2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - December

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for December!

Would you believe that I have had the very great pleasure of hosting the Painting Challenge for three years now?

I've had some busy times, and some quieter times. With the birth of my daughter a couple of months ago, it's time for me to hand over the hosting to another forum member. Don't worry, though, I will be able to be a more active painter very soon, and you'd better believe that I will be continuing to contribute to the monthly painting challenge in 2022 and onwards!

Would you like to host the Monthly Painting Challenge?

My fellow painters, I won't be able to run the Challenge next year. It's going to be a crazy one for me, and if I'm honest, I haven't contributed as strongly as I would have liked in recent months (parenting will do that). So, I need to hand over that responsibility to someone.

I'd REALLY hate for this Challenge to die off for lack of an organiser, so if you can set up the Monthly Challenge Thread (and hey, maybe even set an additional challenge or two), then please answer this thread and put your hand up!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

What should be the final Challenge for my final month of hosting?

I was thinking about why we paint. Yeah, we want to fight off the grey plastic tide that threatens to envelop us, and yes, we want to get better. However, the best reason for painting, if you ask me, is to have fun.

The Fun Painting Challenge!

For my final hosting month, I challenge you to throw off the shackles of an oppressive themed colour scheme, and painting schedule. I challenge you to paint something just for fun. Something silly, stupid, and fun. Use an unusual colour, or theme, or just a flatout goofy miniature that you've always wanted to paint, from any manufacturer!

Have a fantastic December, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@CaedrusFirst off, thank you so much for all your efforts. I wish you all the best with the family and hope you’ll continue to showcase your great painting skills.

For December I’m going to finish my last two pieces for my Other Side King’s Empire. I will meet my 2021 goal of a fully painted army. I’ll probably do a couple small things here and there to round off some keywords for some Malifaux crews. I love having options and nothing beats fully painted crews on the table.

This my second year in the challenge and I’m very proud of my shelves (as in plural) of fully painted miniatures. Thank you to all for the encouragement.

• Like 1

Alas, I have run out of Malifaux crews to paint, until my preorders arrive.

I could steal a boxed one from @Magnus but I think I'd rather dust off the Gibbering Horde and start practicing more with the airbrush for some whacky color combos. I'd also like to practice more with AK water effects.

Magnus and I used them for our Armada fleets. Check out his very pretty Basileans:

RuJO8nt.jpgAqSltyN.jpg

• Like 2

0baiS4s.png

My pledge for December. Yeah, I know, it should have been Rasputina's crew, but I'm still missing some miniatures from that keyword...

So, Ophelia and her kin, a bokor, a couple of bayou gremlins (damned Two gremlins in a ghillie suit upgrade), the alt bayou gator and Mr. Ngaatoro.

• Like 1

@Caedrus I'm sorry to hear you're stepping down. Three years is a good run at the helm. I hope someone steps up! That said... if no one does I might be willing, but I'll stand in as the last option. I'm getting to the dissertation phase of my Ph.D. and I have a feeling things are gonna get.... wyrd. Still, I would hate for this to die and if I have to I will take over. 

That said, my pledge for the month is Iggy and The Carver for a total of 16SS - My aim for 2022 is to complete my Neverborn collection and get them all painted. It's going to be a very purple year :)

• Like 3

@Caedrus - thank you so much for hosting these, fantastic work all around and the extra challenge you've added was a great touch!

@Shock & Awe - would be great if you could carry the painting torch in 2022 :)

For December - I will be definitely painting some of the titles masters during painting streams. Will squeeze in some more stuff most likely but to get started, here are some pics of the new box that Wyrd has sent to me for next streams  - sharing pictures here with you guys first :)

wip001.jpg

viks-wip0.jpgviks-wip1.jpg

yanlo-wip0.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks @Caedrus for hosting the challenges and for the constant kknd words for all of us!

On my side I ll keep going with the urami crew and paint datsue ba for 9SS

let s see if i can manage to fit some OSL from her lantern into the creepy scheme i m doing for the crew, that’s the part I’m more unsure about the mini…

for the fun challenge, if i have the time, will be a chaos cultist from a band of 3 chaos worshippers (the other 2 are already done) i just did to play with cotton sculpting, worn tmm, and matt black. 😁

• Like 1

@Caedrus Thank you for hosting the show, although i haven't been here long :)

I Could host this, although i feel i'm not a good enough painter to do so :D

For December, i guess i'll do the mixed Bag of unpainted Versatiles, start on one of my three already primed Crews and for fun i'll try to make beautiful Dinosaur :D

@Caedrus and, well everyone I guess. 

I had a suggestion/idea for the next challenge (2022) 

Perhaps we could use Google Forms to have people sign up for the challenge - and also to submit their SS totals for the month as well. 

My idea for the Pledge form was something like this:

https://forms.gle/Hhgu933NFuG9NxNb8

Then each month when people finish their total # of models they could just fill this out:

https://forms.gle/PFNJKSTW472oD6BaA

It creates an excel sheet automatically, so it should be easier to tally/track

Thoughts?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

@Caedrus and, well everyone I guess. 

I had a suggestion/idea for the next challenge (2022) 

Perhaps we could use Google Forms to have people sign up for the challenge - and also to submit their SS totals for the month as well. 

My idea for the Pledge form was something like this:

https://forms.gle/Hhgu933NFuG9NxNb8

Then each month when people finish their total # of models they could just fill this out:

https://forms.gle/PFNJKSTW472oD6BaA

It creates an excel sheet automatically, so it should be easier to tally/track

Thoughts?

Nice! 

this takes a lot of work out from the challenge host, and can focus on the monthly challenges.

i can t think of any reason to not doing it this way, what do the veterans think? 

EDIT: @Shock & Awe canyou share the link for the spreadsheet to see how it looks? Just out of curiosity

Edited by Diddick

So, this is what the PLEDGE excel would look like

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v2tT1E-vQK-Qc5wohGRtDbmQz2lyabNcYBtxtZK-hvA/edit?usp=sharing

This is what the MONTHLY sheet would look like

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16_IMLFGuTcB3bTGk29lAiHyxhL0Oeowiju1XqQ4G_qk/edit?usp=sharing

For the monthly one, we could either sort it by month or by painter - but it tracks all the same data, and that way the host doesn't have to manually input it

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!

@Shock & Awe: I think an online spreadsheet is a tremendous idea, and kudos for the idea and suggestion. As a person who completed their PhD (yeah, that's right, I'm Dr. Caedrus! 🤓) while hosting the Challenge, I won't lie, it can be challenging. Having said that, it's a tremendously worthwhile thing. This community is just great - but you already knew that.

@Gheist: If you were inclined to host, in my opinion, I would welcome it just as I would for @Shock & Awe. It's not about being the best painter; I very much doubt I'd be in the top ten on this forum. It's about (if you will forgive me waxing lyrical) inspiring and being inspired.

I'm not the arbiter or controller of this Challenge, and my opinion counts for no more than any other, but I think the online spreadsheet is a great idea, and so long as the Challenge continues to be a happy, supportive and fun place, I'll be proud to be a part of it, and I don't mind who runs it!

With appreciation and respect,

Caedrus.

• Like 6

Since I gave xmas stuff to one friend I can post some of the stuff I painted in the last month+, here's some gremlins, which total 113 with a proxy johan and a proxy sly (not that I don't have the model, I just wanted to give my friend all gremlin units).  I wanted to do a bit of a future travel back theme with em, but god malifaux scale laser guns are hard to find, so bailed on the new guns concept and just painted the rest of it.

SBKB4gL.jpg

lbawJW6.jpg

svjATNZ.jpg

QNS1U7a.jpg

wr8UPz8.jpg

20MuPhp.jpg

wMjU47I.jpg

mXtTmBA.jpg

4oCZb5Q.jpg

• Like 9

@Cats Laughing: I had a mini that pooled like that, and it was due to greasy hands. The paint tends to wick away from grease, so it might be that. Interestingly, COVID didn't really change my handwashing - my mini painting made me a very frequent handwasher!

Maybe a drybrush of a base tone might reduce the splotchiness? Having said that, it's Alphonse, and a somewhat piebald appearance might be exactly right!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cats Laughing said:

Well, I made dumb Alphonse look dumb, so 9 soulstones to finish off my 2021 minion pledge. Yay.

I really don't know what happened to the warp lightning contrast over the white primer. The other contrast paints were fine on the primer, so... maybe I didn't shake well enough...

@Caedrus

-8e5ks2.jpg

i can only advise not only to shake the Colours well but to also stir the pigments at the bottom of the pot, like 10% of all contrast paints seperate pretty harshly, which at first sight i didn't get because it was a new series of paints.

I wouldn't worry to much though :Dit's probably one of the minis where it's no big difference

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi All, 

I started painting Sophie with pretty standard colour scheme, but the I thought she is too good looking sculpt to be treated this way!

IMG_20211216_000009.thumb.jpg.b6b748896cff2124b9407c463d24becd.jpg

So first off, I repainted the cloth on her back to be "grandma style blanket", then changed the tent to red, as it felt better choice to complement new blanket. 

IMG_20211222_091807.thumb.jpg.41ead5d94acfa9980bbafc896f1faa59.jpg

Finally I found the courage to try source lighting from the globe above her back. I was really scared of this, because I really didn't want to ruin the model and I never tried that before. Luckily I'm white happy with the result. 

The base is still to be finished, but that is something I plan on doing in a batch, when more Seekers are painted. 

IMG_20211219_231434.thumb.jpg.cab8bb7f50e62e627b600b963d958dc3.jpg

• Like 7