New Sonia Title

Thatguy

10 minutes ago, Avatar of Butter said:

Oh? I have them both filed under "luxury-cost utility minion" in my head. Guild Mage comes with marker removal, healing, and enemy movement, Spell Eater is focused on spreading Burning, both have Transmutation. Am I missing something?

I agree with you on everything after the first sentence.  Spell eaters is tough and spreads ping damage. That's the reason you are buying them.  Guild mages are squish, and marker removal/ranged marker place, a little control move, and the heal is the big thing.   

To me those are two completely different roles to play.  Yes they are both luxury cost minions but you are taking them to do very different things.  The only thing I see about them being similar is they both dissuade enemies from discarding for counterspell and other abilities.

• 1 month later...

Have a question about sonnia's flame burst. If I have them drop as pyer markers, can I place them so they are directly under the model I target? Since that is in base contact. Also I assume that if I drop two due to max damage they'd both have to be in base contact with the target model. 

Screenshot_20211115-111354_Gallery.jpg

Yes and yes. Refer to pg28 of the rulebook.

As a Drop, it notes that they can be put into base contact of even under a model's base without issue (assuming they are not noted as impassable - that would be a Create instead).

Normally you cannot Create a marker next to a model unless than model is creating it, unless otherwise specified (this specifies) as per the second bullet point of Create. However this is specifically a Drop as it's Hazardous (and Severe)

All would need to be at least in base contact

If you drop more than one they have to be in contact with each other. The first blast has to be in base contact with the target. The second and subsequent blast markers has to be in base contact with another blast marker, but not necessarily the target. So if you have three blast, you can hit something just under 6" away from the target. 

I've been looking and new cards and realised that i completely missed this awesome new enforcer fromd Dashel box. 

IMG_20211124_000646.thumb.jpg.c6908512e5faa537b29a6b57ab045e70.jpg

I think that it could work well with both titled and untitled version. It stacks burning good, has a push for witchlings and is unaffected by pyre markers. I feel like this model is unironically has better synergy with sonnia than most of her crew. Friendly fire could be a problem. Also, eight stones for some burning and a push is a lot, one the other hand, it's just one stone more than handler, who's worse at both of those things. 

What do you guys think about it? 

47 minutes ago, RiceP. said:

I've been looking and new cards and realised that i completely missed this awesome new enforcer fromd Dashel box. 

IMG_20211124_000646.thumb.jpg.c6908512e5faa537b29a6b57ab045e70.jpg

I think that it could work well with both titled and untitled version. It stacks burning good, has a push for witchlings and is unaffected by pyre markers. I feel like this model is unironically has better synergy with sonnia than most of her crew. Friendly fire could be a problem. Also, eight stones for some burning and a push is a lot, one the other hand, it's just one stone more than handler, who's worse at both of those things. 

What do you guys think about it? 

handler have better support if you use thrall, and will survive longer. DCU is better for offensive except against fast teams. Getting an expert marksman seems expensive to ignre friendly fire. Funny trick : a dog summoned in Sonnia 2 will give a soulstone if he gets burning 2 before being killed

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 11:16 PM, le_wahou said:

handler have better support if you use thrall, and will survive longer. DCU is better for offensive except against fast teams. Getting an expert marksman seems expensive to ignre friendly fire. Funny trick : a dog summoned in Sonnia 2 will give a soulstone if he gets burning 2 before being killed

You cannot summon from DCU since your declared faction is Witch Hunter and Dogs are Guard minions.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 7:04 PM, Blainetrain said:

Super new to malifaux, trying to pick my first crew and have been looking into sonnia. This new version makes me want to throw a pile of witchlings at people a lot.

My first game with this Sonnia is tonight.  Only 30ss, so options are limited, so this is my plan: load up on Witchlings and throw them at the enemy and see what happens!

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a half dozen games of Unmasked under my belt now and am starting to get the hang of her. Against an opponent who respects her she's a potent control piece with a wide variety of tools at her disposal. And of course if the opponent doesn't respect her, well, it's still Sonnia.

She's got decent durability even without LLC - I'm happy to spend stones with her knowing that I can generate them back quite easily, and between Confiscated Lore and all the incidental Drain Magic discards my oponents are top decking much of the turn.

She's got a lot of mobility in keyword though I've brought Dr. Grimwell and a Guardian to buff her personal movement, and I often stone for the mask on Confiscated Lore. I really like the Witchling Handler for the movement buffs, and Sam Hopkins and the Purifying Flame make a great flanking team.

Her keyword has a lot of good tech. Thalarian Quellers are going to make any ss using alpha piece think twice about diving, especially if you can force their target selection and turn off triggers. Spelleaters are awesome buff pieces - in corner especially you can push two models forward with Sonnia and have spelleaters turn the Burning into Focus+2 and it's just neat - and they can pivot to putting out a surprising amount of hurt, to the point it's hard not to hire two of them.

I could go on but suffice it to say Witch Hunter is one of those keywords where I always run out of stones before I run out of choices. This is only compounded by it being the only keyword where I consistently consider every Guild upgrade as viable.

Things I'm struggling with; not a lot of resource generation. I can cycle cards, sure, but I don't draw them except sometimes with Grimwell. It's fine (see above for how I put my opponent in similar straights) but there are a decent number of tns and discard effects to budget for so it's something to keep in mind.

Friendly burning generation, after turn 2 it's hard to get burning out for Sonnia to capitalize on. I need to work on where I'm placing my pyre markers, and on remembering that my models don't treat them as severe! 😛

I also need to remember Enraged by the Mage. Being able to capitalize on every bad card I stacked with CL is important and I often forget this option.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I could go on but suffice it to say Witch Hunter is one of those keywords where I always run out of stones before I run out of choices. This is only compounded by it being the only keyword where I consistently consider every Guild upgrade as viable.

I'm finding this is very true for Unmasked.  Much moreso than for the original.

So much so that I really miss not having a summon! 

I want Sonnia to get a Witchling-summoning Enforcer so that I can spend all the stones on the support pieces, then bring in the Witchlings to smash face!

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

I'm finding this is very true for Unmasked.  Much moreso than for the original.

So much so that I really miss not having a summon! 

I want Sonnia to get a Witchling-summoning Enforcer so that I can spend all the stones on the support pieces, then bring in the Witchlings to smash face!

The errata really helped. And I haven't even gotten my mages and gunners yet...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just played my first in person 3e tournament, took second which was good because I'd carved the wooden spoon myself and didn't want to bring it back home with me. I soloed Unmasked all three rounds which is why I'm posting it here.

Round One

Deployment: (Ram) Standard
Strat: (Crow) Turf War

2 - Detonate Charges
4 - Assassinate
8 - Catch and Release
10 - Outflank
11 - Research Mission

I took;
BBQ Time! (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Sonnia Criid, Unmasked
    Lead-Lined Coat
Totem(s):
  Purifying Flame
Hires:
  Samael Hopkins
    Lead-Lined Coat
  Spelleater
  Spelleater 2
  Witchling Handler
  Witchling Stalker
  Pathfinder

vs. a Ulix2 crew with Ophelia second master. The board was full of forest pieces and a big ol' river. I was the defender, I had my opponent deploy the Ophelia half first, he stuck her on one flank. I deployed everything on the opposite flank. I took Assassinate and Research Mission and won 7-3 as I basically blew up anything that tried to cross the river and kept hiding from Ophelia behind Dense forests.

Round Two

Deployment: (Crow) Corner
Strat: (Mask) Break the Line

1 - Breakthrough
2 - Detonate Charges
5 - Claim Jump
6 - Hidden Martyrs
9 - Let Them Bleed

I took;

The Red 'uns Go Faster (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Sonnia Criid, Unmasked
    Lead-Lined Coat
Totem(s):
  Purifying Flame
Hires:
  Samael Hopkins
    Lead-Lined Coat
  Orderly
  Orderly 2
  Sanctioned Spellcaster
  Sanctioned Spellcaster 2
  Thalarian Queller
  Spelleater

vs. Viks2 with the usual suspects (Midnight Stalker, Ronin w/Wanted Criminal, etc.)

I took Hidden Martyrs on the Queller and Spelleater, and Detonate Charges. We tied 3-3. I could have won, but top of turn two he dove Viks in (big surprise) and I let myself get suckered into trying to kill her. It didn't work obviously. At the end of turn three she had 13 burning and I had to remove it with the Queller to score Detonate. I also made a couple positioning errors that cost me a second point on the strat. It didn't help that I couldn't win initiative to save my soul, but that's pass tokens for you.

Round 3

Deployment: (Tome) Flank
Strat: (Ram) Corrupted Ley Lines

3 - Vendetta
6 - Hidden Martyrs
7 - Death Beds
12 - Spread Them Out
13 - Bait and Switch

This was a weird one. I'd intended to take Phiona Gage and give her the lodestone to claim the center marker turn 1, toss it back turn 2, but the center marker was surrounded by these impassable, destructible walls so I switched things up and took;

A Curious Burning Sensation (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Sonnia Criid, Unmasked
    Lead-Lined Coat
Totem(s):
  Purifying Flame
Hires:
  Samael Hopkins
    Lead-Lined Coat
  Spelleater
  Thalarian Queller
  Guardian
  Alan Reid

vs. Lady J1 and Guild "good stuff" (Pale, Lone, Domador, Steward, LLC on J, I think the only mild surprise was Grimwell but he's fast so I get it).

We drew again! This time it was 5-5. I scored 2 on Vendetta (Sam-Pale) and 1 on Death Beds as I finally battered J to death turn 5. Mostly I can't figure out where I went wrong with this one. I did a good job kiting and picking his crew apart piecemeal, limiting angles of fire from those long guns, Alan Reid single handedly kept J out of the fight until turn 4. Sonnia killing the Steward bottom of three might have been a bad call, he was obviously a Martyrs target but my brain was shot by that point in the day. So shot I left a point of burning on Alan for three turns when Sonnia could have used it at any time and kept him alive.

The big swing point was I started the Purifying Flame with the ball, claimed the center marker as planned bottom of 1, but half way through 2 I figured instead of pulling back to claim the far objective on my half, I'd spread some burning and push into his half to claim his far objective, force at least the Pale to double back if he wanted to deal with me, and if I died I'd pass the ball to an unactivated Spelleater able to claim the marker in my home corner.

It worked in that both the Pale and J had to pull back to kill the Flame, I claimed my home marker, but then he was able to jam up my lines of approach to the third marker and hold me to two strat points. If I'd taken Martyrs I think I would have won outright - probably the Flame and the Spelleater. 

Anyway, all in all it was three really fun games on very full boards in a gorgeous game store (shout out to The Forge in Chaska, MN). Now I feel I can stop soloing Sonnia and pivot to Journalist for a while.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Cranky Old Man said:

Everyone seems to  be taking Samael. I thought he was seen as subpar and not worth 9 ss?

What does he bring to Sonnia 2?

I'm no expert, but a 6 move, unimpeded model that can move three times unlocks so much scoring potential. Between him and the purifying flame, I find Sonnia to have heaps of scoring power.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I wouldn't discount the gun one the first couple of turns. Being able to move 6-12" and still shoot 2-3 shots to get Burning out (particularly if you hit the Ricochet trigger) or just ping damage. He can also dish out decent damage in melee if the enemy has Burning (although this is like Plan C).

Agree with @Maniacal_cackle though in that the main thing he brings is Mv6, Unimpeded & Creep Along.