2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - November

Caedrus

On 11/14/2020 at 8:08 AM, Caedrus said:

Caedrus, checking in!

So, I have added a second objective to this month. I found a super-cheap built-and-based eBay rescue, and immediately said "Yes, Caedrus, this would be an ideal small testbed for some NMM techniques that you've never tried before". Of course. So, after a coat of ScaleColor 'Peanut Butter', I had this...

image.thumb.png.4e2e9074e02668a5b9bc340d9e6981b8.pngย image.thumb.png.410808538c3f56e7974b391f9b8aa798.png 7.27 MB ยท 0 downloads

...and, a little bit later, here's the work-in-progress of the Golem, and Arik:

image.thumb.png.931a70045570de15dfaf4ee6e34f0e31.pngimage.thumb.png.92a777cd3b74691c77fff1ae19485198.png

The statue head on Iron-Arik will be repainted into a pale marble / Ivory colour. The blue is very pretty, but it makes the base too intense and distracting.

I have also been messing with a few other ideas, so this has come into the mix:

image.thumb.png.fe47f3ea8811c26ea49f3e0348897b9b.png

But these guys are in early development.

There are some awesome pieces in the works for this month - I'm loving watching everyone's projects!

@Purple Mist: The best way I have found to do running water is with a combination of Vallejo Still Water OR Vallejo Water Effects gel. However, the real secret is ... fishing line! Have a read though this link.

Have a great November, everyone!

Caedrus.

Your Arik has some spidermans shocker feel, nice colors by the way๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Magnus said:

@Caedrusย Here's my November pledge complete: 3x Newsie (12ss), Allison Dade (8ss), Undercover Reporter (7ss) and a poor little Lucky Effigy (4ss) that's been half painted for months. That makes 31ss total, I may do more but we'll see.ย  Thanks again to @Strangleloveย for taking the pictures.

XnMaqZe.jpg

Han66PH.jpg

l10h3OL.jpg

vdgl6xH.jpg

Nice journalists, with my schedule update I think I can make it snd paint some journalists too

Pandora and Candy.......

IMG_20201118_155445.thumb.jpg.6ec1ecbdc05ecf6fab488abc6e59b496.jpgIMG_20201118_155510.thumb.jpg.0cc4d4f9fa803cd4deadf5cf146c34b3.jpg

IMG_20201118_155700.thumb.jpg.738f560b874d6aeae776aa85cba460fa.jpgIMG_20201118_155715.thumb.jpg.a41f2fd0112d1b2739907179e53bedda.jpg

Main job done.....hoping not to get bad surprises unpinning the two minis.ย  I'll evaluate the opportunity to add some highlights to Pandora, but my attention now goes to the fountain and Kitty Dumont.

Some stuffs I bought online are till somewhere in EU;ย at worst I'll have to search my stockpile of bases to finish the job.

ย 

ย 

• Like 9

On 11/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, Viruk said:

The plan is to paint this whole lot before the end of 2020. I think I will start with Alps. This is actually the 8th Dreamer crew that I will paint

May I ask you what's the miniย with the big figure going out of the wall and whichย box does it belong to?

Best wishes for your impressive painting program for the end of this year.

19 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

May I ask you what's the miniย with the big figure going out of the wall and whichย box does it belong to?

ย 

This is the old Dreamer - avatar version. I plan to actually make two separate minis out of it, details to follow soon :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Caedrusย and @Virukย I thankย both of you for clarifications.That model looksย huge; I'm sure with Viruk's experience and painting talent we will see soon a great mini.

I begun going after Malifaux at the time of 2nd Edition; honestly I'm not a big fun of metal minis andย the only M1E ones I collectedย are the plastic remakes. I consider I bit odd Avatars were left behind with M2E, that's from my "collector" point of view.ย Talking about that with M1E games I got their opinion Avatars were unbalancing the game.

• Like 2

@Caedrusย and the group. I think this month will be another mulligan for me putting me in painting purgatory. Some times life gets busy and painting has to go on the back burner.

With that in mind I had planned on taking over hosting the challenge next year, but unfortunately I just don't think I'll have the time. I'm sure one of you fine people will be able to step in and run it instead. Hopefully I'll still be able to participate, be itย on a lower level.

Thanks guys, even though I haven't had the time to paint over the past few months I've still enjoyed lurking and seeing all the great work you're producing. Rotten Harvest entries were all fantastic too, keep up the good work :)ย 

• Like 3

@astapableย great job with the last two minis.

As regard pics, my suggestion is to employ filtered light. Using aย home made photobox is common choice.

Aboutย best size of theย photobox and the color of the surfaces I have till doubts...... Guess you have to size it considering that most of time you'll take shoots of one single miniature. Then, for the color of photobox surfaces, black was the most common choice and most of times it gives best results.

On the other way you canย try using light filters: baker paper is cheap and seems to work very well. Cold bulblamps can be enveloped with baker paper to filter direct light to take shoots without photobox.

• Thanks 1

Caedrus, reporting in!

So, this month, I finished two miniatures, and I've been messing about with photoshopping in a black background. The two finished miniatures are at 10SS each, making a 20SS total.

First, my original pledge of Arik Schรถettmer:

image.thumb.png.f03dcb4120a45a194fa85a3287021143.png

Second, my eBay-rescued Rail Golem:

image.thumb.png.d7f74edf7b9b83e4fd7477f14f5c9ff4.png

With both miniatures, I was trying to improve my skills in NMM and OSL effects. I was pleased with my Iron-Man-Arik's copper NMM on his green-stuff backpack, and I'm slowly getting better at light source placement. I think the Golem could do with more contrast, though. I'm not sure of the purple glow really works, but it's done now.

Bonus Miniatures!

I almost forgot! I also painted three entries for the Wyrd Halloween competition!

image.thumb.png.43584bf80d0de39e02a68780e2def262.png

For 15SS, this was my Elvira Bathory!

There were some great entries in this category, but it's a great fun mini, and soon to be converted back to an Amelia Bathory!

image.thumb.png.f988d4c0d29d203c120ab3b5c91a619b.png

At 10SS, the Brutal Emissary!

I had some fun with this miniature. The little demon pit (into which the accused is being dropped) didn't photograph well. I was pleased with the OSL, and the resculpted hand, though!

(cont)

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 8

@Caedrus - love the Ghillieย suit, reminded me some Planescape fluff about levitating, disguised squirrels. Hope it's a versatile upgrade so we can see it applied to more models ;).
ย 

@Boomstickย - Poltergeist looks sweet! Not that the rest of the bunch don't look great also but the colour composition on that one is outstanding.

ย 

@bedjyย - some seriously awesome basing work there. Absolutely love the ethereal effect + lighting you've done on Kitty also.

ย 

@murakiย - those Beckoners are class. You've improved on both the Illuminated and Beckoner sculpts in my opinion. The Magenta glow and masks completely sell the idea of what the models are supposed to be. Top notch.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Thanks 2