Mecha-Meemaw

GrumpyGrandpa

We got there, guys. We got it!

A giant Mah Tucket!

image.thumb.png.e41120263202ce2f43e82cc5ad0b63aa.png

Supplimented with a new Enforcer

image.thumb.png.a11a74081bf2e31728a499a40ea69619.png

My first thoughts are very much focused on the fun movement tricks that Mah can do with the trigger Secret Tunnel & Dropped down a hole. Ironically, it seems like getting put in a giant Mech made her loose a lot of her punching power. Hell, she has the same attack as the new 7 SS Enforcer. 

You think Mah has had her attack downgraded?  How do you think Mei Feng feels!

But I love this Mah.  Everything about it is just complete batshit crazy Gremlin nonsense.  She's amazing.  The damage track might be a little less than she's used to but it ignores Armor and Resistance Triggers, and that's not to be sniffed at, and the Dropped Down a Hole trigger is superb in combination with Scrapyard Mines.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

You think Mah has had her attack downgraded?  How do you think Mei Feng feels!

Well, sure. But this is about Mah. Not a Mei Feng expert personally, but she didn't get put on a giant Mech from what I can tell :D

33 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

But I love this Mah.  Everything about it is just complete batshit crazy Gremlin nonsense.  She's amazing.  The damage track might be a little less than she's used to but it ignores Armor and Resistance Triggers, and that's not to be sniffed at, and the Dropped Down a Hole trigger is superb in combination with Scrapyard Mines.

I can totally see options with her, yes. At the very least, she seems like a good alternative to v.1 Mah, when you expect Armor to be a big issue. She also seems a bit SS heavy for suits, but Tricksy has so many options to get soulstones now, so I don't see it as much of an issue. 

I wonder if this version of Mah wants to pick up Sparks? 

This new Mah looks like a great secondary master vs armour/condition oriented crews. Ability to remove all conditions from all models in (2) (without enemy-only restriction on that attack) is amazing! I shoot my mech-chop, deal 1 dmg and all poison/burning is gone! Ha-ha!

But I don't see much synergy with keyword. Sparks will be a good addition to her (armour 2 with shielded 4 on a stone user makes Mah almost immortal). The rest of the crew can be all-stars.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Ironically, it seems like getting put in a giant Mech made her loose a lot of her punching power.

If you get dropped down a hole, which I think you're almost always going to want, it's a 3/5/6 damage spread what gives injured 1 and ignores armor. 

6 hours ago, Scoffer said:

Ability to remove all conditions from all models in (2) (without enemy-only restriction on that attack) is amazing!

I was thinking the same. Absolutely shut down Poison or burning crews. 

With Scatter and Dropped Down a Hole, I feel like she's going to play a lot like Zipp. Throwing things out of position and playing disruption. 

• Agree 2

@Jordan over in the Mei Feng thread pointed out the Salvage Site aura on the Rock Hopper means you don't get whacked for Reckless.

Because if there's something Rooster Riders need to be, it's better.

Test Subjects can Stampede in support, or offensively if you time it right.

Dunno if triggers count or not, for Survivors (both their Steam Rifle triggers cause damage to the Survivor), as it's part of an Attack Action, but does it count?

17 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

@Jordan over in the Mei Feng thread pointed out the Salvage Site aura on the Rock Hopper means you don't get whacked for Reckless.

Because if there's something Rooster Riders need to be, it's better.

Test Subjects can Stampede in support, or offensively if you time it right.

Dunno if triggers count or not, for Survivors (both their Steam Rifle triggers cause damage to the Survivor), as it's part of an Attack Action, but does it count?

A lotta people don't rate roosters.

But Throw yer arm damage ain't reduced, but salvage reduces *many things* stampede, reckless... Damaging df/wp triggers.

*Steward demise*

I'm thinking about making a list of noteworthy "no's"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Morgan Vening said:

It's part of an attack action, so doesn't get reduced. 

We do however have some tactical actions that do damage. Like Stuffed pigs explosion is a tactical action. I'm sure there are others too.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Scoffer said:

But I don't see much synergy with keyword. Sparks will be a good addition to her (armour 2 with shielded 4 on a stone user makes Mah almost immortal). The rest of the crew can be all-stars.

Tricksy is not known for their synergy anyway. Mah1 can support her crew with Careful Planning and giving out Focus in Pulse, neither is restricted in keyword.

Mecha-Mah is less supporting (can still hand out Focus in Pulse though) but more lean toward controlling. Sparks will be a staple and Mech Porkchop is high on the list for the Walking Forge and Vent Steam. Survivor is also a solid choice because of Scrap marker dropping in range. Other than that she is basically free, just like the origin Mah, to hiring whatever model she needs.

• Agree 1

I like the look of her! First of all, the concept is great and I'm really looking forward to the model! On the rules side she seems extremely versatile and has a ton of tricks in her toolbox. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed about is that she seems like a slight variation of Mah1 and doesn't offer a wholly new playstyle as such like so many of the other titles have done.

Mah2 loses Careful Planning and Ill Omens. She trades Diving Charge for All Terrain which is a fine trade as such, I feel. What does "ignores vertical distance" mean exactly? Can she move on top of stuff that isn't Climbable? If there's a Ht 4 house with a roof that can be traversed, does she really use no movement getting on top just moving like she would on open ground?

Heaps of Trash is cool especially with her being Sz 4 so she really projects that Aura well. That Sz is a liability, too, since she dropped two Df going down to a sad four. Armor +2 is naturally amazing but she definitely can be taken out (as can Mah1) so Assassinate is going to be a problem.

She loses Pit Traps but gains Scrapyard Mines - not sure which is better as they both have their pros. And naturally Mah1 also had access to Scrapyard Mines through Sparks.

Then, on the back of the card, both have good melee attacks. Dropped Down a Hole is a monstrous Trigger but Mah1 has a pretty great assortment as well and has higher damage. Still, denying Defense Triggers and going through Armor is good stuff so it all depends on the target.

Handful of Snakes turns into a Harpoon Gun which has a longer range and a better stat but doesn't do blasts. Still, I think that Harpoon Gun looks better since those Triggers do crazy things. I mean, Mah1 also had very good Triggers but Wave Emitter can be game-deciding against some crews.

Horrible Hollering kinda turns into Scatter - both have their pros. Unresisted Pushes are scary, though.

Focus Pulse moves from the Push effect into a TN13 Def Pulse with a choice of good, nasty Conditions. Creative Cussing is way easier to set up properly but Another Gremlin's Trash is far from bad.

Finally, both have Create Trap.

So the thing Mah2 needs is Scrap and unfortunately, getting that in Bayou isn't quite trivial. There's Akaname if you're truly desperate for a Focus Pulse but Mech Pork is likely the best candidate. Survivors can get Scrap up the board with a Trigger which seems very nice with Mah2. Survivors also have Magnetism which works really nicely with Mah2 being a Construct. Being a Construct means that Sparks can also heal Mah2 though naturally having two models with Scrapyard Mines isn't the best.

11 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

So the thing Mah2 needs is Scrap and unfortunately, getting that in Bayou isn't quite trivial. There's Akaname if you're truly desperate for a Focus Pulse but Mech Pork is likely the best candidate. Survivors can get Scrap up the board with a Trigger which seems very nice with Mah2.

With Scrapyard Mines Mah2 can treat any Pit Trap within 6" of her as scrap and you'll probably be bringing the Rock Hopper with her unless you're facing a faction known for ignoring armor, so I doubt getting scrap on the board will be an issue.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I like the look of her! First of all, the concept is great and I'm really looking forward to the model! On the rules side she seems extremely versatile and has a ton of tricks in her toolbox. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed about is that she seems like a slight variation of Mah1 and doesn't offer a wholly new playstyle as such like so many of the other titles have done.

Mah1 and the Tricksy keyword is highly all-rounded that it could be really difficult to design a new title for her that works well with the existing models in keyword and at the meanwhile brings a totally different direction and playstyle.

I think the Mecha-Mah is, instead of bringing new option to the player, asking a tough question to opponent: what do you bring to play against Mah? Do you bring Wp attack for Mah1, or anti-armor for Mah2? And since both versions are variable enough to adapt to most pool and matchup, it is not easy to guess which Mah you are putting on the table, and hence harder to counter.

And since both Mah can preform similarly in the same pool, the choice between them is imo based on the matchup more than the S&S. Like if the opponent's crew has no enough movement trick, then Mecha-Mah can make them struggle.

What does "ignores vertical distance" mean exactly? Can she move on top of stuff that isn't Climbable? If there's a Ht 4 house with a roof that can be traversed, does she really use no movement getting on top just moving like she would on open ground?

According to the latest FAQ, ignoring vertical distance does mean that 1) ignores falling damage, and 2) moves vertically in Climbable terrain without spending any movement in a Walk. It however does not help the model to push through Climbable terrain.

Then, on the back of the card, both have good melee attacks. Dropped Down a Hole is a monstrous Trigger but Mah1 has a pretty great assortment as well and has higher damage. Still, denying Defense Triggers and going through Armor is good stuff so it all depends on the target.

The Drill does have larger range than the Spoon too. But I would not argue that Mecha-Mah has lost a lot of melee capability comparing to vanilla version.

Handful of Snakes turns into a Harpoon Gun which has a longer range and a better stat but doesn't do blasts. Still, I think that Harpoon Gun looks better since those Triggers do crazy things. I mean, Mah1 also had very good Triggers but Wave Emitter can be game-deciding against some crews.

Harpoon Gun is more valuable on single beater model imo. Pulling in can help engaging the enemy , and staggered can keep it in place. And yes the Wave Emitter is situational excellent.

Focus Pulse moves from the Push effect into a TN13 Def Pulse with a choice of good, nasty Conditions. Creative Cussing is way easier to set up properly but Another Gremlin's Trash is far from bad.

Mecha-Mah can, as mentioned above, give out Focus from Pit Trap marker. It has a smaller area, but instead she can now benefit from the Focus.

Finally, both have Create Trap.

Exchanging the drawing trigger for a mid-range transport.

So the thing Mah2 needs is Scrap and unfortunately, getting that in Bayou isn't quite trivial. There's Akaname if you're truly desperate for a Focus Pulse but Mech Pork is likely the best candidate. Survivors can get Scrap up the board with a Trigger which seems very nice with Mah2. Survivors also have Magnetism which works really nicely with Mah2 being a Construct. Being a Construct means that Sparks can also heal Mah2 though naturally having two models with Scrapyard Mines isn't the best.

Mech Porkchop is almost an auto-include imo, because of the Scrap marker generation from Walk Forge and another hazard terrain from Vent Steam. Sparks or Bokor as a healer is also high on the list. After then she can work very well with any models.

Edited by Rufess
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ThreeBatts said:

Is anyone else wondering why she turned her rocking chair into a robot spider?

I think the better question is why doesn't every granny turn their rocking chair into a giant, harpoon gun rocking, robot spider!

Obuela's gunna be sooooo jealous!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 3

On 8/24/2021 at 10:47 AM, Barmution said:

With Scrapyard Mines Mah2 can treat any Pit Trap within 6" of her as scrap and you'll probably be bringing the Rock Hopper with her unless you're facing a faction known for ignoring armor, so I doubt getting scrap on the board will be an issue.

Oh aye, it's just a shame to "waste" a Pit Trap into my own deployment zone if I wish to splash Focus. Rock Hopper is naturally a fine source of Scrap that I honestly forgot to include in the list though I did have him in mind originally (not a big surprised considering the thread :D)

On 8/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, Rufess said:

Mah1 and the Tricksy keyword is highly all-rounded that it could be really difficult to design a new title for her that works well with the existing models in keyword and at the meanwhile brings a totally different direction and playstyle.

Yeah, that's true in a way. I mean, you could've made Mah into a Summoner or Schemer or something if you really wanted to change things up and, to be fair, her keyword is very self-sufficient so I think they had a free reign there but I do agree that Mah2 is still suitably different from Mah1 and I'm not hugely disappointed or anything - far from it!

I think the Mecha-Mah is, instead of bringing new option to the player, asking a tough question to opponent: what do you bring to play against Mah? Do you bring Wp attack for Mah1, or anti-armor for Mah2? And since both versions are variable enough to adapt to most pool and matchup, it is not easy to guess which Mah you are putting on the table, and hence harder to counter.

And since both Mah can preform similarly in the same pool, the choice between them is imo based on the matchup more than the S&S. Like if the opponent's crew has no enough movement trick, then Mecha-Mah can make them struggle.

Yeah, this is a good point - with radically different titles it'll be a lot easier to try and counter the obvious choice for the S&S but with Mah that's going to be difficult.

Mecha-Mah can, as mentioned above, give out Focus from Pit Trap marker. It has a smaller area, but instead she can now benefit from the Focus.

Yeah, that's a good point that Mah can now get Focus herself from the Pulse which is certainly very handy!

Mech Porkchop is almost an auto-include imo, because of the Scrap marker generation from Walk Forge and another hazard terrain from Vent Steam. Sparks or Bokor as a healer is also high on the list. After then she can work very well with any models.

Yeah, Mech Pork is very solid. My only complaint with it is the 0" Ml reach but you can't have all.

Mah2 also kinda makes Sparks changes make more sense as I really wasn't very fond of him for Mah1 (he felt even more like a Mei's mini after the errata).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Question on Another Gremlin's Trash: if there's multiple enemies, can you give some of them Staggered and some Stunned or do you have to choose one Condition for all of them?

I'd say the former, but I'm not great on rules.

Each simple duel would have it's own decision. If it was intended to be the latter, I think Wyrd should have worded it differently, by putting the Staggered/Stunned decision before the tests. Something like...

"Once per turn. Target a scrap marker. Choose Staggered or Stunned. Enemy models within :new-Pulse:2 of the target must pass a TN 13 DF duel or gain the chosen Condtion."

Less words/characters, would have made the intent to mean the latter much clearer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Now I know that, like everything else in Malifaux, It Depends™ but what sort of game plans have people been forming with Mecha-Meemaw?

I'm nowhere near a very experienced player but I feel like so much of Tricksy's strength is in repositioning stuff that I always want to be running 9ish models so that I don't activate out too soon.  Thus far this has meant two Bushwhackers and two Survivors in addition to Porkchop, Hopper, and Sparks.

I also keep wanting to have Mah be fat somewhere while Hopper and Porkchop drop Scrap somewhere else far away so that everyone can be riding the rails all over, but in practice it seems like riding the rails is too inefficient turns 2/3 and is better either turn 1 to get in place or towards the end of the game to just get out of engagement.  Trying to keep either Sparks or Mah near Pit Traps has also been a huge hassle, so it feels like a big rail network is just not feasible.

How's it been going for everyone else?

• 2 weeks later...