2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for April!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

I've been absolutely blown away with how well everyone has responded to the extra monthly challenge these last few months, so I present to you:

The Highlander Challenge!

8m8jBe9.jpg

Paint a single Malifaux miniature in the month of April, using only one brush, of size 1 or greater.

For some of you, this will be easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. For some of you, it'll be stressed-depressed-lemon-zest.

Have a fantastic April, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For April, I will pledge 3 Dead Outlaws (primed), 3 Hanged (primed), 3 Drowned (base coats done), and 3 Crooked Men (nearing completion). Yep - April will be a month of torment!

VTOZlJL.jpg

For the Highlander Challenge, if I don't paint one of my tormented with the #1 (with a Rosemary & Co, Series 33 being my weapon of choice), then I'm sure I'll find something to paint.

Oh, and I'm hoping to finish this guy:

JJDt5x0.jpg

Caedrus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Caedrus said:

Paint a single Malifaux miniature in the month of April, using only one brush, of size 1 or greater.

Um... Where's the challenge? ;)

No, really, everybody who hasn't done yet get yourself a good brush (most 10$+Kolinsky Sable brushes should fall in this category, I mostly use Windsor&Newton Series 7 long and Raphael Series 8404 (prefer Series 8408 over the later)) (see here for example: https://www.fauxhammer.com/top-10/top-10-best-brushes-for-painting-miniatures-2019/#The_10_Best_Brushes_for_Painting_Miniatures_Wargames_Models or here: https://tactilehobby.com/best-paint-brushes-for-miniatures/).

I really improved my painting to the next level when I switched from GW and cheapish to good brushes and I nowadays use a single Raphael 8404 size 2 for almost everything. If you have a good brush, you can do details way better than with any cheap 10/0 brush as the tip of the brush is by far better and the bodyis still able to keep some color for actual painting (compared to just stippling with those cheap brushes). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'll paint alt Candy using only a kolinsky #4 oil brush (davinci brand I guess but I chopped the long tail a while ago, so I'm not sure)... and I'll use oil only.  Since it's oil, I'll have to cheat a little and also use a old fading brush...

• Like 2

It's April, and that means that hard turn into Explorers I mentioned. Ivan's Core, Dirty Work, Wanderlust, the Rex, and a Ramone I hadn't gotten to previously are all on the table. Guess we'll see how many of them I get to. Going to be playing a lot with light and shadow with the DUA/Umbra, that much is certain.

large.20210330_214748.jpg.5d649e5f20a5b1b86dca008b812a006a.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

It's April, and that means that hard turn into Explorers I mentioned. Ivan's Core, Dirty Work, Wanderlust, the Rex, and a Ramone I hadn't gotten to previously are all on the table. Guess we'll see how many of them I get to. Going to be playing a lot with light and shadow with the DUA/Umbra, that much is certain.

large.20210330_214748.jpg.5d649e5f20a5b1b86dca008b812a006a.jpg

Gotta love the Alpinist being sideways on its rock :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Strangleloveis'nt joking I was a huge Highlander fan and I loved the name Connor, so now you know!

I'm going to finish the rest of the King's Empire Calvary for April (really starting to hate them). I need to get back to Malifaux, I have to pick out an unpainted crew and start assembling.  

The Highlander challenge shouldn't be too hard as I can't see small details anyhow.

• Like 1

The one brush thingie includes the base? Because I'll ruin my W&N if I apply pigments to the base with it or do drybrush to the final result... And can we use the airbrush along with the brush?

Well, this is my pledge for April.

QrCdufT.jpg

I was planning on painting the whole Apex keyword, except the Miley Cyrus Rex, and stay in the 70-80SS frame (or around 12 miniatures), but I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able since the last two months I managed doing it by painting the gamins, which are pretty straightforward. So, I'm gonna start with the Lord Cooper's Core Box and let's see if I can do more before the month is over.

@Engorn, I wouldn't ask a painter to sacrifice a trusted brush to drybrushing, nor metallics, but on the other hand, airbrush does make the challenge a little less challenging! Is there a miniature in your painting queue that doesn't need drybrushing, metallics, nor airbrush? Now, there's a challenge! 😊

1 hour ago, Caedrus said:

@Engorn, I wouldn't ask a painter to sacrifice a trusted brush to drybrushing, nor metallics, but on the other hand, airbrush does make the challenge a little less challenging! Is there a miniature in your painting queue that doesn't need drybrushing, metallics, nor airbrush? Now, there's a challenge! 😊

I guess I can paint either Uller or Artemis with the brush... Basecoating them with the brush when I can do it quickly with the airbrush sounds annoying... 😅 Or, well... I guess it can be done with one of the runaways.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:54 AM, Caedrus said:

Paint a single Malifaux miniature in the month of April, using only one brush

If it really was a Highlander challenge wouldn't it have to be: Paint a single Malifaux miniature in the month of April, using only one head
So, no spare parts or brain-in-a-jar for us Rezzers. 

4 minutes ago, Harlekin said:

If it really was a Highlander challenge wouldn't it have to be: Paint a single Malifaux miniature in the month of April, using only one head
So, no spare parts or brain-in-a-jar for us Rezzers. 

I choosed Alt Candy especially because of the highlander theme 😀

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Viruk said:

Hey, looks like spring has settled in finally. I'm declaring these two for the beginning of April and the smaller one will likely be painted with one-brush-only :) 

painters-challenge-April2021-WIP.jpg

C'mon... The Emissary painted with a 00 would be epic 🤣

On 4/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, Viruk said:

Hey, looks like spring has settled in finally. I'm declaring these two for the beginning of April and the smaller one will likely be painted with one-brush-only :) 

painters-challenge-April2021-WIP.jpg

God! How I hated painting the emissary and how I loved painting the effigy...

• Like 1

Hi there!  i managed to paint minako this weekend for 8SS.

Used a nº1 brush, have been using it for a while, and the tip is a bit messed up, so at the end i'm glad i picked a mini with no eyes XD

I spread the glue for the base with a toothpick, does it break the rules of the 1 brush challenge?

zOLtEXm.jpgWS4QFx7.jpg

So April pledge is complete, hopefully i might paint some more mali minis during the month, still don't know what :D

• Like 6