, always welcome to give feedback and support to your fellow painters!

If you submit miniature(s), but don’t meet your pledge, then you will be moved to a pledge level that keeps you in the Challenge.

The FAQ:

Where do I actually pledge?

On this PLEDGE FORM.

The link to the pledge sheet will be in the post that follows.

You should also introduce yourself, tell everyone your pledge level, and perhaps your painting plans for the year in this thread. Follow it as well! 

What happens if I start in February or March?

If you join in February or March, you still need to fill out the PLEDGE FORM, but introduce yourself in the month you start.

You could use your mulligan / buy-back and still be in the Challenge.

What happens if I start after March?

If you later in the year, then you should introduce yourself in the thread for the month in which you start, and fill out the PLEDGE FORM.

In this circumstance, you won’t be considered to have met the 2021 Challenge, BUT you can have considered yourself as having maintained a number of month’s worth of a pledge level, so you can launch into 2023 with some momentum!

What is a painted miniature?

A model is considered painted if it is:

• Based (even glued onto a black base counts); and
  • Tournament legal.

That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Can I do it all in one go?

No. While it would be fantastic for you to paint 252 miniatures in January, and then declare yourself as complete for the year, the intent is for you to paint, relax, and enjoy. It’s a long-distance event, not a sprint.

Can I show you my non-Wyrd miniatures?

Sure, every miniature is welcome! They don’t have a Soulstone value for completing the Challenge, but we are a richer community for seeing how your painting passions have inspired you!

Where are the points values available for me to see?

The spreadsheet for the monthly totals is HERE and will be posted in the link that follows as well.

That’s all we can think of for the 2022 Challenge.

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback – let it rip!

Our absolute best for 2022.

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Shock & Awe / Gheist

Edited by Shock & Awe
Visual Stuff
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm in.

I think I'm finishing 1 model away from making the 2021 Minion Pledge I pledged, though I think I still have my mulligan, so...

I managed several tyrant months and several months where I was probably only at a minion, maybe enforcer, level, so I think I'll challenge myself this year with an Enforcer Pledge (and drop to Minion if stuff happens).  I still have a few Oni crew models to finish, but otherwise I'm looking at rounding out my Ten Thunders, or finishing up some Raspy models from the early 2000s, or ... I'm not really going to restrict myself to specific models yet, since that's not my style.

• Like 1

I saw this challenge in (I want to say) October and I was really interested. I have a hefty backlog of Faux and Other Side so will be throwing my hat in at a tyrant level. Aiming to keep up the painting train for a whole year and not fall off of the wagon.

• Like 3

Hi all, been doing this challenge for two years and am looking forward to what 2022 brings to my paint table. Other than Wyrd miniatures, I paint minis for a bunch of games; I'll share a photo or two of those. 

I am, once again, pledging at the Tyrant level, as it is the only way to clear my shelf of shame. Starting the year with some or all of this:

MNPfvNL.jpg

You can guess what's in the box.

Happy painting, all!

I pulled the trigger and pledged at tyrant level.  I also have a mountain of unpainted plastic on my shelf of shame.  First time trying this, hoping it helps keep me motivated to paint more than I have been.  I'm currently adding terrain to my queue as my wife bought me a 3d printer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 1:54 AM, Shock & Awe said:

Welcome to the 2022 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

Greetings, fellow Wyrdos. My name is Shock & Awe, and @Gheist and I will be co-hosting this year’s painting challenge. This might be the first time we have had co-hosting going on, but it honestly doesn’t really change much for you, the ever-stalwart slatherer of gray plastic.

Additionally, as @Caedrus so aptly put it: “While we will be proudly hosting the Challenge this year, this belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can do better to improve the Challenge, please let us know!”

What follows is a direct copy of last year’s rundown – as the saying goes, “Someone else already said it better” so I am just going to leave it as is unless anyone has any suggestions to better things for the coming year.

However! Two things are changing:

1.  You will make your initial pledge for the year on this PLEDGE FORM
  2.  Each month when you complete your models, report your SS totals on this SS REPORTING FORM!
    1. This means that you do not need to @ me or Gheist. I will attach the form on the first post of each month. Go back to the form and just fill it in. This will make updating the spreadsheet MUCH faster.

That said, let’s get to the rundown.

The 2022 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

• Having fun painting!
  • Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  • Being part of a great, friendly community.
  • Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  • Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The Spirit of the Rules:

This Challenge is about motivation and fun. So, the Challenge has been changed, just a little bit, to make it a little more accessible to painters starting later in the year, painters with busy lives, and painters relatively new to the wonderful World of Wyrd!

The Rules:

The challenge starts on January 1st, 2022.

Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month (or one that has been on your Shelf of Shame since 2013, really).

A miniature is considered pledged when you have uploaded a photo (preferably lots of them!) to the Challenge Thread for each month, declared your final SS count for the month, and submitted your SS totals on this FORM.

You no longer need to @ the hosts! Just go back to the first post of each month, find the FORM, and submit your totals. Try to wait to submit totals until you are FINISHED for the month! It is best if you submit the form once a month.

That said, we all sometimes THINK we’re done and get an extra model in here and there. It’s fine if that happens, it will just make reading your stats a bit harder on the sheet 😊

If you’re not sure of the points value (scenery tends to be the most challenging one), then your estimate is all we need. If it’s good enough for you, it’s good enough for us!

The Pledge Levels:

The points system from previous years will still be used, but with the addition of a new rank: the Totem!

A Totem represents those painters who, for whatever reason, may not be inclined to maintain an ongoing painting quota, but who still want to be part of the Challenge! To be a Totem, all you need to do is to average a contribution of once per month. A contribution is quite simply an update on a painting project, a piece of painting advice, or feedback on a fellow painter.

We are hopeful that this will encourage plenty of folks to take part!

The pledge categories are the following:

• Tyrant: you paint at least 21 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Totem: you have maintained an average of a contribution per month for 2021.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but

• Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Other Wyrd miniatures:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy.

Terrain

• Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

Meeting your pledge

Life gets busy. We get that. We’d all like to think the Challenge rewards those who keep their brushes damp. If you don’t meet your pledge, the process goes:

1. Mulligan; then
  2. Buy Back; then
  3. You’re outta there!

The first time that you do not make your pledge for the month, then you have used your mulligan for the year.

The second time that you do not make your pledge for the month, will need to make it up the following month, by meeting the pledge for the current month, and the month you missed. If you do that, then you’re considered to have met the pledge for the missed month.

The third time that you do not make your pledge for the month, then you are out of the Challenge, but you are always, always welcome to give feedback and support to your fellow painters!

If you submit miniature(s), but don’t meet your pledge, then you will be moved to a pledge level that keeps you in the Challenge.

The FAQ:

Where do I actually pledge?

On this PLEDGE FORM.

The link to the pledge sheet will be in the post that follows.

You should also introduce yourself, tell everyone your pledge level, and perhaps your painting plans for the year in this thread. Follow it as well! 

What happens if I start in February or March?

If you join in February or March, you still need to fill out the PLEDGE FORM, but introduce yourself in the month you start.

You could use your mulligan / buy-back and still be in the Challenge.

What happens if I start after March?

If you later in the year, then you should introduce yourself in the thread for the month in which you start, and fill out the PLEDGE FORM.

In this circumstance, you won’t be considered to have met the 2021 Challenge, BUT you can have considered yourself as having maintained a number of month’s worth of a pledge level, so you can launch into 2023 with some momentum!

What is a painted miniature?

A model is considered painted if it is:

• Based (even glued onto a black base counts); and
  • Tournament legal.

That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Can I do it all in one go?

No. While it would be fantastic for you to paint 252 miniatures in January, and then declare yourself as complete for the year, the intent is for you to paint, relax, and enjoy. It’s a long-distance event, not a sprint.

Can I show you my non-Wyrd miniatures?

Sure, every miniature is welcome! They don’t have a Soulstone value for completing the Challenge, but we are a richer community for seeing how your painting passions have inspired you!

Where are the points values available for me to see?

The spreadsheet for the monthly totals is HERE and will be posted in the link that follows as well.

That’s all we can think of for the 2022 Challenge.

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback – let it rip!

Our absolute best for 2022.

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Shock & Awe / Gheist

I'm late to the party, but this is cool, thanks for doing it!

• Like 1