don't stop believing

KikkerVisje

just a quick reminder that the game is still alive 😄 gave one of my friends an army the other day and miraculously it sparked the interest of some of the other people at the party. might have accidentally created a tiny community. i mentioned the community isn't very lively but they didn't really care about that as we're mostly gonna play with friends anyway. it'doesn't have to be very big, as long as it's fun.

it's a good game, we had a bumpy start but with some support we might still get this thing of the ground.

as long as wyrd keeps making stuff for the other side i'll keep trying to recruit friends to play with me 😅

just a happy little message in these hard times, hang in there 🙂

• Like 9

I just came back from my FLGS and the owner was actually taking his personal Cult of the Burning Man models out of the display case he has for some of his personal stuff behind the counter and throwing them out in the trash to make room because "the games dead mate, haven't shifted any product in about 6 months and nobody plays it or asks about it" and the shelf that used to be used for it is now a second cabinet for M3E stock. I like the game a lot and its nice to see a larger scale thing in the Malifaux universe but unless they can turn it around "it doesn't have to be big as long as its fun" isn't going to go very far if its a money pit.

This supposedly dead game is doing just fine in our locality. We've got 4 players with a 5th possibly joining and we've got a lot of games in.

I've really enjoyed working with the models as well. They look great and are a blast to paint.

The game is truly excellent and deserves to do well. It is disappointing that we're having to wait so long for the two player starter, but with a game this mechanically sound all it takes is good word of mouth and some support and it really has the potential to take off.

Let's work to make the online presence the game has more positive. If people google this game and just see relentless negativity about it, then it's only going to have a deleterious effect on the game's future.

I still believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm in a similar position to @Sharpedge. We've got about 4 active players, with maybe another 4 with armies but  no time to play. 

The game is excellent and I've been LOVING painting my armies. I've got most of my Cult finished, a proxy Guild company (using KE rules) and I'm now painting up a Gibbering Hordes force. 

And just because, here's some random pics of my armies. ;)

WwS0w2a.jpg

IEFRCph.jpg

gZfN5NA.jpg

05KRKuu.jpg

us8UV2O.jpg

vwqlVWR.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I wish Wyrd gave better feedback about current state and future of the game. I'm waiting for Three Kingdoms to roll in, but I'm afraid that with current approach there will be no people left to play with by the time it is released. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming in with my love for this game. A friend and I slugged it out today on Vassal. Adeodatos and Fenton vs. Charles Edmonton and Margaret Belle. 

We only have four of us that play TOS, but we have a sizable Malifaux crew. We're trying to use vassal and the current isolation as a "try before you buy" demonstration. 

I'd love to see this game continue to grow!

ALL GLORY TO THE BURNING MAN!

... ahem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Other Side is a fantastic game and it is such a shame that it has a minimal population. So many things plagued its release.

I have the Cult and Abysinnia kick starters to get to eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later, that said a good amount of the models need some tlc as they are a little warped etc.

• Agree 1

I want to believe.

I am hoping that "with one thing and the other"* is just delaying the two player starter set, and once things like cons and shows become possible that will allow a fully supported release and lots of promotion.

* Kermode and Mayo code for where we find ourselves, similar to "puppies and kittens" in Z-Nation.

• 1 month later...

I talked to a friend last night about TOS, and as it turns out the Allegiance he's most interested in playing is an unreleased one - the Court of Two. That now makes three locals who are waiting on the 2-player starter box to get into TOS. 

I'm pretty confident that Wyrd hasn't abandoned the game, but i do hope they relaunch it soon. At least locally, there's definitely interest in seeing it expand. 

Speaking of which, I'm actually running a small tournament for TOS in two weeks. I'm not expecting a huge turnout - i was considering 4 attendees to be a success! But as it turns out, i might end up with 6 or more.  A few have come out of the woodwork to borrow one of my armies and give the system a try. :D

I've given up on this game and this company, hate to say it because I love the rules, the models and the lore. TOS is a still born game no one plays, Malifaux is a game that hardly anyone seems to have heard of, and trying to get people interested in the setting to play TTB is a huge up hill battle. Wyrd has no marketing presence, no sense of hype, they just poop out rereleases.

2 hours ago, Merchant said:

I've given up on this game and this company, hate to say it because I love the rules, the models and the lore. TOS is a still born game no one plays, Malifaux is a game that hardly anyone seems to have heard of, and trying to get people interested in the setting to play TTB is a huge up hill battle. Wyrd has no marketing presence, no sense of hype, they just poop out rereleases.

I mean, let's be fair:  COVID kinda threw an enormous wrench into everything, and how much market penetration does anything that isn't either Games Workshop/Privateer Press (who've been around longer than Malifaux has) or is tied to a major existing IP (X-Wing Miniatures)?

How much can Wyrd really do?  Genuine question from an industry outsider here.  What actual avenues does Wyrd realistically have to try to grow their exposure?

16 hours ago, clockworkspide said:

I mean, let's be fair:  COVID kinda threw an enormous wrench into everything, and how much market penetration does anything that isn't either Games Workshop/Privateer Press (who've been around longer than Malifaux has) or is tied to a major existing IP (X-Wing Miniatures)?

How much can Wyrd really do?  Genuine question from an industry outsider here.  What actual avenues does Wyrd realistically have to try to grow their exposure?

While i hear plenty from Games Workshop (who doesn't?) i can't say the same for Privateer Press. Hell, if you asked me today I'd swear that PP was all but dead. But based on what you've said above, i suppose that's not the case?

It's the opposite here for Malifaux/Wyrd. We have a very strong Malifaux community going where i am. The TOS is still pretty small,  but it is slowing growing so at least locally, I wouldn't call it dead. 

So when it comes to these smaller companies outside GW, maybe their perceived success is more a reflection of our respective local communities than the company as a whole? Honestly short of Wyrd, PP or others actually making their sales numbers public, it's difficult to gauge just how "successful" their games are at the moment. 

As for what Wyrd could do, it's a fair question. Marketing is a long away from my chosen profession so i feel like I'm ill-suited to answer this. But to me i feel like Wyrd would benefit from community engagement beyond what they already do. Stuff like having someone active on all the social media platforms, showcasing events/ painting from the community, commenting and generally being active on a full time basis. 

Updating the Wyrd website with more pictures of models would also be great. I know the Other Side webpage has some good info for people hoping to learn more about the game. But do you know what really helped convince me to get into Malifaux, way back when 1st ed had just been released? Pictures of all the painted crews that were available. It was a painted Pandora crew, complete with a homicidal baby and disquietingly innocent little girl that helped convinced me that i needed to play this game. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Rathnard said:

While i hear plenty from Games Workshop (who doesn't?) i can't say the same for Privateer Press. Hell, if you asked me today I'd swear that PP was all but dead. But based on what you've said above, i suppose that's not the case?

It's the opposite here for Malifaux/Wyrd. We have a very strong Malifaux community going where i am. The TOS is still pretty small,  but it is slowing growing so at least locally, I wouldn't call it dead. 

So when it comes to these smaller companies outside GW, maybe their perceived success is more a reflection of our respective local communities than the company as a whole? Honestly short of Wyrd, PP or others actually making their sales numbers public, it's difficult to gauge just how "successful" their games are at the moment. 

As for what Wyrd could do, it's a fair question. Marketing is a long away from my chosen profession so i feel like I'm ill-suited to answer this. But to me i feel like Wyrd would benefit from community engagement beyond what they already do. Stuff like having someone active on all the social media platforms, showcasing events/ painting from the community, commenting and generally being active on a full time basis. 

Updating the Wyrd website with more pictures of models would also be great. I know the Other Side webpage has some good info for people hoping to learn more about the game. But do you know what really helped convince me to get into Malifaux, way back when 1st ed had just been released? Pictures of all the painted crews that were available. It was a painted Pandora crew, complete with a homicidal baby and disquietingly innocent little girl that helped convinced me that i needed to play this game. 

Like you say, I mention Privateer Press because they were one of the more common games played at the gaming club I went to.

Let's see:  40K was the most played, then probably Age of Sigmar, then Blood Bowl, then Warmahordes, generally.  Malifaux is basically three or four people around here, including me, but we didn't get many games in due to schedule issues for most of them, so it's largely me and one other person.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 2:11 PM, clockworkspide said:

Well i'm talking pre-covid  they have been shooting themselves in the foot. TOS taking and extra year and a half to release, the lack of hype and marketing for it, trickle releasing it for new player after, then leaking m3e killing any momentum it did have, now it's been almost a year since a TOS release other than a metal alt model? they hardly promote any of their products and every one I knew and they knew seems to have stopped playing...I've been to about 10 different game stores in the last couple years in various states and only 1 of them even had Wyrd product... so yeah idk man.

50 minutes ago, Merchant said:

Well i'm talking pre-covid  they have been shooting themselves in the foot. TOS taking and extra year and a half to release, the lack of hype and marketing for it, trickle releasing it for new player after, then leaking m3e killing any momentum it did have, now it's been almost a year since a TOS release other than a metal alt model? they hardly promote any of their products and every one I knew and they knew seems to have stopped playing...I've been to about 10 different game stores in the last couple years in various states and only 1 of them even had Wyrd product... so yeah idk man.

I love anecdotes.  According to the shelves of the game stores in the state I live in, none of the following games exist:

• Infinity
  • Malifaux

yet I'm pretty sure both Corvus Belli and Wyrd Games still exist.  🤔

And I think you're managing to conflate "shooting themselves in the foot" with "getting heavy things dropped on their foot by others".

22 hours ago, Merchant said:

You keep saying they hardly promote their product, but what exactly do you want them to do towards that end that isn't already happening?  And have you talked to your local Henchman about that?

Looking from a 20years marketing /creative perspective, i think two fields were treated quite thin from wyrd. They are very strong in world building and their artworks are top notch - but they are lacking in showing off their actual product. You have a hard time seeing painted miniatures. The setting gives so much opportunities for great dioramas / playing scenes. Their social Media should be flooded with beautiful miniatures, i think because at the end this creates a need for buying them. 

And due to the Lack of batreps of ToS - it would also be good to produce some matches on their YT channel.

Just my two cents as a spectator. 

I really think ToS is a gem and i hope it will stay for longer! 

• Agree 5