You got what you wanted. Colette nerfed into oblivion

eddy

Not sure nerfing nearly every thing on her card was nesesary. What do you think?

Colette Du Bois ° Df Stat changed from 5t to 5 .

° Sword Trick range reduced from 3" to 2", damage track removed for flat 3 damage, and unbury is in base contact with Marker.

° Showstopper changed to Unbury in base contact with a Performer and the p is only created when Unburying from Showstopper with range reduced from p3" to p2".

° Illusionist range reduced by from a6" to a4".

° Presto-ChangoTN changed from 13m to 14 and the friendly model must be a Performer within 8" of both Colette and the target.

° Mv Stat reduced from 6 to 5.

° Trick of that Hat now a r Trigger and no longer replaces the Dropped Marker.

• Agree 2

Everyone should also note that Focused was nerfed and Distracted was buffed, which is very good for the Performer keyword.

Focused: Add the following text: “Models cannot have more than Focused +2 at any time. Canceled by Distracted.”

It mentions elsewhere that +1 Distracted will cancel out +1 Focused, and vice versa. So if you have two distracted and take the Concentrate action, you end up with one distracted and no :+flipto your duel.

Yes, Colette was heavily, heavily nerfed but she is probably not in the dumpster.

Edit: also check almost every other Master that was considered top tier. Von Schtook, Yan Lo, Dreamer, McCabe, Levi, all of Guild (lol) through Phiona etc. got nerfed as well. While none of them got as hit as hard as the presto-chango nerf, none of them got as much of a buff from the distracted changes.

Now excluding Explorers (who are probably going to dominate competitive even more now) most of Colette's competition have been lowered as well, so the nerf is not as bad relatively.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

Yes, 

Looking over the, considerable, Colette nerf was initially a bit of a blow, she's my favourite Master, has been since 1st ed.

But the buff to Distracted and nerf to Focus should really help her keyword, which tbh I prefer, I'd like the Showgirls in there entirety to be a force to be reckoned with, not Colette and a couple of understudies with some versatile. Want to see it on the table, I'm most worried about her losing huge volumes of survivability when all the nerfs are taken as a whole, can she get as close as she now needs to and then manage to survive/escape, I think she should be OK if carefully managed but not certain.

Also as Jinn pointed out really all the top tier (non-Explorer) models and masters bot the massage down therapy, which is good, the game should strive for variability without overpowered dominance. 

Which brings us to Explorers. Obviously a new faction, released so recently that no adjustment was incoming. Hopefully they already had the Eratta nerfs in mind when considering the Explorers power base, but who knows. I know that Explorers are dominating the meta conversation right now and A Wyrd Place is alight with salt concerning them. I'm hoping that the current tilt of the meta is associated mainly with the newness of Explorers and as folks explore them they will discover the flaws and exploits to break the new Explorer crews down. But we shall see, would be very unfortunate if the post-Covid tournaments were totally dominated by Explorers, not simply in number - which as newness is expected, but in terms of podium (particularly if these podium placements are not even close).

I'm hoping my darling mistress of the stage and curtain is still the tricksy little deceiver she always was and meant to be and she and her crew remain a real threat, we shall see.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Check the salt in the other (non-Explorer) forums. Every forum has a "they nerfed the best master in faction way to much" post.

Everyone take a deep breath. Consider where Colette fits in relation not to other factions but within our faction. I'm considering it now. How has the new errata upset and changed my view of model value within our faction, who will I take, when and for what.

Pretty safe in saying that Colette pre-nerf was the consensus best Arcanist master, other than specific counters she was a solid crew take into anything. What about now? She has clearly gone down, but where does she place? Is she top 1 or 2 (still awesome) in the top 50% (good, fine, acceptable), bottom 50% (sad, my princess falls from favour) or is she now in the underground dungeon as likely to see action as Ramos (in an actual fictional dungeon) when compared to her Arcanist colleagues?

Ultimately, I'm hoping Arcanists are first and foremost still a viable and competitive faction, then I'm hoping that all the models within the faction have a time and place to shine, then I'm hoping my favourite Masters (Colette, Hoffman and Rasputina) can step up to the line and fight for justice.

So can Colette still stand tall among the Arcanists as a Master with a place at the table and voice in the resistance?

• Like 1

I'm curious about the Magical Training nerf to being living-only, does that significantly impact us?  I feel like I was mostly taking it on living models already.

What do we all think about our other unit that got nerfed, Sparks?  Pack with Explosives being gutted 100% removes him from my Mei team, as giving out that upgrade was about the only thing he could reliably do well without getting nuked from orbit.

25 minutes ago, retnab said:

I'm curious about the Magical Training nerf to being living-only, does that significantly impact us?  I feel like I was mostly taking it on living models already.

What do we all think about our other unit that got nerfed, Sparks?  Pack with Explosives being gutted 100% removes him from my Mei team, as giving out that upgrade was about the only thing he could reliably do well without getting nuked from orbit.

Edit: Sorry I got confused between magical training and ss cache, ignore me.

7 minutes ago, retnab said:

from what ive seen most put magical training on soulstone miner, so they can safely keep arcane reservoir out of danger

also "our unit [arcanists]" sparks? no, sparks is property of the bayou keep yer grubby mits off my stuff, hes not *just* a worse version, many people had massive issues with the old upgrade so hes just alot different

6 minutes ago, retnab said:

If I had to guess, the intent was 'stop taking this on SS Miners' but changing it to 'living-only' was the polite way to say that.

7 minutes ago, retnab said:

I'm mainly a Mei player, who hadn't gotten a chance to try Sparks yet. Seems like his whole kit got changed around. No explosives (well, only a pale shadow left), scrapyard mines got nerfed, can't burn out for fast anymore or shield as a bonus action... But he did become a Henchman, which means you can invest stones into keeping him alive now. Shielding the Golem (stoning for the new explosives trigger if necessary) obeying it, then having an AP left over seems at least worth playing around with?

17 minutes ago, touchdown said:

I think this was a needed nerf to the Mechanical Rider. Getting re-activates starting on turn 2 could not have been intended. Also made it nigh-on unkillable.

Are you thinking soulstone cache? That can still be taken.

Magical training is the one that increases hand size.

Rider was nerfed so you can't reactive a model that costs more than 8.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, NoisyAssassin said:

If I had to guess, the intent was 'stop taking this on SS Miners' but changing it to 'living-only' was the polite way to say that.

I'm mainly a Mei player, who hadn't gotten a chance to try Sparks yet. Seems like his whole kit got changed around. No explosives (well, only a pale shadow left), scrapyard mines got nerfed, can't burn out for fast anymore or shield as a bonus action... But he did become a Henchman, which means you can invest stones into keeping him alive now. Shielding the Golem (stoning for the new explosives trigger if necessary) obeying it, then having an AP left over seems at least worth playing around with?

Ahh yep didn't think of SS Miners but that'll do it lol.

As for Sparks, he's always been stupid fragile with multiple short range effects that want you to put him in the enemy's face.  That's better with him being a Henchman, but I'm not sure burning stones was the difference between him being worth or not.  Plus what I was bringing him for before was 99% giving out Fast and making Mei and the Golem blast back onto enemies daring to attack them in melee, and with those options gone I'm not seeing it.  At the moment the best value I can see with him is taking him with Mech Rider or Envy to make them do more dakka, I'll have to try it out and see.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, retnab said:

Ahh yep didn't think of SS Miners but that'll do it lol.

As for Sparks, he's always been stupid fragile with multiple short range effects that want you to put him in the enemy's face.  That's better with him being a Henchman, but I'm not sure burning stones was the difference between him being worth or not.  Plus what I was bringing him for before was 99% giving out Fast and making Mei and the Golem blast back onto enemies daring to attack them in melee, and with those options gone I'm not seeing it.  At the moment the best value I can see with him is taking him with Mech Rider or Envy to make them do more dakka, I'll have to try it out and see.

Yea its too soon for me to call it a buff or a nerf, just a rework. I always suspected Wyrd didnt intend for you to just load your crew with bombs. Interestingly, sparks is able to Command your non-Constructs. Maybe that helps Willie out? 

• Like 1

Honestly, I feel like these changes are pretty fair.

Reactivate went away for a reason in M3E. Having such a powerful ability on Mech Rider was bound to create issues sooner or later. It's still exceptionally powerful IMO.

I think we should be thankful that Sandeep got away unscathed thanks to the nerf to Kandara (summon nerf excluding). Card draw seems to have gotten hit across the board, and rightfully so. The replacement ability is still useful and falls more in line with the effectiveness of the other Mantras.

Likewise, I think the change to Magical Training was really just addressing the soulstone miner interaction. Instead of nerfing the miner, we got a bit stricter with this upgrade. Seems fitting as we already have a "construct" specific upgrade, now we have a living one as well.

Then we get to the big one with Colette. It was obvious this was coming. We just didn't know how hard it was going to hit her. My gut reaction is that she's still in contention as top arcanist. Giving her more direct synergy within her keyword is only a good thing in my mind. Presto is probably the biggest change to her card but even that got a little compensation with the loss of a required suit and a better trigger. I also appreciate the change to a ram as tomes should now be a bit more coveted for her defense. As others have pointed out, distracted got a bit of a buff. Now she'll need to rely more on distracted and less on bury, which feels right to me.  

With everyone else's boogymen getting equally cut down (explorers excluded for now), I don't think we'll really even miss her old card. Hopefully this allows for a bit more diversity amongst the rest of the masters. 

Now with the big bads out of the picture, hopefully we can focus on bringing up some of the stragglers (looking at you December)

• Agree 5

My opponents hardly attacked colette anyway, maybe now - without build in trigger- she will be able use her defense trigger at all. 

i really look forward to play performers in keyword, handing out distracted like candy, use shockwaves to counter blasphemous rituals and hopefully exploit the doves to an really annoying extend. 

12 hours ago, eddy said:

Not sure nerfing nearly every thing on her card was nesesary. What do you think?

Colette Du Bois ° Df Stat changed from 5t to 5 .

° Sword Trick range reduced from 3" to 2", damage track removed for flat 3 damage, and unbury is in base contact with Marker.

° Showstopper changed to Unbury in base contact with a Performer and the p is only created when Unburying from Showstopper with range reduced from p3" to p2".

° Illusionist range reduced by from a6" to a4".

° Presto-ChangoTN changed from 13m to 14 and the friendly model must be a Performer within 8" of both Colette and the target.

° Mv Stat reduced from 6 to 5.

° Trick of that Hat now a r Trigger and no longer replaces the Dropped Marker.

not agreed with dmg nerf-it was oly one dmg from her

and they didnt give her something instead of it-built in crows on melee for example

10 hours ago, Jinn said:

Everyone should also note that Focused was nerfed and Distracted was buffed, which is very good for the Performer keyword.

Focused: Add the following text: “Models cannot have more than Focused +2 at any time. Canceled by Distracted.”

It mentions elsewhere that +1 Distracted will cancel out +1 Focused, and vice versa. So if you have two distracted and take the Concentrate action, you end up with one distracted and no :+flipto your duel.

Yes, Colette was heavily, heavily nerfed but she is probably not in the dumpster.

Edit: also check almost every other Master that was considered top tier. Von Schtook, Yan Lo, Dreamer, McCabe, Levi, all of Guild (lol) through Phiona etc. got nerfed as well. While none of them got as hit as hard as the presto-chango nerf, none of them got as much of a buff from the distracted changes.

Now excluding Explorers (who are probably going to dominate competitive even more now) most of Colette's competition have been lowered as well, so the nerf is not as bad relatively.

dreamer was not nerfed at all

he cannt summon stitched, but widow veawer did it better with 2 wicked dolls from start, stitches themself was not nerf, serena didnt lose demise and still can heal almost the same, madness didnt lose scatter and remove focuses without opposed, create web is still DROP, summon still come on the field when they are needed from bury

• Haha 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

6 hours ago, dancater said:

Yes, 

Looking over the, considerable, Colette nerf was initially a bit of a blow, she's my favourite Master, has been since 1st ed.

But the buff to Distracted and nerf to Focus should really help her keyword, which tbh I prefer, I'd like the Showgirls in there entirety to be a force to be reckoned with, not Colette and a couple of understudies with some versatile. Want to see it on the table, I'm most worried about her losing huge volumes of survivability when all the nerfs are taken as a whole, can she get as close as she now needs to and then manage to survive/escape, I think she should be OK if carefully managed but not certain.

Also as Jinn pointed out really all the top tier (non-Explorer) models and masters bot the massage down therapy, which is good, the game should strive for variability without overpowered dominance. 

Which brings us to Explorers. Obviously a new faction, released so recently that no adjustment was incoming. Hopefully they already had the Eratta nerfs in mind when considering the Explorers power base, but who knows. I know that Explorers are dominating the meta conversation right now and A Wyrd Place is alight with salt concerning them. I'm hoping that the current tilt of the meta is associated mainly with the newness of Explorers and as folks explore them they will discover the flaws and exploits to break the new Explorer crews down. But we shall see, would be very unfortunate if the post-Covid tournaments were totally dominated by Explorers, not simply in number - which as newness is expected, but in terms of podium (particularly if these podium placements are not even close).

I'm hoping my darling mistress of the stage and curtain is still the tricksy little deceiver she always was and meant to be and she and her crew remain a real threat, we shall see.

not all masters that need a nerf get it-like shenlong, ophelia, dashel

1 minute ago, Plaag said:

dreamer was not nerfed at all

he cannt summon stitched, but widow veawer did it better with 2 wicked dolls from start, stitches themself was not nerf, serena didnt lose demise and still can heal almost the same, madness didnt lose scatter and remove focuses without opposed, create web is still DROP, summon still come on the field when they are needed from bury

I thought you thought the best thing about Dreamer was Lucid Dreams? Now half the cards are lost every turn.

4 hours ago, retnab said:

yes-u cannt give it elemental, construct and beast(and we have most of models in faction with this characteristic), so i see now 2 models for this up-silent one and initiate

4 hours ago, retnab said:

bombs was strong, but i think they dont need to remove it at all, and sparks now become almost useless in each faction