February 29 - Changelings

Lucidicide

Got to join the Not Impressed camp. I admit I am biased because I really wanted them to look like the creepy things birthing from the base of the Mysterious Emmisary, but 3 identical models (one mirrored) in rather static poses just isn't doing it for me.

These are the first plastics I'll be hunting down proxies for.

41 minutes ago, necroon said:

I love that they all look very similar. Invokes a sort of "What a minute: Didn't I just see that kid over there.....?" scenario in the 'ol mind theater. Can't want to get my hands on these!

This is exactly how I feel. I'm incredibly happy they look so similar. It's what I expected. Perfect and awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on them. 

• Like 2

Before anyone else complains about the renders being oddly flipped, get out your Shifting Loyalties book and turn to page 157, the page with Changeling and its card on it.  Large image, the buttons are on the figure's left side; the small image on the card has the buttons on the figure's right side.

Naturally, the obvious explanation for why the creature's buttons are on the wrong side is that the otherwise fiendishly clever creature made a mistake, and was not aware of the historic shift in clothes making occurring during the 1850's and 1860's.  After all, from the accounts a quick web search pulls up, at the time of the first breach the button placement on clothing was about evenly distributed.  :tome

Edit:  This message brought to you by the Ad Hoc Committee for Changeling Clothing Awareness.  Don't let your infiltration of human society be foiled because you read a hundred year old account of human fashion.  B) 

Edited by solkan
  • Like 6

Not feeling the second one, but the first and third are alright. A little more variety than 1 changeling, 3 poses would be nice- I second Loki regarding the things spawning from the Mysterious Emissary as the emissary can summon them.

As for people not getting the first pose, I think of it as the changeling is revealing itself to it's victim- taking off the mask in that smug way that you know your victim/snack fell for the disguise and is now helpless.

2 hours ago, GOTH said:

Not like you're going to field all three of them... use the third (whichever you like least) to take a modeling risk and push yourself to create something unique

It depends- you can hire some and use the Mysterious Emissary to summon them every turn if there's enough scheme markers to keep yourself at three. 

5 hours ago, solkan said:

Before anyone else complains about the renders being oddly flipped, get out your Shifting Loyalties book and turn to page 157, the page with Changeling and its card on it.  Large image, the buttons are on the figure's left side; the small image on the card has the buttons on the figure's right side.

Naturally, the obvious explanation for why the creature's buttons are on the wrong side is that the otherwise fiendishly clever creature made a mistake, and was not aware of the historic shift in clothes making occurring during the 1850's and 1860's.  After all, from the accounts a quick web search pulls up, at the time of the first breach the button placement on clothing was about evenly distributed.  :tome

Thank you Solkan, for always being the life of the party.  And enlightening us of the historical accuracy of buttons placed on either side of the jacket :P  To be fair, most clothing probably isn't being mass produced or anything, and if it's hand man, I can guarantee you different people do it differently.  Hell even the same person might accidentally do it one way then the other (Or on a whim for that matter).

Btw, not trying to insult you, if this comes off as rude.  Just poking fun, because your comment seems really 'stick-in-the-mud' ish.

5 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

This is exactly how I feel. I'm incredibly happy they look so similar. It's what I expected. Perfect and awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on them. 

I am totally down with the identical-ness of it all.  That Deja Vu sort of creepy feeling they go for, I'm very ok with.  Although I agree the models are somewhat lacking, as many people have suggested.

However I have a suggestion that is not what others have been saying (I really don't feel like a female in the mix is the right solution, personally).

12 hours ago, zeeblee said:

The third is by far the best for active and sencical posing. The first is very static (is it Show and Tell and that's why he's posing with his mask?) I get thematically why they seem to have a stock form, but it would be nice to have more than just poses to differentiate them (like different masks). It would have also been great if one or two of them were girls.  Also, making at least one of them have more in common with the Mysterious Emmissary pod-changelings would have been nice.

Other than those nitpicks, these are great executions of the art, and will look great next to the other Neverborn children.

Thank you!  Zeeblee, I'm starting to think you're me.  You have exactly the impression I got looking at the render before I got to reading comments.  The thing that bothers me most is the mask all being the same.  The whole needing girls comment I'll ignore, because we all make mistakes sometimes :P

What I think would really set them off though, is if their masks were mirroring their actual expressions.  The first model, which is clearly the basis of the concept embodied, is doing this, simply holding it's mask to the side and revealing it's true face.  It has the same grin (Albeit slightly larger and with wicked teeth), and is simply presenting that "ohmygod" moment when the victim realizes just what is wrong with the picture (Or at least that should be what they're thinking if a little kid tore their face off like that).  It's great.

The second one would be vastly improved upon if it had some sickly-monster tongue coming out of the mouth licking the lollipop, and the mask, which represents the face it would normally present as a typical little boy, should have it's tongue out in a similar gesture of licking a lollipop.  But he's removed it, and you can see the truth of the picture and the reality.

The third then, would follow suit and simply have the mask cracking a slightly toothy smile.  A gentle full smile like a kid might while laughing, that mirrors the Changeling's chuckle smile.

Everything else about them is completely legit.  I just think the mask representing their respective Changelings would really liven up the models and set them right over the top.  At least for me, I would be completely in love with them.  The first one is already perfect, it's just the implementation on the second two that seems to have fallen a bit short.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tawg said:

Thank you Solkan, for always being the life of the party.  And enlightening us of the historical accuracy of buttons placed on either side of the jacket :P  To be fair, most clothing probably isn't being mass produced or anything, and if it's hand man, I can guarantee you different people do it differently.  Hell even the same person might accidentally do it one way then the other (Or on a whim for that matter).

Btw, not trying to insult you, if this comes off as rude.  Just poking fun, because your comment seems really 'stick-in-the-mud' ish.

Now I'm going to have to go back and edit in something like :tome:blast...B) or "This message brought to you by the Ad Hoc Committee for Changeling Clothing Choice AwarenessB)".   Because what I was trying to point out was:

1.  A lot of the artwork in the book gets flipped, probably to avoid having everything facing the same direction, so which of the changelings are flipped?

2.  Mr. Stetson started making his hats, Mr. Levi patented his jeans, and the collective decision concerning which side the buttons go on Western clothing all happened historically between the first breach opening (1787 - 1810) and the reopening (1910). 

Historical digression in the spoiler.

Spoiler

For the era, "different people do it differently" isn't going to be true for handmade clothing.  Because the first time they did it differently, there would be gasps, shock, and a bunch of scurrying around correcting the mistake.  As one of the explanations goes:  http://www.marquise.de/en/themes/linksrechts.shtml

Since female clothing took on more and more features of male clothing in order to express emancipation (a process that, I'd like to point out, most contemporaries were not aware of), it became necessary to establish a feature that signalled that an item of clothing was, despite its male appearance, nevertheless female. Otherwise someone could be led to believe that the lady wore a man's coat, a man's shirt etc., and use that as a a moral handhold against her since wearing the clothing of the opposite sex was immoral. The closer female clothing got to male clothing, the more important the "little difference" of buttoning became. At the end of the 20th century, the buttoning was often the only thing that differentiated a female blouse from a male shirt.

That distinction may not seem like a big deal today (depending on your social groups and background) and if I sat down to sew some pants for a costume today I'd probably have a 50-50 chance of getting the buttons backwards, but that period of time is when it all became a big deal due to the other events of the era.  The arbitrary choice got reinforced as mass production of clothes started, but the choice had already been made.

It's the time capsule effect of the two breaches that makes it really interesting, though.  Think of all of the poor Neverborn who not only have to deal with getting invaded by humans, but also have to deal with the fact that human fashion has shifted over the hundred years and now they're wearing the wrong clothes because their button are on the wrong side.  :o

• Like 2

The concept behind these models is really cool, and the first and third one (specially) work fairly well. But I think the majority here agrees that the second one is a poor implementation. The pose is really weird: static and dynamic at the same time. The legs, face and arms seem to be doing their own thing, making it difficult to know what's going on. I would also prefer more variety (the madnesses spoiled me :D ), but I can understand the sameness to be intentional.

In any case, I really hope that Wyrd will listen to the community once more as they did with the Large Arachnids. The concept is great, but it feels kind of unfinished. OTOH, copy & paste is the changellings theme...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shadowopal said:

I vote for this year's Miss model to be Miss Taken

A three pack of female Changelings.

This. Great idea and great name choice, too ;)

I am definitely disappointed as I would have preferred a bit more variety, like many people mentioned before me. It seems to be the trend lately (Gupps for example!) and it is a pity. Look at Crooligans, or Collodi's Marionettes for example, which are excellent and so different from each other! 
Perhaps there's still time for Wyrd to change this?

I actually really like that they're all very similar, because the blurb in Shifting Loyalties says something about their victims "seeing many children all with the same face." The middle one seems like it was disturbed while in the middle of pooping its diaper, took its mask off, and and said "oh you just made a bad mistake." haha

That said, I do like the middle one.