2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

I have gotten stuck into some terrain building and haven't touched my Malifaux at all (unless you count slowly adding water effect to a 2 year old board)!

Should reach a pause point in the next week and have time left to finish Hank McCoy, I mean Jekyll and Hyde, I mean, that werewolf fella who isn't a mimic in third Ed. 😀

Because terrain is never really finished and it's best to work at it when the motivation strikes!

• Like 1

@misterfinn Your gremlin is great. Since you want critiques, I'll try one. I'm wondering if it's not too much green between the skin of the little guy and the grass on top of his head. How would it be with autumn colors for the grass? I've also seen people using browns or pinks in the shadows of orc faces and ears. Maybe this trick would have brought some contrast. I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Wow haven't been online for a few days, some great work posted since then!

@misterfinn Gremlin looks awesome, I'd be hard pressed to offer any criticism, maybe just what @Franchute said, try a different colour on the grass? but in all honesty looks great as is

@Stranglelove Really nice looking crew, Love the basing especially and the rotten look of Ikiryo :) 

@Nikodemus Glad you powered through, those motivational walls can be crushing but its one of the great things about this group is that there's always motivation and inspiration to be found. The Tengu looks great, amazing detail on the feathers and the beak is awesome.

@Viruk Those two Myrandas look great, especially like the work you've put in to the basing. Thanks also for your kind words, your right I will definitely add some dirt to bottom of my exorcists coats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:10 AM, Viruk said:

@Purple Mist - that definitely looks intriguing. The thing about colorshift paints is that taking pics of minis painted with them is really hard as they work well when you rotate the mini and look at it from different angles.

I suggest to take many and more shots changing lighting conditions and rotating the models. Then you can always select the best photos. Considering camera filters and effects offered by most common cells, pictures are always and anyway one possible reproduction of minis that live could be worst.... or sometime better.

@Franchute Dried or autumn colored grass is a great idea, thank you! I’ll give it a go on my next Bushwhacker. 

@Caedrus Great blending job on the torso (possibly the best I’ve seen you do!) and well-executed NMM tank & cuffs.

The flat surfaces of the hand blades don’t look right to me. If you’ve got a highly reflective surface in that shape, I think your highlight/shade will be mostly flat color on upward- and downward-facing smooth surfaces that reflect only sky or only ground rather than perpendicular lines.

87abfb159035d9fa29613966b2d17b80.jpg

Maybe someone with more NMM experience than mine can offer additional perspective/feedback. 

• Like 1

@misterfinn: Sincere thanks for the feedback. I agree! I think that a SENMM effect for the downward facing (blade) segments would be most correct, mostly being a flat grey to reflect the stones. However, this piece was mostly a practice piece, so I'm not too concerned. But yeah, it's a fair critique!

There's another error: The 'red sphere' effect within the golden NMM is also upside-down! The white-glint should probably be at the top! Technically, it depends on whether the red stuff is filling the space, or just red glass (which is how I've done it, but it's bugging me, so I might reverse it back!).

As always, feedback and critiques (from all) are always welcome!

Caedrus.

• Like 1