Transmortis student box

While browsing the pre-order section on wayland games, I saw that they list boxes for the transmortis student & valedictorian.

There's Valedictorian + 3 Students of steel, and there's 2 Students of Viscera + 3 Students of sinew (but for some reason the back of the box says student of steel, probably a typo that will be fixed on the actual boxes)

HonorRoll.thumb.png.e90d7ebd68f657709da6b76c18cbdcb6.pngStudyGroup.thumb.png.d10b3b927300c9bb5e87c922ea6ca621.png

It shows them as to be released end of august, which seems unreliable since Wyrd's upcoming page does not show these boxes to be released in August.

But at the very least now we now how the students will be packaged (I don't think wayland games have made up the boxes front & back art ^^)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Sweet find! 

At least they should be soonish. Maybe even available at Gencon. 

Going to be re-buying 4 models, which is a bummer, but oh well. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up about Gen Con release. Previously, Wyrd had said that they wouldn't be selling models ahead of "street date", as it negatively impacts the local gaming stores. Limited edition models, yes. Models that haven't been released yet, no.

But, to play devil's advocate, maybe there was a "global pandemic" clause where they could sell them ahead of schedule.

1 minute ago, Nathan Caroland said:

We stated we would only do it for Gencon. There is a big post around here that someone can find if they want. :)

Otherwise, no, Easter, Black Friday, no early sales of anything. Gencon has, and always will.

That is good news! Sorry I got it wrong, sir.

Gonna say, disappointed with the splits.

Not that interested in buying 9 models that I only need 5 of, and really only three (I think it'll be rare to field three of a Student).

Why they didn't just do a reprint of the Transmortis box, have that be Honor Roll, and then the supplemental stuff in Study Group, I dunno.

All I know is I'm back to either Special Ordering them (if that's even an option, I'm doubting), finding someone to split the boxes (harder, because one of each Student appears to be a reprint), or going proxy.

38 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

Not that interested in buying 9 models that I only need 5 of, and really only three (I think it'll be rare to field three of a Student).

Why they didn't just do a reprint of the Transmortis box, have that be Honor Roll, and then the supplemental stuff in Study Group, I dunno.

All I know is I'm back to either Special Ordering them (if that's even an option, I'm doubting), finding someone to split the boxes (harder, because one of each Student appears to be a reprint), or going proxy.

As far as I can see there is no figure that appears in multiple boxes in M3. This appears to be the M3 packaging, that the figure exists in 1 box that is either its rare limit, or a fraction of its rare limit. As such the re-print of Transmortis and then a different box with alternative sculpts doesn't fit the new packaging.

I think you'll be out of luck with special orders, I'm pretty sure these boxes won't meet the special orders criteria. (although they are in a slightly unique place so I might be wrong).

On the upside, this might be the sort of box that places like Gadzooks split well as there are probably a lot of people that don't want the full box.

12 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

I hear you, although I know I'll b buying both boxes, probably just for 2-4 models. I have the original transmortis set already. I want another Sinew Viscera and Steel for sure. I have never used the Student of Sinew Flesh, but I think I like the new models better, so I may use one or two of those. I may paint a third steel just in case I run into a Hoffman crew. 

(edited to get the damn names right) 

53 minutes ago, Adran said:

As far as I can see there is no figure that appears in multiple boxes in M3. This appears to be the M3 packaging, that the figure exists in 1 box that is either its rare limit, or a fraction of its rare limit. As such the re-print of Transmortis and then a different box with alternative sculpts doesn't fit the new packaging.

I get that, but this'd be an exception without real conflict. Anyone playing Transmortis that didn't have the University box, is going to buy both, or they're going to buy just the one with the Valedictorian (which'd be no different if the University box was available). Anyone with the University box, would need to buy the supplemental box.

I guess it depends on how many people who bought the University box will buy both boxes, and just junk 4/9ths of their purchases, versus just proxying in supplemental models. And while I'm annoyed by this, I'm not so annoyed I'll bugger off and ragequit Malifaux, but it is the kind of thing that does set people off.

You're probably right on Special Orders. I'm not expecting differently there, based on the criteria set.

I may look into Gadzooks or the like, but I'm not expecting the pricing will be substantially different at checkout, and shipping is likely to make that option completely untenable (I'm in Australia).

• Agree 2

Do we know the prices of those boxes yet? I have the same problem as Morgan and together with shipping costs the two boxes will probably be a bit steep for me.
I will probably just use the 3 Students i have from the old Transmortis Set and use them to proxy whatever I need I think.
... Well let's wait for the prices.

17 minutes ago, Daysleeper said:

Do we know the prices of those boxes yet? I have the same problem as Morgan and together with shipping costs the two boxes will probably be a bit steep for me.
I will probably just use the 3 Students i have from the old Transmortis Set and use them to proxy whatever I need I think.
... Well let's wait for the prices.

On the GenCon sale details article (here), they are listed as 50$ each :

*WYR23207 Honor Roll                                 $50.00

*WYR23208 Study Group                              $50.00

That should at least give you an idea of what the price of retailers should be

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

I may look into Gadzooks or the like, but I'm not expecting the pricing will be substantially different at checkout, and shipping is likely to make that option completely untenable (I'm in Australia).

Australia based here (NSW). I could go halves with you if that helps!

1 hour ago, MajorUndead said:

On the GenCon sale details article (here), they are listed as 50$ each :

*WYR23207 Honor Roll                                 $50.00

*WYR23208 Study Group                              $50.00

That should at least give you an idea of what the price of retailers should be

Thanks!

Oh god, my poor wallet. 100$ + shipping to germany + 19% Tax ... :(

They'll be damned if they do and damned if they don't.  🤕

I mean, if they went with [University of Transmortis Reprint] + [The New Stuff] that's bizarre packaging for a new player.  "What do you mean I have to buy two different boxes for all of that minion?"

That isn't going to be the only box where minions are getting missing sculpts.  Looking at other upcoming boxes, Guild's getting "Protect and Serve" which is going to be 3 Riot Breakers (2 new sculpts) and 2 Guardians (1 new sculpt).

🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, solkan said:

I mean, if they went with [University of Transmortis Reprint] + [The New Stuff] that's bizarre packaging for a new player.  "What do you mean I have to buy two different boxes for all of that minion?"

🤷‍♀️

As a new player (started this edition), I'd actually love this.

I'd rather be able to get one of each minion and try everything than three of the same minion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Another option for people is splitting the boxes.

My friend has University of Transmortis, so we will likely pick this up and split the students. Though it does mean I'll feel only have one student of viscera.

That's probably what I'll do. I own the University box and will take a 2nd model of each Student and give the rest to someone interested. I can't see ever needing more than that. That way the boxes aren't that bad, supplying the necessary models for 2 players with University + one of each M3E ones. Only point of contention might be the Viscera.

Also I don't think there would be any solution making everybody happy. I would go with the general concept for M3E as well in this situation.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, solkan said:

I think that'd be the rarest of possible situations. Can't imagine someone would decide they'd want more than one Student of Steel, and not want any of either of the other Students, or more than ons Viscera or Sinew and not Vali or Steel. Else they'll be buying both boxes, and would be no different.

As to how to explain it away to new players, just tell them exactly what it is. That the initial run made this box configuration less a problem for players of the previous edition.

The problem is that there are at least three known instances where this is going to be an issue:

* Both halves of the University of Transmortis

* Hoffman's box (adding another Hunter)

* "Serve and Protect" box (another Guardian, and two new Riot Breakers)

and Wyrd's policy decision was "New sculpts of existing models don't get special order treatment."  

During all of second edition, what were your options if you wanted more than one of any of the students?  You bought more boxes, and had model(s) left over.  So nothing has changed.

I think the thing that the people complaining seem to forget, is that they are still a business, and need to make money. The new way of packaging has had the positive effect of getting local gaming stores interested in carrying the product again, with the fewer SKUs.

Similar "issue" as with the Wanyudo being in Reva's keyword. Make the business decision that will make the majority of players the least upset.