Hinamatsu: Can anyone share play experience?

LadyLorien

Hello! I stumbled upon the Hinamatsu model today and instantly fell in love, but havn't been able to find any information on her other than the general description on the Wyrd Store. Is she a henchman? Enforcer? Peon? Can anyone share their experience playing with her, or at least give a little more information on who she is? (She doesn't show up on the Neverborn section of the Malifaux Website either.) Thematically I would love to include her in my Dreamer playroom set (another 'mother' to help him alongside Widow Weaver...) but need to know a bit more about her before I make the decision to purchase.

...OR... I throw caution to the wind and buy her anyways since she's so gosh-darn pretty ;) 

She is a cool model and her obvious place thematically is as a henchman for Collodi. However with Collodi not being in the upcoming new rules Hinematsu's future place in the neverborn is uncertain. 

As the rules are currently I would suggest that Hinematsu works well with Jacob Lynch (also not going to be in the nb) as with four positive flip attacks she can help lynch fish for those aces he wants so badly. 

She also works well with the tooth as her innate 'without a master' ability will negate the attack of any model drawn in by the 'challenge of summer' ability. 

The "without a master" ability makes her good against enemy masters that work by granting their crews extra activations. This ability is a dual edged sword though. Keep her away from any of your models that have pounce or pounce like abilities. 

Although she has mediocre defence she does have high willpower armour 1 and 9 wounds, which is respectable. 

She also has a lure type ability which can be handy for pulling enemy models out of position. 

She has the wicked ability which combined with her accurate attacks make her good at tarpitting models that would rather not be in melee. 

She also has a zero action that allows her to cheat fate face down as well as cycle cards. 

Hope that this helps. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tickle Monster said:

The "without a master" ability makes her good against enemy masters that work by granting their crews extra activations. This ability is a dual edged sword though. Keep her away from any of your models that have pounce or pounce like abilities.

"Without A Master" is "this model and enemy models", so your gals can still Punce, no?

It looks fun and pretty, and I'll probably pick Hinamatsu alongside a box of Bunraku just because the crew will look nice, but I don't know how useful that would actually be - at least you could use it early in the turn with Inhuman Speed to cycle bad cards for good, then have a monster activation with your chosen beater.

Still, if the opponent smells Collodi coming, anti-armour tech is going to eat Hinamatsu just as well as the rest of Collodi's thematic crew.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tickle Monster said:

She is a cool model and her obvious place thematically is as a henchman for Collodi. However with Collodi not being in the upcoming new rules Hinematsu's future place in the neverborn is uncertain.

Hinamatsu is still kickin' it with the Neverborn in M3E (though it has also been seen loitering around the Qi and Gong in recent weeks).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mason said:

Hinamatsu is still kickin' it with the Neverborn in M3E (though it has also been seen loitering around the Qi and Gong in recent weeks).

Sweet. I was really hoping she was actually Ten Thunders when I first saw her picture... ;) 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mason said:

Sweet 😁

5 hours ago, DuBlanck said:

"Without A Master" is "this model and enemy models", so your gals can still Punce, no?

True. I got that wrong.

Thank you. 😁

She is extremely resource-efficient at removing individual models. My frequent opponent runs a frustrating Collodi crew that spams small activations, Vasillisa slings Hinamatsu into a key model at the bottom of each turn and they teleport back to the Doll Collection markers at EoT. It's a finesse crew, but it scales well with player skill - the better you are at reading the opposing crew and board state the more you'll be able to get done.

• Like 1

Hi, actually played her a lot with Collodi, where she shines. With other masters she loses a lot of efficiency, because with Collodi she can:

- take 2 DMG and gain fast (strum the threads). This gives her 5ap, and even without other pushed/moves, a treat range of 5+7+2 with a charge, and 5+5+5+2 with 2 attacks

- take the buffs from brutal or arcane effigy (fated)

- take the buffs from Collodi (fated): defensive is pretty good with "Faster than naked eye" if you have a bad hand

- she can push Collodi turn1 with her melee master Aps, thanks to the + flip and low damage (in case of extremely bad cards)

Generally, the Thousand Faces upgrade will give her a lot of versatility.

With other masters, I think we have better options, and she loses so much compared to Collodi that I never tried her in other crews.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:46 PM, Mason said:

really disappointed that we had to wait so long for her and now I have her finally en-route she is changing factions, thats just bad form

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, katadder said:

really disappointed that we had to wait so long for her and now I have her finally en-route she is changing factions, thats just bad form

I'm reading that  as she's dual... or at least only for Qi & Gong for thunders... I'm guessing that's Youko, the new master, Hamasaki's key word.  She'll definitely be NEverborn from what he said though... You'll just have to learn to share!

I've been hoping and preying for Hina to join the Thunders since I saw her. She's such a pretty model!  I just built mine two days ago (I was going to convert her into a Rouge Necromancy proxy for Kirai, but not now!)

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ceodoc said:

Where can I read about the future of Hinamatsu vis a vis M3e?

How do you know she is going to be dual faction?

Mason posted that she was still neverborn, but she had been seen down the qui and gong. How you interpret is up to you. 

Edit: the quote is in kaddadders post about 3 posts up. 

• Like 2

Just a thought I had on her but still needs to be tested:

Hinamatsu in a Titania Crew with Queens Champion. With the champion upgrade Hina gains ++ on Attack Flips, can cheat face down, Drops up to 4 scheme markers for Titania to heal from etc. and gets armor 2. Combined with Malifaux provides for some nice healing.

Thoughts?

21 hours ago, Chilbi said:

Just a thought I had on her but still needs to be tested:

Hinamatsu in a Titania Crew with Queens Champion. With the champion upgrade Hina gains ++ on Attack Flips, can cheat face down, Drops up to 4 scheme markers for Titania to heal from etc. and gets armor 2. Combined with Malifaux provides for some nice healing.

Thoughts?

I don't have much experience with Titania, but I would say that there are better targets for queen's champion. 2 points for an upgrade are a lot, so you should maximize them.

Let's look at the 3 bonuses of queen's champion:

- armor+1: I think it's worth more with someone that doesn't already have armor

- flip + : as for armor, a model that already has a +, it's fine. You don't need so many + for the melee attack, flipping 2 cards is ok, 3 cards are overkill and sometimes also too much (if BJ is waiting in your deck;) ). Instead, if you give + to a model that doesn't have it normally, that is an awesome bonus.

- schemes deployed on attack: this is a nice bonus due to melee master, but I think that this bonus alone isn't worth the deal. For queen's champion I would look first at Nekima ( armor +1 and +flip here are awesome ) or rider (not for armor, but +flip here is really nice)

I hope you will find some useful informations here above ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been Theory-fauxing a summoner list with Dreamer to help replenish cards after summoning or setting up summoning the next turn.

Bringing Otherworldly on Dreamer and giving her playthings to beat on Serena or an actual enemy model after activating her 0 to cheat face down and draw a card even on misses will generate up to 4 cards.  Tie that in with Thorn's challenge to draw them in and get some smacks with more card draw gets you up to 6 cards a turn.  I know there is a card engine with Bloodwretches but, with the starter box being out of stock in many places limits that list from being viable.

I haven't tried it on the table yet but having Hina and a beater like the Rider out there while also summoning in stitched, Lilitu, etc should bear some teeth?

On 9/21/2018 at 9:24 PM, melkore said:

Bringing Otherworldly on Dreamer and giving her playthings to beat on Serena or an actual enemy model after activating her 0 to cheat face down and draw a card even on misses will generate up to 4 cards

The 0's card drawing only comes when you've cheated fate against an enemy.