July 11th - The Wild Ones

Lucidicide

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Music can be quite diverse around here to be honest - usually it's piping out of my office because .. well cause I can. :) Depending on the day and the mood, it can be anything coming through. Right now, listening to Cashman, Johnny Cash, White Stripes, Black Keys and John Lee Hooker. Yesterday it was Tool, Metallica and Cannibal Corpse. Yeah .. might have been in a bit of a mood yesterday ...

I´d love to see some Metallica inspired models.

• Like 1

@Nathan Caroland

Hey,

would it be possible to share some creative process how nightmare crews come to be. From secret meetings*, where everyone is allowed to pitch a goofy idea. To the first concept arts and electing sth., talking to the one responsible for casting going back and forth and shipping?

I know this me asking much to go barebones and I can understand you guys at Wyrd denying that, but it would be interesting how these things work**.

(* complete with hooded robes, praising the dark one if necessary)

(** not as magical as your average joe believes, Wyrd workers do not poop out rainbow plastic that takes the shape of eveything required***)

(*** well, we never know... ... we never know)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

I think they also had the forsight to remove the Wastrels since they were the Miss model last year. If Wastrels were in this set, I would skip it since I have two Miss Anne Thropes. But the addition of the currently-unreleased Mounted Guards flips this from a skip-it to must-have.

Completely agree. :)   Thanks to Wyrd for not put the wastrels in there.  If it wasn't for the Mounted Guards I'd also be skipping this box.  I'm sure whatever the price will be it will be more than I wanted to pay for a duplicate McCabe crew.  Getting cool models and two Mounted Guards means I'll probably be able to rationalize buying it.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi said:

@Nathan Caroland

Hey,

would it be possible to share some creative process how nightmare crews come to be. From secret meetings*, where everyone is allowed to pitch a goofy idea. To the first concept arts and electing sth., talking to the one responsible for casting going back and forth and shipping?

I know this me asking much to go barebones and I can understand you guys at Wyrd denying that, but it would be interesting how these things work**.

(* complete with hooded robes, praising the dark one if necessary)

(** not as magical as your average joe believes, Wyrd workers do not poop out rainbow plastic that takes the shape of eveything required***)

(*** well, we never know... ... we never know)

We spent a month spitballing ideals back and forth, some interesting, some very boring, others too damn obvious, others I tossed out just for hating the idea. Nothing honestly too interesting here until someone came upon the idea of a biker group, or something of the like, and then it sort of grew from there. The fellas could probably tell you who first came up with the idea as I honestly have no clue any longer. 

After that, did some quick research, threw together some ideas, sketches, ideas from elsewhere, shot it off to an artist and did a bit of back and forth and there you go. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

We spent a month spitballing ideals back and forth, some interesting, some very boring, others too damn obvious, others I tossed out just for hating the idea. Nothing honestly too interesting here until someone came upon the idea of a biker group, or something of the like, and then it sort of grew from there. The fellas could probably tell you who first came up with the idea as I honestly have no clue any longer. 

After that, did some quick research, threw together some ideas, sketches, ideas from elsewhere, shot it off to an artist and did a bit of back and forth and there you go. 

A little of the ole' back and forth eh? ;)

9 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Much obliged, seems gettng the right idea was the hardest thing of this whole undertaking and after that it's like Marry Poppins singing that just a spoonful of sugar helps and ... OFF. WYRD. GOES

4 hours ago, ABoyNamedSue said:

I genuinely want to know the answer to this.

It's nothing really elaborate, although from the pictures I've found it's more a matter of 'dark grey' vs. 'pitch black', and a little bit of "Is it more steam punk to use a more retro rubber formulation, or does it look okay to use a later rubber formulation with plenty of black carbon in it?"

But I suppose what it comes down to is:

- Raw latex from the plant is white.

- You end up with various shades of dark grey when you add sulfur and vulcanize the rubber.

- You end up with the "modern black" tire when you add carbon and other things to the rubber mix.

One of the available videos: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRDEAWtWxY

The really fascinating stuff (even is some of it is in the "This happened less than a hundred years before I was born, why am I learning about it now?" is the history of rubber production from around 1900 to 1945, and the rubber plantations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlAyQz5vVQ

(Links instead of the fancy previews because it's a little bit off topic and I can't figure out how to do spoilers at the moment.  :mellow:)

• Like 6

From this we know that Solkan either has some sort of career interest in the textile, rubber, polymer industry or that they have a truly disturbing rubber fetish and to much time on their hands.

Honestly though, Malifaux cannot complain about a lack of intellectual input on the boards, modelling/sculpt debates with historical reference and I now can surprise people at trivia nights.  It is worth noting again that this is a game with various cyborgs and automatons, all a degree of technology not available.. well currently, let alone in the 19th century.  Also I imagine that both cyborg and robot creation would likely involve utilising rubber or similar polymer compounds for tubing, seals and other such construction points, I certainly imagine so anyway.

Also my guess is Sybelle has access to certain essential rubber items.  Yeah I went there! :huh:

• Like 5

20 hours ago, MrDeathTrout said:

Completely agree. :)   Thanks to Wyrd for not put the wastrels in there.  If it wasn't for the Mounted Guards I'd also be skipping this box.  I'm sure whatever the price will be it will be more than I wanted to pay for a duplicate McCabe crew.  Getting cool models and two Mounted Guards means I'll probably be able to rationalize buying it.

I'm on the opposite  side of the fence  on this. While  I  love the input of mounted guards as dislike  horses, I don't  want to  have  to buy the McCabe set just to get the wastrals. Miss wastral was awesome, but her variations  are too similar  to  justify fielding  her multiple times  IMO. Any chance wyrd will put out wastrals as a separate  boxes set like the witchlings? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jason13 said:

I'm on the opposite  side of the fence  on this. While  I  love the input of mounted guards as dislike  horses, I don't  want to  have  to buy the McCabe set just to get the wastrals. Miss wastral was awesome, but her variations  are too similar  to  justify fielding  her multiple times  IMO. Any chance wyrd will put out wastrals as a separate  boxes set like the witchlings? 

I agree that I hope the Wastrels are made available separately.  

1 hour ago, MrDeathTrout said:

I agree that I hope the Wastrels are made available separately.  

I have asked this question before. The issue is that the wastrels are scattered throughout the sprue and cant be separated. They will have to be remodeled to get its own box and I bet that is not worth doing as they are not the best models in the world.

58 minutes ago, WyrdMatt said:

I have asked this question before. The issue is that the wastrels are scattered throughout the sprue and cant be separated. They will have to be remodeled to get its own box and I bet that is not worth doing as they are not the best models in the world.

They did it with the Ashigaru.

1 hour ago, WyrdMatt said:

Probably won't happen then.  That's the issue with the early plastics all the parts are scattered so a separate box is not possible.  I know Misaki has the same issue, and I think Lynch does as well.  At least they have the alt Wastrel with multiple poses limited as they may be it it is more poses than most models. :)

P.S.  Please don't take this a criticism of how Wyrd packages their models.  Wyrd is not perfect, but they do a pretty good job pleasing as many people as possible.  I really appreciate all the effort they put into the Alt models.  Even though boxes like the Dark Carnival and Wild Ones (I'm guessing) have pretty steep price tags compared to their standard versions I pretty sure Wyrd's profit margin is slim to none on these sets.  Wyrd does benefit from just having cool things out there to build interest in the hobby, but my guess is they do it mostly because they like to do cool things and make cool models.

7 minutes ago, Durza said:

They did it with the Ashigaru.

Ashigaru can be summoned. Summons get separate boxes.

19 hours ago, dancater said:

It is worth noting again that this is a game with various cyborgs and automatons, all a degree of technology not available.. well currently, let alone in the 19th century.  Also I imagine that both cyborg and robot creation would likely involve utilising rubber or similar polymer compounds for tubing, seals and other such construction points, I certainly imagine so anyway.

Also my guess is Sybelle has access to certain essential rubber items.  Yeah I went there! :huh:

You can get partway there with rigid pipes and leather flexible joints instead of wholly flexible tubes. Still, given the pressures needed to (say) power the guardian's arms to lift its sword and shield, I'd be happier if those large diameter tubes had a bit of rubber to them.

As regards Madame Sybelle...everyone's gone there. Stupid alluring rotten belles. :P

20 hours ago, solkan said:

But I suppose what it comes down to is:

- Raw latex from the plant is white.

- You end up with various shades of dark grey when you add sulfur and vulcanize the rubber.

- You end up with the "modern black" tire when you add carbon and other things to the rubber mix.

Ooo, is that why it's so stinkin' difficult to find non-black rubber products these days? Some of those old mint green or white or pink ones from the '50s could really use replacements but they're only available in black! You can't put a black belt or bobbin winder tire on a cool pink vintage sewing machine, it totally ruins the look!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Ooo, is that why it's so stinkin' difficult to find non-black rubber products these days? Some of those old mint green or white or pink ones from the '50s could really use replacements but they're only available in black! You can't put a black belt or bobbin winder tire on a cool pink vintage sewing machine, it totally ruins the look!

Why would there be more than one type of rubber, plastic or resin for different uses? Don't you want your rubber gloves to have the same durability and flexibility characteristics as your tires?  :mellow:

3 hours ago, WyrdMatt said:

Not the best models? What are you taking  about? They look so cool! The 3 male wastrels  with the alt. miss wastrel looks great on the table  top IMO. Or are you  referring  to  strategy?

1 hour ago, santaclaws01 said:

Alps don't, and they don't even have the problem of being scattered throughout the sprue.

The only models that can summon alps already come in that box, though. Toshiro can use ashigaru separate of Yan Lo, so they earn a separate release.

Forgive a new fan the possibly stupid question, but how much did the previous nightmare boxes run? I can't seem to find it over google, and I'd like to know whether or not saving for this one is even valid for me, as I'd only have two checks to do it on. It'd be a shame, though, if it turned out not so feasible. I've mainly been grabbing Guild models, and I was staying away from McCabe because of the looks, but now... I would reaaaally like those mounted guard alts!

18 minutes ago, Zachary.frosty@gmail.com said:

Forgive a new fan the possibly stupid question, but how much did the previous nightmare boxes run? I can't seem to find it over google, and I'd like to know whether or not saving for this one is even valid for me, as I'd only have two checks to do it on. It'd be a shame, though, if it turned out not so feasible. I've mainly been grabbing Guild models, and I was staying away from McCabe because of the looks, but now... I would reaaaally like those mounted guard alts!

Last year's was $90.