how about 2/3 motor scouts in a roster?

pawlik

hi,
i understimated te kickastarter backing and ordered an additional motor scout.. and now i have 3 motor scouts coming my way, along witth at 1 of each other units. with that i am puzzled - i consider motor scout to be objective grabber, along with low cost units (e.g. infiltrators). I see myself taking 1, possibly summonig 1 thanks to glory (and switching him to glory is relatively easy using king's empire stratagems), but i don't see much use for more. Possibly he could give out reinforcement tokens via upgrade, but this seems to be low value for a 3 scrip investment.

so, do you see yourself taking 2/3 motor scouts in the same time? if yes, what would you want them to do?

in several of the operations having cheap mobile elements gives you a strong advantage on the scoring of objectives. Additionally their ability to procreate means you can have quite a few of those units running around acting as free passes and driving deep into the opponents backfield. Additionally they can draw fire away from your damage dealing troops because they are able to be in the action so rapidly. Don't underestimate in an operation like Set traps how having these little bee units can be.

I used to go with the "always good to have an extra one around" with Ramos's spiders. now, i don't want to to repeat that unless it is necessary :D

Also, thanks for the feedback. Rancor - you mentioned sending the scouts to opponent's backfield, did you have any experience with that in actual play? i only run a few games so far, but i feel that it is very easy to remove a champion form the table if enemy focuses his attacks (not that wasting a complete unit's activation to remove it would be bad, but i would hesitate before sending an easy to kill unit as a decoy).

An easy to kill decoy that can score if ignored becomes a risk worth taking. They’re not particularly strong, so they’re not worth sending a unit after. But you win on points, and if ignoring it loses you the game, then you should have sent a unit after it.

Hordes can do the same with Egg Clutches and the Storm Siren.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got the opportunity to play my first real game yesterday and I can attest a pair of Motor Scouts worked wonders for objective claiming. I gave them each the Toughness asset (1 script for two copies, making the pair of Scouts 5 script in total). Basically they're fast enough to start scoring me points from objectives Turn 1 and with Toughness they can even tank oncoming units for a decent amount of time while the rest of my army does their thing. I highly encourage you try them out if you haven't already.

13 hours ago, WWHSD said:

You can run 25 Motor Scouts in the same 2 commander army, right?

Yes.. but like with other spam lists, you'll eventually find yourself coming up short on things you need to accomplish in the mission.

As @retnab mentioned: they're not going to stick around very long. Worse still, if you're playing an operation that scores on fireteam and unit kills, you're bringing a lot of easy points for your opponent. Even if you're not, your opponent might have things that trigger on wiping out units.

Help your commanders out and put something in that can take a few hits and still keep on keepin' on. Tailor the rest to the operation you're playing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Let's be honest.  You don't want 25 motor scouts for 50 script.  What you really want is 20 Motor Scouts each with the Tough upgrade (20 copies at the buy-one-get-one-free price) so they can take a few hits.  :)

At that point you'd really have to ask yourself two questions:

1. What am I going to use to track Glory for each of these things?
  2. What am I going to use to track the status of their Tough asset for each of these things?

Disclaimer:  I'll accept a 2% commission on army sales if anyone wants to spend $500 on 25 motor scouts.  (20 to start, and 5 for in case you get lucky on your spawning.)  🙃