January FAQ

Justin

Question

20 answers to this question

I think these are the changes overall:

51) Q: If a model has immunity to Blasts and it is hit with an Attack which includes a Blast icon in the damage profile, is the model immune to that attack? Or is it only immune to damage caused by having a Blast Marker placed over it?

A: The model is only immune to damage caused by having a Blast Marker placed over it, so it is not immune to the Attack. (1/22/16)

---

3) Q: Rasputina’s Sub Zero Trigger states that it immediately ends the Attacker’s Activation. If a model Charges and Rasputina uses the Sub Zero Trigger on the first Attack, would the Attacker still get the second Attack from the Charge Action?

A: No. When the model ends its Activation it immediately proceeds to the end Activation step and it may do nothing further; it may not take any more Attacks, declare Triggers, or otherwise do anything it would normally do during its Activation. (1/22/16)

---

9) Q: The Black Blood Shaman’s Black Blood Pustule Action states that it may only target models with the Black Blood Ability. Can it target models with the Black Blood Condition?

A: No. Abilities and Conditions are two separate things. (1/22/16)

----

• Like 3

5 hours ago, solkan said:

3) Q: Rasputina’s Sub Zero Trigger states that it immediately ends the Attacker’s Activation. If a model Charges and Rasputina uses the Sub Zero Trigger on the first Attack, would the Attacker still get the second Attack from the Charge Action?

A: No. When the model ends its Activation it immediately proceeds to the end Activation step and it may do nothing further; it may not take any more Attacks, declare Triggers, or otherwise do anything it would normally do during its Activation. (1/22/16)

Seems like a quick response from Justin & Co.  That question only popped up this week, didn't it?  :)

Slightly uneventful, but I suppose that isn't a bad thing.

8 hours ago, solkan said:

I don't get what the "declare Triggers" bit is supposed to do. You declare triggers during the apply named step 4 "Declare One Trigger" and Sub Zero is resolved during step 5 (as it requires the model to suffer damage). Is it supposed to mean that you don't resolve "after..." triggers (e.g. Ice Gamin Chill trigger which gives Slow after damaging)? If that is the intent it could be stated more clearly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Palooka said:

No clarity on the Pandora blast markers with self harm/loathing conundrum? I PM'd you, dang it! :)

What conundrum?

The instruction in Self Harm and Self Loathing is:

Apply the printed damage results of the chosen Action to the target, no other effects or Triggers from the chosen Action are applied.

That rules out applying :blastin the damage track.

2 hours ago, solkan said:

What conundrum?

Apply the printed damage results of the chosen Action to the target, no other effects or Triggers from the chosen Action are applied.

No it doesn't. The blast markers are on the damage track, and thus they aren't effects other than damage results.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tunagami said:

Clarity?  Yes.  Result?  No :-P

Alas, I can live with it.  Just was kind of neat if it went the other way.

Same. I'll live with it, but don't agree with it. I understand the reason for the ruling, but BBS is built around "Black Blood" but he can't interact with the one thing he hands out himself, only if it's an ability on something. Still, it is what it is. Just means I'm passing on buying the plastic of this model as it's far to niche now in use to me.

PS - I'd also really like clarity on the whole Pandora damage +/- Blasts. I read blasts as an effect of the damage, therefore don't use them when damaging (and I'm the local Pandora player), but I can see the argument of others that they should be. Honestly, I'd be happy either way, but would like clarity on this if possible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, solkan said:

What conundrum?

There's no clarity on whether :blast is a part of the damage track or an 'effect' - as it IS a part of the damage track. But by the same token I can see the argument for and against it - I just want to know what the intent is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I think it's more the 'to the target' part solkan was referring to. I would take it that blasts do nothing since they damage someone other than the target, but it definitely could be clearer.

Just like "Target suffers 2/4:blast/5:blast damage." means that no other model will suffer damage?

1 hour ago, Palooka said:

There's no clarity on whether :blast is a part of the damage track or an 'effect' - as it IS a part of the damage track. But by the same token I can see the argument for and against it - I just want to know what the intent is.

Damage is an effect as well. Effect isn't a game term. That means anything and everything caused by literally anything is an effect. The action tells you to not apply effects that aren't part of the damage track.

3 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Just like "Target suffers 2/4:blast/5:blast damage." means that no other model will suffer damage?

Damage is an effect as well. Effect isn't a game term. That means anything and everything caused by literally anything is an effect. The action tells you to not apply effects that aren't part of the damage track.

This is my read of it as well. In a 2/4:blast/5:blast  damage track the :blast is part of the damage result, not an 'effect'.

13 minutes ago, KrazyIvan said:

This is my read of it as well. In a 2/4:blast/5:blast  damage track the :blast is part of the damage result, not an 'effect'.

I agree. I don't even know this was a  conundrum.   A effect would the push or :+ flip on the weapon. 

Can the sort by rating be turned off of this thread?

2 hours ago, Artiee said:

I agree. I don't even know this was a  conundrum.   A effect would the push or :+ flip on the weapon. 

Justin said he wasn't going to post FaQ updates in the rules forum anymore after the last one. I was surprised it wasn't posted in the Announcements forum, but until it's not longer in the rules forum, or the rules forum changes you can always just use the sort by date option, instead of sort by rating.

3 hours ago, Artiee said:

You can change the sorting after the first post but before the answers so it sorts by date instead. It will always default back to rating when you reload pages however.

On 23/01/2016 at 6:21 PM, Myyrä said:

I'm a bit disappointed we still don't know how models getting killed works, how vantage points are supposed to be played, and how incorporeal/flying models handle elevations. This stuff comes up way too often in games.

I have a feeling those last two will be M3E/M2.5E issues.

• Like 2