Malifaux Rules Translations

Lucidicide

AWESOME !!

Sooooooo, there we are ! I've just checked the rulebook and it's more than just the rules, it's the whole first book they let us dl for free.

Now I have tons of questions :)

- Are the cards errated ?

- When will the other books be available (even if we have to buy them)

- Will it be possible to buy the french cards (or exchange english for french ones) ?

I know you may not have precise dates for all those answers but... at least I'm conscious clear since I've asked:P

Well, a big thanks for the translation team and i wish them best of luck for what's to come

4 hours ago, bedjy said:

- Are the cards errated ?

It seems that they have included some erratas. I found this great. However, not all of them are in the books. Moreover, depending on the language, you may get an errata or not. For example, the metal gamin in the French version seems to have hard to kill while it was taken out in the Spanish version.

These are great news indeed. And the rules are free !

Just as an aside, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but there seems to be some French terms inconsistencies between models having the same English abilities/actions and plain rules mistakes for some models. For those that want to develop communities, it may be good to have the English rules available also, especially when playing with older players.

But anyhow, there's a saying in French: "A cheval donné, on ne regarde pas les dents." (If someone gives you a horse for free, you do not check its teeth).

5 hours ago, yool1981 said:

These are great news indeed. And the rules are free !

Just as an aside, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but there seems to be some French terms inconsistencies between models having the same English abilities/actions and plain rules mistakes for some models. For those that want to develop communities, it may be good to have the English rules available also, especially when playing with older players.

But anyhow, there's a saying in French: "A cheval donné, on ne regarde pas les dents." (If someone gives you a horse for free, you do not check its teeth).

Like it was posted earlier, if you see issues with the translation, please send your complaints to customer service:  https://www.wyrd-games.net/contact

Unless everyone involved speaks both languages, mistakes are going to happen.  (And if everyone involved spoke both languages, why hire a translator?). And war game rules can be difficult on translators because they end up being technical documents that don't look like technical documents and it's often hard to tell which bits of phrasing are specialized.

So by all means, please look the gift horse in the mouth so Wyrd call a veterinarian (or a dentist) if the horse needs it. If nothing else, Wyrd's got more books to translate and if the current translators made mistakes, they'd probably like to ask them to do better next time. ;)  

• 3 weeks later...

I skimmed through the Russian rules manual and, gotta say, - thank you for this, Wyrd! This is a great opportunity to recruit more friends who don't know English that well into Malifaux.

Buuut...

OK, some terms I would have translated differently, but hey - different strokes for different folks. A slightly bigger issue is the "normal" translation of terms that are usually just transcribed in the Russian-speaking community: "flip", "reflip", etc.; these terms have been used on forums and YouTube for who knows how long, and seeing their proper translation is somewhat confusing. But, once again, its no big deal - at least more people will start speaking proper Russian language instead of "birdspeech"=\)

The actual problem I have with the Russian version is the translation of stats without mention of the original. I.e., Df became "Зщ" ("защита", protection/defence), and nowhere in the text it is mentioned that the two abbreviations correlate. People who speak English will, most likely, understand what it means, but other folks will just scratch their heads looking for the mysterious "Зщ" on the stat cards. I believe it would have been much better to leave the English abbreviations and terms near the translated ones, in brackets, at least at the first mention. Or put the most used ones in a small, but clearly visible, index in the beginning of the book.

I understand the general consensus that absolutely everything in the text must be translated, but technical documentation (which a rulebook is) is kind of a different beast. Unless Wyrd are planning to release the Russian version of cards, they just sort of made it even more difficult for newcomers to get into the game(

It is not a mistake per se, and as such does not warrant a letter to the customer service. But it is worth mentioning.

but technical documentation (which a rulebook is) is kind of a different beast...to release the Russian version of cards...

It isn't that much a technical documentation to leave English "Df" or any English if you want a proper translation. 

The cards will also be released sooner or later, Geekwars has been working on it for some time already.

12 hours ago, Dima_v said:

It isn't that much a technical documentation to leave English "Df" or any English if you want a proper translation. 

The cards will also be released sooner or later, Geekwars has been working on it for some time already.

It is, actually. For example: you have some equipment that you need to put together, and the individual parts are marked with English letters - A, B, C, or worse - some sort of code, like XY100500N. And in the assembly guide you see ONLY the translation - А, Б, В, ЭЮ100500Н. Will that guide be of any help to you?

Cards translation is good news though - this will definitely resolve the issue (as long as the translators stick to the same terminology used in the Rules Manual; otherwise it would create even more of a mess).

3 hours ago, L3gion said:

For example...

That's a valid point, but if you need to translate "Hydraulic pressure" you won't call it "Гидравлик прешер".

So, yep, the cards should complete the translation. The terminology will be the same, for sure.