July 11th - The Wild Ones

Lucidicide

Absolutely love this box already - look forward to complaining about putting it together and hiding the price tag from my husband lmao

I should note, I don't even play Guild, though trying to get hubby into it. Nor outcasts, but I really like the whole steampunky bits in Malifaux as well, and these sculpts look kick ars... you know.

Also can't help but see one of them as a doomwheel, ala my Skaven in WHFB lol

• Like 1

Oh yeah, one other question for anyone who remembers last year and the Dark Carnival-

What are the odds that they keep enough in stock to offer it during the Black Friday sale? I'm not in a huge rush and I'm not too excited by an Arcanist Miss promo, but the more I think about it the more I'd like to pick this up. The concept is growing on me the more I consider it, tempered only by my insufficient modeling skill.

6 hours ago, solkan said:

The really counter intuitive thing is that it's the motorcycle that's the less plausible vehicle, not the monobike, because of the tires:huh:

Radial tires and/or synthetic rubber are about ten years too early in the setting, without having some sort of 'ground up orphan blood' explanation. 

:P

How do you tell if the tires are radial or what kind of rubber they use just by looking at the outside? And even if they are, an invention being a mere ten years early (or late) in an alt history setting doesn't seem very damning to me, but that is of course personal opinion.

---

I agree with those that think the Ramones doesn't fit all that well with the established Malifaux aesthetic. I still find this Nightmare set appealing though, which is a first for me for the more outlandish Nightmare sets (Tara or Whiskey Golem doesn't feel very "Nightmare" to me). I probably wont get it though, postage and customs can add quite a bit and the Nightmare boxes are usually pretty pricey to start with, but I'm really tempted this year...

1 hour ago, Bengt said:

How do you tell if the tires are radial or what kind of rubber they use just by looking at the outside? And even if they are, an invention being a mere ten years early (or late) in an alt history setting doesn't seem very damning to me, but that is of course personal opinion.

To put it plainly, the style of tires on the models didn't really come about until the 20's.  (Those tractor style tires actually date to the 30's, so I was giving the monocycles too much benefit of the doubt, too.)  Early tires didn't even have treads on them originally.

That's why I said it was counter intuitive--the tires are pretty much the most advanced component on each of the vehicles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtleclub13 said:

Cool. I was lo king to get into McCabe but didn't like his sculpt. This changes everything.

I have a similar feeling about McCabe.  Even though I like horses, the McCabe design is just not interesting enough for me. Although I really like the design of Sidir Archibal. 

Unfortunately I think this nightmare edition is going to be very pricy.

• Like 1

Last years Dark Carnival was $90. This might well still be that. (from a  marketing view, it might be the case that if the Miss is free on $100 spends again, then having the nightmare crew lower than that spend, people will buy something else as well). I have no idea what pricing changes could have happened over the last year, I'm just hoping Stirling rally's in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adran said:

Last years Dark Carnival was $90. This might well still be that. (from a  marketing view, it might be the case that if the Miss is free on $100 spends again, then having the nightmare crew lower than that spend, people will buy something else as well). I have no idea what pricing changes could have happened over the last year, I'm just hoping Stirling rally's in the next few weeks. 

That is what I was thinking. $90 seems fair.

I'd feel alright buying it at $90, terribly much more and I'd really have to ask myself how much I was really paying for something I technically already had (McCabe Box) and who I was already perfectly happy with. Comparing them against whatever the Mounted Guard box ends up being might also sway me away since it'd be cheaper and better fit the theme of the crews I already have vs. encouraging me to expand into the more steampunk side.

I expect it to be more than $90, though, sadly. I imagine its quite a bit more in the box than Dark Carnival.

This box has bigger models than the Dark Carnival (3 50mm, 1 40mm, 2 30mm) but the model count is lower (6-9) so I'm hoping it's the same price (really I'm hoping that it's cheaper, but that's more of a pipe dream really!).

Also not sure what all the b*tching about it being dual faction is... as someone mentioned, 3/7 of the current masters are dual... it's pretty inevitable.  If 10T won and it was McCabe chosen (or any one of our {my avatar probably shows my bias!} 6/7 dual Faction masters), I bet you wouldn't be complaining!  Also as pointed out, the reason it's not a Blue Nightmare, is 10T helped take them down a peg (damn uppity favourite bigshots!) and came in third. 

Look on the brightside, Guild get one of the coolest (IMO) Nightmare sets ever & more importantly (again IMO) bragging rights. 

I also want to start a Wyrd Playlist, we've got:

• Mr Cooper (Alice)
  • Mercury (Queen)
  • Lola (Kinks)
  • Thin Lizzie (Lizzy)
  • Rollins Black (I'm gueesing Henry Rollins - Black Flag?)
  • Iggy Pop
  • Cherry Bomb (I'm guessing The Runaways, but also John Mallencamp )
  • Elli & Patti Ramone (the Ramones)

Anything else?  That's a pretty awesome list right there really!  I wonder whose the music buff at Wyrd as between these and the Seven, we've got a pretty good selection of musos!

• Like 1

I guess that Elli and Patti Ramones are mixtures of a Ramone and Patti Smith and Elli Medeiros (The Stinky Toys). The wild ones can both be an homage to Real wild child (Wild one) by Iggy Pop, fits the punk/alternative wibe, but also to the Motorcycle movie The wild one from 1953. About Cherry Bomb, I am pretty certain that is more The Runaways than Mellencamp to stick with the 70's punk stitch. But we will never know before someone from Wyrd give us the real deal.

Actually I would have been complaining if TT won and a Dual faction was chosen. If you make a contest and announce the prizes and then add in others after the fact it feels like cheating to me. I'm not saying I'm right, just that this feels wrong to me. If TT had won I would have expected at the time a Nightmare Shenlong, or now that we know there is a new TT only master coming out a Nioghtmare version of her.

As for costing, Don't forget that the Nightmare Tara Box is very similar to her current box but cost $90.00 as well, and if I remember correctly Nathan mentioned at the time if there was any profit margin at all on that box it was very slim to nonexistent. Don't forget it isn't only the amount of plastic that's in the model that contributes to its cost, its also how long it takes in the machine. From what I remember Wyrd saying when they first shifted over to plastic one of the biggest cost overheads was the actual run time on the machine itself. These are multi-million dollar machines, and they need to run pretty much consistently for the operators to make any profit, so the longer it takes for the plastic to sit in the mold before it can be popped out and another one injected adds to the cost. If I remember correctly part of the issue with the Nightmare Tara box was the thickness of some of the plastic and the extra limbs on the Nothing Beast that helped add to the cost of the box. 

Now that isn't to say I'm an expert or that I'm speaking at all for Wyrd. I've certainly been wrong before. I personally think it would be great if for whatever reason they managed to keep the cost of this box down at the $90.00 range. However almost universally the nightmare boxes have always been more expensive then an initial thought might expect them to be. The amount of plastic in the model, and the thickness of some of it looks to me, in my totally unexperienced way, looks to me like the price is probably going to be, at a guess, in the $100.00 to $120.00 range. Again that is a total shot in the dark guess, but I would be very surprised if the final cost is $90.00 or under. Pleasantly surprised even though I don't intend to buy this, but surprised none-the-less. We will just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Actually I would have been complaining if TT won and a Dual faction was chosen. If you make a contest and announce the prizes and then add in others after the fact it feels like cheating to me. I'm not saying I'm right, just that this feels wrong to me. If TT had won I would have expected at the time a Nightmare Shenlong, or now that we know there is a new TT only master coming out a Nioghtmare version of her.

It seems they kept that in mind by removing the Wastrels and replacing them with Mounted Guards. The only model in the box that anyone in 10T can use is Cherri Bomb.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

It seems they kept that in mind by removing the Wastrels and replacing them with Mounted Guards. The only model in the box that anyone in 10T can use is Cherri Bomb.

I think they also had the forsight to remove the Wastrels since they were the Miss model last year. If Wastrels were in this set, I would skip it since I have two Miss Anne Thropes. But the addition of the currently-unreleased Mounted Guards flips this from a skip-it to must-have.

• Like 3

Never heard before that the time to cast had any significant effect on the cost of injection moulded plastic. Only that the moulds themselves were expensive because you had mill them out of a block of steel. Time in the milling machine, i.e. the more steel you need to remove, will naturally make the mould more expensive. Not only thickness affect that though, if something sticks up a lot out of the plane of the mould it will also mean more steel will need to be removed.