Euripedes, Old One Eye

Thatguy

Any thoughts, or wild speculation?

I'm hoping for a more straight forward beater play style. The art looks baller, I hope the model does too. 

Fluff wise it seems a bit weird that the anti-tyrant ice guy got corrupted by the Burning man. Interested to see how it plays out in the story.

download_20210811_122703.png

• Like 1

I'm very curious to see both how the master will work, and the story of how the ice guy got corrupted by the flame guy.

Game wise, I guess him being a beater is quite probable.

But the gore thing on the model might be more about his "haruspex" side. As in reading future from entrails.
I know current Euripides already has some "seer" vibes with intuition for instance, but maybe this one will get something out of killing models to reflect this way of looking into the future.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 1:38 PM, MajorUndead said:

But the gore thing on the model might be more about his "haruspex" side. As in reading future from entrails.
I know current Euripides already has some "seer" vibes with intuition for instance, but maybe this one will get something out of killing models to reflect this way of looking into the future.

I hope it's more in this direction. Currently he's one of my favorite masters in the game - even if playing against him makes my blood boil - I hope his new title is similarly surprising and involved.

2 minutes ago, Necrosage said:

Played Euripides against Rasputina. 

Was hilarious.

But I can't help feeling the gigants are lackluster compared to Euripides and Thoon.

Depends on how you use them. They can be great delivery vehicles for your other models with their Tree Trunk and Shattering Shove trigger. You can cover the entire length of the board if you have set up the delivery.

They are also no slouches on the defense. Not needing LOS to be able to toss rocks and automatically push people off objectives is clutch.

Plus being able to use Cave Drawings to prevent schemers from scheming in particular spots can be crucial.

They are your back line defense models and that makes them stand out a little less since they are being run into the fray or sent off schemeing, but they are just as important to have.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

The rune mechanic looks interesting.
Being able to be used to have some impact on either deck, add blast (to then do aetheric gaze a second time), or heal.

Avalanche will be pretty nice to move models without the ice pillars being in the way.

Absolute zero is an easy way to make ice pillars (but no double ice pillar like Euripides 1.0). On the other hand, being able to remove any markers within 2" of it, to make some burst heal is pretty good. And with the trigger to replace each markers by ice pillar, you could just consume pillars & replace them with new pillars, so you don't really loose your pillars.

The Kaltgeist might be a good piece too, giving slow, being able to count as an pillar for friendly models, and moving friendly models as a pulse around him + an ice pillar

Using the old ways often might be key here to maximize rune tokens.

Absolute zero next to two kalgeists means healing them for the same damage they get, placing 2 extra pillars and ofcourse healing every one arround.

This healing skill is really relevant as the crew use health as a resource itself.

If you pay atention to the skill, the heal is not at 4¨of the dropped market but any dropped market, does that include the markers  "created" by the trigger? since per the rules creates is like dropped but with extra restrictions (in fact you "create" an ice pillar so no doubt)? the healing area could be in the best scenario 8" arround the origial marker. for a really big amount of health since there is no limit.

Well, if old Euripides weakness was a lack of healing, this one sure makes up for it! Getting Frozen Vigor helps him use The Old Ways a bit less painfully, he can heal for pretty decent chunks with his melee attack and Absolute Zero can heal him and the gang decently. He seems much more like a front line tank now, able to trade hits and heal up.

He definitely won't be able to make as many Ice Pillars, though the Hoarfrost trigger will help you create a bunch in one area. Can help wall off a chokepoint or actually block sight from your chunky boys.

Aetheric Gaze seems very AP efficient if you can get an Ice Pillar near it (should be easy enough, just bonus action first if there isn't one) and gives him a decent threat range of around 20" (10 from him, 10 from the ice pillar by your target) which makes up for the fact that he lost his teleport a bit. Amusingly, old Euripides would probably prefer the ranged attack and this new one would prefer to be able to teleport in.

Avalanche seems a bit... just ok. I guess it can help you get your models through Ice Pillars if things get cramped but a TN13 Mv duel isn't the most threatening thing in the world. Situationally, it could be awesome, but most of the time I think I'd be using his other actions more.

Hepatomancy seems like it will be pretty good when fighting kicks off. You're getting a rune token every time a Savage model suffers damage, if things are going bad and you are taking hits, you'll get more of them to hopefully help sway duels in your favour.

The Kaltgeists seem quite interesting! Just having mobile Ice Pillars is great, should allow a lot of interesting interactions with the other Savage models.

The fact that they can hand out staggered kind of makes me want to pick them with Lyssas and Cyclops. The Lyssas will get a lot of ping damage it will make them more likely to get the Misdirected Rage trigger off their attack.  The Cyclops can targe the Kaltgeists with their bonus action to either unavoidably hand out staggered, scheme, heal or ping. With all that staggered going about, some of the Mv duels will actually become serious threats. Would change the crew a lot from a few big boys to more numerous smaller pieces. Not sure it would be good, but would be interesting to try out.

The only problem is finding room to fit them in. I feel Savage sometimes feels a bit cramped for hiring points with all the expensive units.

Agree with the kaltgeist interest. they also sinergize with euripides in that when you do damage to them to get more heal and ice pilars you get also rune tokens. Enabling a really agresive use of them. also they can move your crew a lot saving a lot of activations.

For example , 
start with 3 tokens (easy having people use the old ways)
aetheric gaze spend 2 tokens
triger aetheric gaze spend 1 token
Heal and damage 2 kaltgeists, get 2 tokens
triger aetheric gaze 
triger aetheric gaze 

Youll probably get 1 or 2  extra by using oldway with himself ( and getting it healed afterwards)
mess with enemy deck at least once.

Avalanche:

I see this skill extremely powerfull with the right setup. Means you can create a defensive wall close to the action area from where to hide a model, then you can throw that model forward for plenty of damage. placing staggered on you enemies enhance this a lot.

I just played a game last night on Vassal, Euripides Old One-Eye against Misaki, Fractured. The pool was:
Flank Symbols
Breakthrough, Research Mission, Let Them Bleed, Bait and Switch, Hidden Martyrs

Crews were:
Euripides, Old One-Eye
Primordial Magic
Thoon
The Damned
x2 Cyclops w/ Ancient Pact
x2 Gigants

Misaki, Fractured
Shang
Ototo
Jin Baccara
Minako Rei
Katanaka Crime Boss
x2 Torokage

Turn 1 Euripides avalanched a bunch of savages forward, which was great for unpacking since they just ignore everything when they push. I should have moved him up further though, there were several times where my savages were out range for getting runes and using Hepatomancy. Jin popped out on a Cyclops that had moved up, and put himself in a fantastic position to shoot darts at my guys and land shadow markers, which ended up being huge. Misaki is able to place enemy's close to shadows, so he kept moving my guys off of the symbols they were trying to protect. Also, Misaki was able to bury Ototo with 2 focus and pop him out on the bottom of the board, where he one rounded The Damned, which really hurt my scoring potential.
Euripides, Old One-Eye's Hepatomancy was AMAZING when I was in range to use it. I looked at his top 2 cards and dumped tons of severes before he attacked me or I attacked him, it enabled me to use old ways KNOWING that I would block the hit, forcing him to cheat or the attack failed. This kept up several models way longer than they normally would have. It gave me so much card value I had to intentionally focus on cheating my good cards to make things happen bc I was generating so much value I forgot about my hand lol. Also Euripides new bonus action can remove any number of ANY kind of marker to increase the heal. I didn't realize that until the end of the game, but with my opponent running research mission, I probably could have drastically shut down his scoring potential by using that ability more strategically. Regarding his rune generation, that happens a lot. Every time you old ways OR take damage in combat you get the runes. Turn 1 I was not really able to get any, but after that I was getting a ton. There is no restriction on getting runes (there is a max of 3), but you can only use the blood magic once per activation, so typically I would use blood magic right when I was attacked to fix my opponent's cards against them for both attacks, and use old ways to gain the rune back. Finally, Aetheric Gaze seems like it has real potential, being a solid gun that can bounce off of pillars. You can also use his bonus to place a pillar in the ideal location before you shoot. I tried it several times this game but not to any great effect.
On the most recent Third Floor Wars there was a Savage deep dive (patreon only currently). I decided to try double cyclops to try and make sure there were still plenty of Ice Pillars on the board, but that was probably 1 more than I needed. I do remember how I used to like the cyclops though, and they will make my lists in the future. They are great for utility: they can block off strategy markers with their 2" melee, and place pillars 12" away. Gigants as always were amazing for me, their ability to teleport to ice pillars 8" away was how I was finally able to catch up on strategy points. I probably should have brought a Geryon to deal with Ototo and generally wreak havoc. Also there was a point where I could get Thoon into Minako Rei and her Katashiro. I always think frozen trophy with him. In this case however, I had to attack the Katashiro bc Minako had another one nearby in case I trophy'd anything, so I should have just used my focus to hit it for 6 damage and kill it outright.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Used Meatfist for the first time earlier today, he is insane. Hepatomancy is absurdly powerful, you basically force your opponent to cheat their first attack against any given model, and with Inhuman Reflexes that can mean only 1 attack. His built in trigger on the gun is also nuts, touching support staff way in the back is so absurd, I killed Shojo and a Tanuki T1.

Kaltgeist are the real deal. There is so much value in these 5ss bois. 3" pushes and counting as a Pillar for Frozen vigor is really, really good, but combine their bonus with Hepatomancy for some serious offensive deck manipulation.

I really didn't like Eur1 despite how cool he looks, but Meatfist is so good it makes me want to learn the play patterns for 1. This title is giving Newkima some serious competition for my favorite, definitely need more games with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roadhouse said:

Used Meatfist for the first time earlier today, he is insane. Hepatomancy is absurdly powerful, you basically force your opponent to cheat their first attack against any given model, and with Inhuman Reflexes that can mean only 1 attack. His built in trigger on the gun is also nuts, touching support staff way in the back is so absurd, I killed Shojo and a Tanuki T1.

Kaltgeist are the real deal. There is so much value in these 5ss bois. 3" pushes and counting as a Pillar for Frozen vigor is really, really good, but combine their bonus with Hepatomancy for some serious offensive deck manipulation.

I really didn't like Eur1 despite how cool he looks, but Meatfist is so good it makes me want to learn the play patterns for 1. This title is giving Newkima some serious competition for my favorite, definitely need more games with him.

Good to see the gun does work, I had Euripides too far back my game and I paid for it lol. I have to try kaldgheist in my next game, he seems like he may more potential with original Euripides since he can get shoved 10” up the board. The blood magic is the real deal, it’s so powerful and with old ways it’s really easy to do it every activation practically