So about the new Nekima model

Mastershake

People on AWP are hoping for Nightmare Edition giant Nekima, which would be cool.

Saying that I like the current plastic version and can't wait to get mine. She'll probably be much smaller than my mature nephilim proxies, but I'm still willing to see what the fuss is about.
I guess she is somewhat more imposing than the young nephilim and Barbaros, like she should be.

I don't have my books right now but i do remember a line where it pretty much says that, i'll get back to you later today.

Edit: pm sent, apparently my memory is playing tricks and i can only find indirect text.

Hmmm, I have a fading memory of a story where this was mentioned about Pandora, is that what you might have been thinking of?

Just a question, since as noted above, my memory on this is not clear.

The fatemaster's almanach's Neverborn generic description may be the cause for my memory bumble (as i may have thought "so that explains it" when reading the part where it says that some neverborn can choose their appearance or at least evolve differently). That said i had in mind a passage where it said that her form suited her...or something to that effect. It could be linked with pandora's stories indeed. At least i think it was in the first editions book. Couldn't find it so i assumed i just made that conclusion over time.

Well, Lilitu and Lelu certainly have evolved differently than the other nephilim.
Nekima did loose a point of height and this wasn't really adressed in the fluff, but anything is possible.

I liked the concept art for 1.5 Nekima, but the mini itself looked too gangly and wearing a much simpler garb, which was different from more athletic and more stylish representation from the book and the sword on the mini didn't look as massive as the one in the art. Only part of the mini I like is her face. Unfortunately I haven't seen the mini in flesh, because I might have converted her to my liking.
For now I feel this one is better from the photos and render, but I haven't had any of the new wonky scaled minis yet, so I might be biased.

I agree that the potential sculpt of the new plastic was great. Granted they changed the tone of Nekima from majestic to barbaric, but i think they had some success there, and it wasn't easy because as you said the first art piece was so great.

So...Wyrd replied, basically those who talked about $ got some of their money back. I think that's great for them, but those left who want(ed) to see a bigger Nekima logically won't see anything done about it for a long long time...if ever. I think it's a missed opportunity but is there really something we can do? I wish, and would be the first to back a project to "fix" it for good.

That being said, while waiting the long wait, there's always proxies if someone doesn't like the old metal sculpt but wants something bigger. Some are more fitting than others but here are a couple:

Sophie 72/54mm  (Reaper Miniatures) fits the bill of the 1st edition art piece pretty well (without cloven feet though).

Lithe, extremely large, huge sword and giant wings. Very playable on a 50mm.

There is a clothed and a nude version of this, so careful on the web searches at work. Still metal, but doesn't require much skill to build.

Nalach, the evil shadow (Andrea Miniatures)

very tall, very large sword, much more horrific and gnarled in concept, but still fitting the description quite well and can fit a 50mm.

NSFW sadly, but that's an easy find from home. Made in resin, had no issue building it, but some less experienced modelists might find it tricky.

• Like 2

Wyrd is still going to sell the hell out this model so don't expect any retooling of the existing molds for a size increase.  Nekima is a classic succubus model wreathed in combat badassery.  Many a gamer (from pen and paper to tabletop) outside of Malifaux will pick one up just because.  Just ask Sophie the Succubus who, as Reaper's mascot, gets a new model every year.

WYRD JUST MAKE US A NIGHTMARE EDITION.

At $25 I'm okay with the situation.

Having said that... I'll be using this as a female alt Neph/Barb. It does combo well with the appearence of Lilith now though. No comparison to the metal model though..

I always laugh at how many "oh no... metals!!!" comments. Pinned and seated the joints can be damn strong, with minimal if any breaks - how are you guys building these things? I suspect people aren't doing it right or have little experience with metal models (?) or maybe I'm just used to it since once upon a time you didn't have a choice anyway ;)

The hate for metal models in the Wyrd community certaintly seems disproportionate to opinions in other game systems...

But annnnnnnywaaaaaaay... the original nekima is so damn nice I didn't see this one living up to it anyway and I am a sucker for alts so I can pout all I want but in the end I would have bought it anyway ;)

FYI - I have no problem saying that I primarily bought it because of bust size. Some more nude sculpts are cooooooool with me :D

Has anyone else noticed that Nekima isn't in the online store? Was it removed, maybe to make way for a larger rescaled version? I have to say, I love Malifaux, the style, the miniatures, the game itself, I love everything about it. The current problems with scale and pricing, however, are becoming more and more worrying. I really hope they fix things soon before they price themselves out of business, or get such a bad reputation that everyone avoids them like one of Hamelin's plagues.

Has anyone else noticed that Nekima isn't in the online store? Was it removed, maybe to make way for a larger rescaled version? I have to say, I love Malifaux, the style, the miniatures, the game itself, I love everything about it. The current problems with scale and pricing, however, are becoming more and more worrying. I really hope they fix things soon before they price themselves out of business, or get such a bad reputation that everyone avoids them like one of Hamelin's plagues.

I think the reason for that is that she was made available for order during black friday, but her official release will come later in 2015. Also explains why she doesnt come inside a box.

Im kinda new to Wyrd and Malifaux. Been playing for a few months now, attracted by the cool rules (strategy/schemes), and the awesome minis. I came with M2e so I dont know much about the "old Nekima". That said, im with Ikvar on this, and the model does look small for a 50 mm base so I have serious doubts that this was the planned size (specially after reading about the TTB female kit issue). It is understandable that they wont be crafting a new mould, so at least the price reduction is wellcome.

I have to say despite mistakes im loving Wyrd's policy of talking to/with the community, something you dont see in other wargames.

At $25 I'm okay with the situation.

Having said that... I'll be using this as a female alt Neph/Barb. It does combo well with the appearence of Lilith now though. No comparison to the metal model though..

I always laugh at how many "oh no... metals!!!" comments. Pinned and seated the joints can be damn strong, with minimal if any breaks - how are you guys building these things? I suspect people aren't doing it right or have little experience with metal models (?) or maybe I'm just used to it since once upon a time you didn't have a choice anyway ;)

The hate for metal models in the Wyrd community certaintly seems disproportionate to opinions in other game systems...

But annnnnnnywaaaaaaay... the original nekima is so damn nice I didn't see this one living up to it anyway and I am a sucker for alts so I can pout all I want but in the end I would have bought it anyway ;)

FYI - I have no problem saying that I primarily bought it because of bust size. Some more nude sculpts are cooooooool with me :D

I don't have any problem with metals, personally - some of the old Malifaux ones are my favorite sculpts in the game, and I love the newer Infinity models too, which are all metal. Nekima in particular was just a bitch of a model to assemble and featured poorly designed metal wings all balanced on a tiny ankle. It was up there with Coryphee as models everyone was praying for a good plastic version of, and this one is kinda...meh.

• Like 1

I don't have any problem with metals, personally - some of the old Malifaux ones are my favorite sculpts in the game, and I love the newer Infinity models too, which are all metal. Nekima in particular was just a bitch of a model to assemble and featured poorly designed metal wings all balanced on a tiny ankle. It was up there with Coryphee as models everyone was praying for a good plastic version of, and this one is kinda...meh.

:+fate

I think the problem here is many sided, hopefully Wyrd can eventually fix this.

First off, why are people still buying models based on renders? Renders are not the same as the finished product, you need to decide to purchase models based on the physical model. It is a bit surprising that people are still doing this despite the number of hiccups we have had along the way. 

We are also still dealing with Wyrd's throw out the baby with the bathwater approach towards their metals. They could have fixed their metal issues and continued making great metals but instead chose to go all plastic. The problem is that, while there were some dogs in the old metals (both literally and figuratively), there were a bunch of seriously kick ass models in metal. 

Granted, there are some plastics that aren't bad or are an improvement over the older models. Off of the top of my head I would definitely say that the new Waldgeists are much better than the old metal ones, the old ones were a little odd looking. But one of the responsibilities of replacing the great metal models is that you have to make a model that is an improvement over the old one. We just don't have that here, instead we have a replacement model that is faulty. Thus the disappointment.

I find the comparison shots to Barbaros to really show off this problem. Nekima should never be as tall as Barbaros, Nekima is a Ht 3 model compared to Barbaros having a Ht 2. Additionally, in the background Barbaros is specifically described as having his physical size magically stunted- and Nekima is described as being huge. This model is an obvious mistake, and by now we should not still be seeing these sorts of scaling mistakes. 

One way to fix this while the Nekima model is correctly remade is to sell the current one as Alt Barbaros. This was a great suggestion put forwards earlier in the thread. With a bit of repackaging the opportunity could be taken to make back some of the costs from the current mistake, give us a chance to have a second Barbaros option that is a bit more....voluptuous, and allow people who had the old metal crews to get a henchman (henchdemon?) without having to buy a whole new crew box. Take this lemon and make some lemonade!

I know people are going to have the "eww....metals!" reaction to the old one, and give that as a reason why the new one is "better". I have an old metal one, it looks fantastic. It has never come apart. It fits just fine into my Battlefoam case, and even my ten year old nephew is capable of carrying that case when it is full of metal models. If you use two part 5 minute epoxy with assembly you can avoid most if not all of the pinning with assembly and, once set up, you will need to rip the pieces apart again if you want to take it apart. Yeah, you may have to do a bit of putty filling but you have to do that with most models, that is a basic model building skill that you also need to use on the new plastics. 

• Like 1

First off, why are people still buying models based on renders? Renders are not the same as the finished product, you need to decide to purchase models based on the physical model. It is a bit surprising that people are still doing this despite the number of hiccups we have had along the way. 

Because there's no choice.  Currently there's no way to see a physical Wyrd model without buying it because there aren't assembled and painted model pics on the website or even on the boxes themselves and they aren't in blisters like the old metals either.

If nobody bought a product off of a render nobody would buy anything.  Somebody has to buy the model on nothing but a render even if it's me.  Now others can see the physical model's size in comparison and decide for themselves.

• Like 3