If you could take only one master / keyword...

Kuruk

So, I am aware I might be asking for disaster with this topic, but it bugs me quite a while now.

I know part of the game is choosing the right master before the game, the counterpicking.

But: If you had to choose one master/keyword to play a tourney with, which would that be?

Only single master, versatiles and OOK allowed, but the more in keyword the better.

As of now Shenlong would come to mind, but maybe there are others that do well in (almost) every pool?

3 minutes ago, Kuruk said:

So, I am aware I might be asking for disaster with this topic, but it bugs me quite a while now.

I know part of the game is choosing the right master before the game, the counterpicking.

But: If you had to choose one master/keyword to play a tourney with, which would that be?

Only single master, versatiles and OOK allowed, but the more in keyword the better.

As of now Shenlong would come to mind, but maybe there are others that do well in (almost) every pool?

Can't speak for everyone but Neverborn don't have a master that does well vs every faction.  Dreamer dies to things that rip terrifying off or turn negatives into positives (i.e. Thunders).  Zoraida probably has the best odds vs most things due to the way she works, but that core crew is squishy so she relies on a lot of OOK and Versatile if she wants to get murder done, which then have their own various weaknesses and strengths.  And again Thunders would wreck her due to them turning off defensive triggers and being able to scheme better.  Nephilim, Savage, Woe, and Fae all have various gaping weaknesses that would make them hard countered by various factions, making them less than ideal in a blind tournament.  Lucius I actually don't know... he has a lot of options but I worry about him vs things that are very murder-y, like outcasts.  If I had to pick I'd probably say Zoraida since worst case scenario I'm only somewhat disadvantaged instead of being royally screwed by something like Fae vs Thunders.

I'd probably go with Molly (Forgotten). She can handle a very wide range of pools, and has some excellent counters to other crews (conditions and markers). Downside is she can't handle every opponent (like Shenlong). She is my best master overall, though, so she's what I'd go with.

Dreamer (Nightmare) would be a close second. He has such a huge pool and range of playstyles I feel like you can build him to handle almost anything. He would be weak at corrupted idols, except Ancient Pact is a thing. He is vulnerable to Ruthless as stated above, but I think that's fine. Every crew is going to be weak to something, and at least Ruthless can be mitigated by positioning and taking down critical ruthless targets (or by building a non-terrifying list).

Probably unpopular opinion here, but a lot of Masters (and leaders) could do it if the player is willing to adapt and go OOK/versatile heavy in bad match ups.

In my case (NVB player) I could see myself picking Marcus, Lucius, Nekima, Dreamer, Zoraida or even Hinamatsu in this kind of tournament. I know all have their disadvantages, but a keyword performing well in every scenario would be OP, so that's ok.

• Agree 3

I would assume most people know my answer to this question, but you seem new, so I'll break out my ever favorite, shiny soapbox.
Nekima! Not only do I stay entirely in keyword with Nekima, it's the same 6 models, the whole tournament. Mobility is the real "can deal with anything" factor, and Nephilim can largely deal with anything. As a matter of fact, I'll be going to LVO (tourney in Las Vegas), and I'll keep running tabs of what I played into, what I played with (spoiler alert) and what the schemes and strats are. You can witness either my glory or my spectacular defeat once I come back with reports! As for general advice....
Malifaux Heresy ahead:
Generally, adaptation I think is a bait, of sorts. I learn new things about how to play this same crew I always play pretty much every game. Being used to this crew, through and through, has given me an edge that if I had just tried to play the same faction, adapting to the S&S at crew select, I would miss those little details that can make or break a game. People in my local meta have even tried their hand at this exact build (since it's the only thing I run at tournament) and they can't seem to hang with it. So, with this understanding in mind, not only could you play a single keyword, I recommend it. Just make sure that it's a keyword you can get comfortable tackling a variety of obstacles with, as I'm not arguing this can be done with all keywords. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

@Kharnage: Agree with you. Knowing a Crew in all its strengths and weaknesses allows to use it even in not-so-good match-ups.

Personaly, I play Colette in all kinds of Strat/Schemes pools with goods results and versus almost any faction. I also take her versus Ten Thunders (which is quite frequently discouraged by players). Sure, it is a bad match-up for her but this is the kind of games where you learn the most about all the tricks you can pull off to achieve victory (perhaps not the first few games).

But, even playing in Keyword can require a bit of adaptability with OOK or Versatile models (I often use the Mechanical Rider and the Soulsonte Miner). Adaptability and counter-picking are a good solution but not necesarily the unique solution. It is a question of balancing between what you gain with OOK or Versatile and what you lose by dropping some Keywords models to make room for these OOK and Versatile.

Playing a Keyword a lot and playing versus bad match-ups is what makes you better at mastering a Keyword. And with experience, your favorite Keyword can be a good choice even in not optimal games.

11 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Gotta know, whats the list?

Nekima w/ Inhuman Reflexes 
Blood Hunter
Hayreddin w/ Inhuman Reflexes
Mature w/ Ancient Pact
Mature w/ Ancient Pact
Black Blood Shaman
7 stones
You'd think with so few AP and HP that it'd die, or couldn't run schemes. But it has no such troubles, properly played. 

• Thanks 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Kharnage said:

Nekima w/ Inhuman Reflexes 
Blood Hunter
Hayreddin w/ Inhuman Reflexes
Mature w/ Ancient Pact
Mature w/ Ancient Pact
Black Blood Shaman
7 stones
You'd think with so few AP and HP that it'd die, or couldn't run schemes. But it has no such troubles, properly played. 

May Lilith have mercy on your soul if you run into Shenlong, Toni, Schtook, Molly, or Perdita...

4 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

May Lilith have mercy on your soul if you run into Shenlong, Toni, Schtook, Molly, or Perdita...

Yeah... so, The only one I haven't beaten multiple times already is Perdita, because she's so underpowered no one plays her. Shen Long's still a huge headache, but he's a problem for literally everyone right now. 

No surprises here, Seamus. He’s a very flexible master, whom solely considered alone, is flexible and powerful enough to work well into most Strats and Scheme pools. Has a number of bad matchups, but I’ve played him so much he’s the only master I’m likely to remember all the tricks for.

He only has 2 decent keyword Models, with the rest being pretty awful, so he’ll be investing  heavily in OOK and Versitile. Sloth 4 Evah!

😁