June 20 - Nellie Cochrane

Lucidicide

23 minutes ago, solkan said:

So, according to some images posted at A Wyrd Place, the display panels for Brutal Emissary had a picture of a person confirmed to be  "Nah, she works with the reporters. :) And yes, she's a Henchman. And yes, there is a 'story' there .. There ya go ..".  The person in the image has been concisely described as "Cyborg Lady with Scythe".

Guild officially most spoiled faction.  :P

Not totally cyborg. That one can't possibly be a construct subtype after all, nope, no more constructs ever for Guild, can't let Hoffman have new toys.

...but she still looks really cool and unless her rules and mechanics totally stink I want to buy her.

25 minutes ago, Manic Mouse said:

I wonder if she's a summoner?

The comment about bringing a fresh take on how the guild hires mercs makes me think this - since it isn't an ability on the front of her card.  And I don't think it would be as simple as making them cheaper with an upgrade.

Guild are the only faction that lack a summoner right?

Somehow I'm almost certain Nellie isn't. This may be based on my 'Ironsides is statted out like a summoner without the summoning' mini-rant of a few weeks ago and this one also being a condition accumulator.

Guild's summoner is one of Sonnia's (less taken) upgrades. Ten Thunders' summoner is their henchman Toshiro the Daimyo.

16 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Not totally cyborg. That one can't possibly be a construct subtype after all, nope, no more constructs ever for Guild, can't let Hoffman have new toys.

...but she still looks really cool and unless her rules and mechanics totally stink I want to buy her.

Somehow I'm almost certain Nellie isn't. This may be based on my 'Ironsides is statted out like a summoner without the summoning' mini-rant of a few weeks ago and this one also being a condition accumulator.

Guild's summoner is one of Sonnia's (less taken) upgrades. Ten Thunders' summoner is their henchman Toshiro the Daimyo.

Whatever she turns out to be I'm super excited - I am wondering what that comment about mercs was about but I'm sure we'll find out. :)

May I say that since cheating is (Da Rules, pag 19 or so) the act of a model replacing its own flip total, the wording sounds like she can cheat damage flips against her, when she is the model performing the damage flip, and not what it actually seems RAI?
Maybe it should go like "When a damage flip is performed against this model, this model may discard a card. The value of the discarded card is the new damage flip result."
Or is it just me, misunderstanding?

13 minutes ago, r4st4f4n said:

May I say that since cheating is (Da Rules, pag 19 or so) the act of a model replacing its own flip total, the wording sounds like she can cheat damage flips against her, when she is the model performing the damage flip, and not what it actually seems RAI?
Maybe it should go like "When a damage flip is performed against this model, this model may discard a card. The value of the discarded card is the new damage flip result."

The way I read it is she may cheat the enemies damage for them ignoring the fact it is not her model, negative flips or anything else except if the attack states it may not be cheated such as Gamble For Your Life.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, r4st4f4n said:

The same page that you're trying to quote from has this at the bottom of it (at least, if you're quoting the cheating definition in the Core Rulebook):

Models in Malifaux have many unique rules which override the core rules. This goes for any special rules, even those from terrain or an Encounter. When a special rule explicitly contradicts these core rules, follow the special rule rather than the core rule.

Also, consider that models before this one have been able to cheat:

- the initiative flip (Doppleganger)

and that in Shifting Loyalties the things that aren't necessarily flipped by the model can be cheated:

- Aftermath Step

- The Finished Off flip

- Injury result flips

So it seems to me that "may cheat damage flips made against it" is sufficiently well defined.  :) 

• Like 4

Well this crew is sealed as an instant buy for me.  Hell I love my Lucius support master even with the masked manaics struggles, everything about this release looks spot on. Personally love the crew concept, the model art and render and her rules are developing in an intriguing way.

So thus far I'm:

9/10 Guild

8.5/10 Arcanist (my main faction :D)

8/10 Rezzers 

These are the factions I love to play. 

7/10 Neverborn (which I have models for because of my Zoraida Gremlins and Lucius crossover, but Dark Fae call me open to the idea)

7/10 Outcasts (I might have to get me some wild west style outlaws, we'll see)

3/10 Ten Thunders (the only disappointment but then I am not super invested in TT anyway)

So Gremlins.............. the bar is set high to displace the great and glowy Wong as master of all things.  Remember for every action there is a pop... zap... bang..... oops..... is it moving.... run!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, solkan said:

The same page that you're trying to quote from has this at the bottom of it (at least, if you're quoting the cheating definition in the Core Rulebook):

Also, consider that models before this one have been able to cheat:

- the initiative flip (Doppleganger)

and that in Shifting Loyalties the things that aren't necessarily flipped by the model can be cheated:

- Aftermath Step

- The Finished Off flip

- Injury result flips

So it seems to me that "may cheat damage flips made against it" is sufficiently well defined.  :) 

Yup, I agree on the intention, and the Breaking the Rules Box, but the examples always relate to the player cheating her own flips. IMO, to break the rule and expand "cheating" to an enemy flip, the wording should at least spell out "enemy damage flips" or "all damage flips, as if they were their own", since the possibility to cheat  one's own damage flips against one's own models already exists. Otherwise, implied "friendly or enemy" might be added also to other special instances of cheating too, it's just for better clarity :)

This is the first new master I really don't like much. The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I sure like a master with a sword or a gun than I do one with a pen. I think it's great that Wyrd brings in new things like this though. She's different and interesting, just not for me. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, r4st4f4n said:

Yup, I agree on the intention, and the Breaking the Rules Box, but the examples always relate to the player cheating her own flips. IMO, to break the rule and expand "cheating" to an enemy flip, the wording should at least spell out "enemy damage flips" or "all damage flips, as if they were their own", since the possibility to cheat  one's own damage flips against one's own models already exists. Otherwise, implied "friendly or enemy" might be added also to other special instances of cheating too, it's just for better clarity :)

This looks a lot like one of those "You understood the rule, and its intent, perfectly" situations, and you're just being surprised by expansion of the application of the definition.  :) So where's the need for clarity? 

If it boils down to asking for the rulebook to replace this:

Once a model has chosen the active card from the flip (and any Fate Modifiers) it may then Cheat Fate. To do this, it replaces the active card with one from the player’s Control Hand, discarding the old card.

with

Once a model has chosen the active card from the flip (and any Fate Modifiers) it may then Cheat Fate.

To Cheat Fate (sometimes referred to simply as "cheating" a flip), replace the active card with one from the player’s Control Hand, discarding the old card.

that seems to be an amazingly minor bit of editing.

That, after all, is the sort of definition required for all of the previous uses and this new one.

Quite a different look for a master. I like it! Had to do some research on the name. Looks like it is from Elizabeth Cocrhan Seaman/Nellie Bly, a journalist. She apparently lied about being insane so she could study an asylum from the inside. Would be cool to see if that plays into her abilities/upgrades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly

• Like 3