Buying models prior to m3e

Ray

As a pure TT player, I would no longer buy Brewmaster & his thematic gremlin pieces. That's mainly because I'm on a bit of a shoestring and want to get more than "only" a year's worth of gaming from figs (my mind says GenCon '19 release for m3e, could of course be way off base). I can't see a reason not to buy stuff that's in all likelyhood going to remain as pure TT. Far as I'm concerned I'll still get plenty of m2e gaming from them and if they're optimal/suboptimal in the new edition, when that finally rolls around, so be it.

• Agree 2

Personally yes I would, but I play all factions and almost all masters, so I know my purchase is not useless. 

If I were more selective on what I play I would do some purchasing, but at least with one eye on future faction use, so I would not buy gupps for Jacob Lynch, because I'm fairly sure he won't be able to use them next edition, but if I had zoraida as well then I may well buy them as I can use them next edition. 

Depends. I’ve frozen and cancelled all purchases and pre-orders I had pending, and didn’t spend a dime on anything from Wyrd at Gen Con this year. I generally like what I’m hearing, mostly, about M3E, but I personally would regard purchasing anything for a game I ultimately might not like as foolish.

If you are a hobbiest, and would have bought the model even if there was no game, just because you liked it enough to want to paint it, then I’d go ahead. Anything else and I’d personally advise waiting till you’ve played multiple games of 3e to make sure it’s something you still like enough to play.

26 minutes ago, Adran said:

Personally yes I would, but I play all factions and almost all masters, so I know my purchase is not useless. 

If I were more selective on what I play I would do some purchasing, but at least with one eye on future faction use, so I would not buy gupps for Jacob Lynch, because I'm fairly sure he won't be able to use them next edition, but if I had zoraida as well then I may well buy them as I can use them next edition. 

I am on the same boat. I play so many factions and masters that I know that I will get use of all my new purchases. Plus I do also think that M3E is probably coming out Gencon 2019, so there is still plenty of time to play M2E and plenty of tournaments were I will get to use my new models.

However, I do know of other players in my area that have cancelled future purchases for now, hopefully if we are able to get into the Beta we will be able to know which models will be useful for some masters down the line.

2 hours ago, Tors said:

Buy. Just ordered Gencon Stuff and some more miniatures via LGS. M3E could be a year ahead and as long as i have fun painting and playing them in the meantime there is no money wasted.

True, we don't know exactly when it will drop, and if it is a year, I'm not going to not paint for a year. What I am doing is focussing a bit more on the model itself, so stuff I really want to paint, rather than how they work with the crew etc.

Don't think this'll affect my purchases whatsoever. I don't really buy figs I don't like the look of and a lot of the fun with Malifaux is trying out new combinations which M3E will allow all over again.

Depending how it goes M3E it might encourage me to buy more stuff when it comes out though, either due to new sculpts or new rules. There's not a whole lot in the current line I'm in a rush to pick up right now.

In the amount of time you play, will you get the monetary amount of fun from what you buy in 12 months of time?

Will you get $60 US amount of fun from a new crew of models in a year? 

Can you squeeze $5 every 30 days out of a box a models and still count it as a good time?

For just 16 cents a day, you could have a geek at a positive flip!

Won't you please give?

<plays Sarah McLachlan "Angel">

• Like 2

I was about to start moving into Ten Thunders, but with the changes to theme lists incoming and the Thunders' disparate themes, that's all canned for now.

If the M3E news continues to be a mixed bag, or my group doesn't end up as beta testers, I'll be taking a good look at Season 4 of Guild Ball.

Yeah. It definitely changed my buying habits. This year (from this GenCon to next GenCon) has become the year of the Guild. Super excited about Dashel and Cornelius. They look awesome, and I like the themes. I play everything but the Guild (Lady Justice was the only non-Dual Faction Guild master I have and that's because I bought her super cheap from a friend). I was going to have a year of the Guild a little while ago, but physical and financial problems caused to stop buying anything, and my plan to spread into Guild kinda of died out. But with the ME3 announcement of the promotion of Dashel and a frontier Master, my interest in the Year of the Guild sparked again.

I'm not too bothered if I never play something I buy. I have enough to never buy more models again (indeed, I've had some for years that I haven't played with yet). I'm a collector. So, I just like having the models even if I don't have the immediate intention to play them. But for ME3, I actually am buying them to play rather than just collection. Or more like trying to build up my Guild so I have plenty of options (including more Masters since sticking to two who do indeed seem awesome seems a bit limiting).

Guess it’s finally time to reap a benefit of playing a very theme-bound master—whatever I buy in the stompybot line now will certainly still be a stompybot later. :)

(...sorry, even with Marlena in my possession I’m a Hoffman player first.)

For the first time, for me, sculpt is going to be equally weighed against stats when it comes time to  buy. So the domador which I like very much has moved ahead of the Jury which 1. doesn’t thrill me as much visually 2. will probably go with Lady Justice later.

And I’m absolutely going to snap up some effigies from a Collodi player offloading them. They’re so cute!

• Like 1

I would (and am continuing to...) buy new models before M3E. That said, I'm well on my way to having the entire range anyway (I've painted all but 6 crews), so whatever M3E happens to be, it's unlikely to invalidate what i have. 

If I only had 1-2 crews then yeah - I'd probably be a little more hesitant to expand my collection unless there's a good chance the new models would fit my existing crew's theme (eg. Confirmed Versatile models like the Effigies/Emissaries, or Beckoners for a Lynch Crew) or I just wanted it as a painting project (eg. Hinamatsu, who I now wish I'd ordered at Gencon. ;) ).