M3E Kaeris tactica

Verbathorix

7 minutes ago, Carstein said:

If an ability as Incorporal ignores hazardous terrain, will it completely ignore the pyre markers- including the burning and injured? 

By default, yes. Incorporeal models are unaffected by Hazardous Terrain, which Pyre Markers are. However...

Kaeris has this fun little ability:

"Third-Degree Bruns:

If this model is this Crew's Leader, enemy models treat Pyre Markers as Hazardous (Injured +1) in addition to any other Hazardous effects, and are never considered unaffeceted by a Pyre Marker's Hazardous Trait."

I actually found firebranded to be quite useful, they can work as healers which is great as well as having a decent ranged game with their elemental bolts. Overall I always bring one with magical training.

Elijah is a melee beast, the main issue with him is that his movility isn't all that great and it is vital to remenber to put him on fire before attacking. I've also found that kaeris can be a very efficient killer thanks to run and gun.

Overall my main issue with this crew has been making sure everybody is burning from turn 1 and not being rosted alive. The fact that most of the models are not inmune to fire damage make this crew a crew pretty much based on risk management, which is not my specialty

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Kaeris creates markers rather than dropping markers, which matters because the rules for markers uses those 2 terms as different things. See page 28 of the electronic rules.

Because it is created it can't be in base contact with another model.

As far as I can see as long as part of the marker is within 12" it is range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Also important to note that while Kaeris and Carlos can't create Pyre Markers b2b with other models, Kaeris' Raging Inferno trigger, Eternal Flame's Control the Flame action, Fire Gamin and Golem's Dancing in the Flames ability and Demise all can put the Pyre Marker b2b with others.

57 minutes ago, Nrth said:

If a model is b2b with a marker but not on top of it, do they gain burning?

Any time a model’s base is overlapping terrain, it is said to be in that terrain. If a model’s base is touching terrain (either overlapping or directly next to the terrain), that model is within 0" of that terrain.

Page 36

So yes they are in the hazardous terrain in they are in base contact with the hazardous terrain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks, I thought that 0" was some weird way of saying not in base.  Just making sure Kaeris is picking up her burning when possible.  My last couple of games went poorly, I hit a lot of the basics like slingshotting up the Golem with 6 stacks right off the bat, but failed to kill anything, and it's because I didn't kite well, and I took a Firebranded that was using enemy burning stacks to heal the Golem, which sure, kept it alive for a long time, but failed to cause any damage then.  And Selena hanging around to give people pills didn't help 

• 2 weeks later...

So... Firestarter, and Light Under Their Feet...

Assuming you target a friendly who's in combat and probably already Activated (then of course go for the Relent...), choose to strip off maybe 1 or even zero Burning to push them 2" just out of enemy engagement range, and if you use a Stone for an Tome as well as using a Tome in hand... is this the best way to do a long-distance Detonate Charges in the game?

Orr am I over-egging it with an unjustified assumption that "2 Tomes = 2 Scheme markers" ? 

2 hours ago, madaxeman said:

So... Firestarter, and Light Under Their Feet...

Assuming you target a friendly who's in combat and probably already Activated (then of course go for the Relent...), choose to strip off maybe 1 or even zero Burning to push them 2" just out of enemy engagement range, and if you use a Stone for an Tome as well as using a Tome in hand... is this the best way to do a long-distance Detonate Charges in the game?

Orr am I over-egging it with an unjustified assumption that "2 Tomes = 2 Scheme markers" ? 

Yes you are over egging it.

Compare Draw out secrets with Blaze as an example for a trigger that does care about multiple of the same suit.   Draw out secrets is 1 scheme marker per action.

Agreed.

Although you can still hit the same model twice with two different actions to get it done if needs must.

I'm coming around to the Firestarter in Dig Their Graves.  Burning deaths then count for the front half of the objective, and he can use light under their feet to get a scheme in position.

Similarly I'm liking him more in Turf War as with him in play burning kills count for turning off Turf markers.

• Like 1

Anyone had any luck with bringing an Oxfordian Mage along with Kaeris? I'm debating bringing one along as, passively, their aura can heal Elementals and they have a large area of "control" with their Counterspell aura. Their Elemental Transferance trigger on their ranged attack seems like an interesting way to try and control the enemy's AP use because even though we want things Burning, giving an enemy model Slow may potentially deny Victory Points. Could even cast it on a friendly to change conditions around.  Lastly, the Arcane Conduit aura seems like a good way to manage conditions on friendlies if you're worried about Burning to death or facing an enemy who relies on conditions or Scrap Markers. 

I am wanting to see what the general thoughts on this model are as I plan on using one in my next game I play. Afterwards, I can inform everyone on how it goes.

@madaxeman - Frankly I'm not sure he's better than a Wind Gamin, they can escape melee and interact. 

On Oxfordian Mages I'm with @CD1248, they're definitely worth a tech choice.  Without any six stats, or Elemental Transference built in 7ss is a huge ask unless you're able to leverage condition removal and the healing at once and I don't think that level of static play suits Kaeris.

2 hours ago, mythicFOX said:

@madaxeman - Frankly I'm not sure he's better than a Wind Gamin, they can escape melee and interact. 

On Oxfordian Mages I'm with @CD1248, they're definitely worth a tech choice.  Without any six stats, or Elemental Transference built in 7ss is a huge ask unless you're able to leverage condition removal and the healing at once and I don't think that level of static play suits Kaeris.

Note there transference is after resolving so even a low tome does thr deed 

Plus kaeris can hand out lots of injured 

@dannydb I had totally missed that, good spot!

That the trigger is after resolving probably makes them worth considering as a tech choice in a few extra match ups (eg; Feng / McMourning) .  I'm still not sure they're more than a tech choice.  Opponent's will bring condition removal vs Kaeris so I'm not sure the mage is over useful just to ping slow onto people which is probably the most obvious use. 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Played Kaeris for the first time yesterday. 

I did a little trick with Elijah and a firebranded. I know firebranded aren't very competitive, but I found it a fun way to stack up burning early. 

Firebranded started next to Elijah and hit him with a melee attack. I cheated in a low tome to have 2 tomes in the duel total. Elijah relented. Elijah definsivr trigger goes off due to the tomes in the duel total. This gave Elijah 3 burning and the firebranded burning 1.

Could be fun to do this twice, then use the firestarter to shoot Elijah 10" up the board (ideally into a pyre). 

When Elijah activates he can use his bonus action to heal up and gain another burning. 

• Like 1